Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
lesson learned! >

lesson learned!

lesson learned!

Old 07-06-2013, 04:19 AM

I am in the process of making a quilt with appliqued bears on it. Half of the bears are SUPPOSED to be going one way and the rest the other way. Isn't going to happen ! All mine will be going the same direction.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:00 AM

I just hate when that happens!! I hope it works out for you.Gina
Old 07-06-2013, 06:17 AM

I make sample blocks first - to figure it out - discover the pitfalls - get a really good look at it - do I really want to make #'s of this, etc.

Marysewfun
Old 07-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

So sorry, hope all turned out ok!!!!
Old 07-06-2013, 09:54 AM

Default Lesson learned

I recently made Anita's Arrowheads and loved it. She is such an innovative thinker who has figured out new ways to construct blocks-and so very generously shared them- so if you just go slowly, forget your usual methods and follow hers step by step you will be amazed at how fast those blocks get done! PS-yes, you can pick out the stitches on the wrong corners and stitch the correct ones and it will be fine.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
After many years of quilting, my #1 rule is that good old carpenters motto. "Measure twice, cut once." Making one sample block before jumping into an entire pattern has saved me a lot of disappointment over the years. Read and re- read the instructions, then do a sample block with scraps. Makes me happy peace
I learned the hard way to always do a sample block, or blocks. I have an entire bag full of fabric I wouldn't use in a quilt, and that's what I use for the sample blocks. Then I don't feel so badly about throwing it away -- as soon as I've finished the project. Those sample blocks can come in handy, especially if you are doing a different color block than the original.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
After many years of quilting, my #1 rule is that good old carpenters motto. "Measure twice, cut once." Making one sample block before jumping into an entire pattern has saved me a lot of disappointment over the years. Read and re- read the instructions, then do a sample block with scraps. Makes me happy peace
Amen to this!! I learned the hard way not to cut everything for the quilt until you've tried samples first with the fabric you planned to use. I cut everything, put 4 blocks together, and hated it! Could have used all that fabric somewhere else!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:54 PM

I took a class on Anita's Arrowhead this spring so I know how easy it was to cut in wrong place. But it does make a pretty block and once you make one, you will have no trouble making more. Always amazing to me how folks can figure out a new way to make a neat design.