Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: Let's give some Gold Stars to our LQS/Fab. stores!

My favorite shop is Candlelite Quilt Shop in Chelmsford, MA. I was there early the other day (for a class) and a new person came in. Both the owner, Cathy, and manager, Lisa, happened to be working that day. They both greeted the new person, introduced themselves, welcomed her to the shop, asked where she was from, asked if she needed help with ANYTHING, etc etc. VERY IMPRESSIVE AND I'VE HEARD AND SEEN THEM DO THIS WITH MANY NEW CUSTOMERS. Oldies like me are always greeted warmly and still asked if we need help! They go out of their way to be warm, friendly, and helpful in any way - even changing my cutting blades for me! Just can't say enough about this shop! The other workers there are also warm and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BABAREEBA
    I love Country Quilts and Bears in Clearwater, Fl. The owners Marilyn and John, and the staff are so nice and helpful.
    I, too, love Country Quilts and Bears in Clear wa wa; just wish I could get there more (700 miles away)!

Yes, I love that place also, The Country Quilts and Bears in Clearwater. Great people and beautiful fabric!

Odessa,
    We were just in Frankenmuth, MI on Sat and I went to the Front Porch Quilt shop. I didn't need anything but had to stop. I'm glad I did. We had stopped at another shop and I bought material on sale for a table runner. I was not happy with one of the colors I bought. Jan helped me. I saw they had Elna sewing machines and we started talking. I have an Elna from1973 and was curious about their quilting machines. She was wonderful. Actually all the ladies there that day helped me find the right color. Jan even asked me to send her the name of my pattern I was using. She said it sounded like something people would like. Great shop.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just went to one in Tillamook, OR. I wanted to see if they had any quilting stencils, because I don't have any. They had some, and hubby let me get one, are you ready for the price? $2.89. I was so excited. The store is called Jane's fabric patch, and Jane was busy with customers, that was fine, as I love to look, but she greeted me when I came in. any way I was looking around and pretty soon here came Jane, she said, I did not mean to ecnor you, I just got real busy, I told her I had no problem with that at all, and thanked her for her help. But she has a huge selection on everything, I could of spent all day there just browsing, but hubby was waiting out side. but great service and selection. But most of all, I am the proud owner of a quilt stencil now :-D God bless. Penny

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954
    The Quilter's Stash in N. Attleboro, Massachusetts. Now, mind you, I have not been there in a while since I live so far away, but I do remember them being very helpful whenever I was looking for something specific. It was a great little store, and I miss it.
    Totally agree! Sue and Barry are the owners of Quilter's Stash and very helpful but so is the entire staff. It is my favorite fabric store by far!

Blog Entries
    Since I just moved to northern Colorado I'll bet I find a whole lot more gold star shops here.[/quote]

Don't miss Quilters Cabin in Colby, KS or Quilt Cottage in Hays, KS...both are amazing stores with great service and fabulous fabrics...I am also in love with Quilters Quarters in Leavenworth, KS.

Darcene

Tiny Stitches in Marietta, Georgia. Lots of knowledgeable people who don't mind auditioning multiple fabrics for a project. Always feel welcome there.

Somewhere near the water in beautiful Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by ksea
    Isn't it true that sometimes it is so much easier to remember the bad instead of the good and complain rather than praise, as for me I'm glad that Joanns treated me bad because it sent me to Fields Fabric in Grand Rapids MI on Plainfield RD. and they are the nicest and the most helpful women I have had the pleasure of dealing with. I live in Grand Rapids and am planning on taking a quilting store trip in a few weeks so I have just added 3 more stores to my list just by reading this thread, if anyone else has any really good places in Michigan let me know, my hubby and I are planning on a 5 day trip right now but he is awesome when it comes to trips like this and will gladly add miles and miles for me if I want to add shops to the list.

My recommendations:
    Fabric Fair in Bay City
    Front Porch in Frankenmuth
    Gloria's Happy Hooker in Sault Ste. Marie
    The Icehouse in Grayling
    Hollyhock Quilt Shop in Harrisville(?) up the east coast on US-23
    Material Mart in Midland
    There's another one in Paradise (in the UP), but I don't recall the name offhand.

Happy travels!

Somewhere near the water in beautiful Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammie Sharon
    Odessa,
    We were just in Frankenmuth, MI on Sat and I went to the Front Porch Quilt shop. I didn't need anything but had to stop. I'm glad I did. We had stopped at another shop and I bought material on sale for a table runner. I was not happy with one of the colors I bought. Jan helped me. I saw they had Elna sewing machines and we started talking. I have an Elna from1973 and was curious about their quilting machines. She was wonderful. Actually all the ladies there that day helped me find the right color. Jan even asked me to send her the name of my pattern I was using. She said it sounded like something people would like. Great shop.
    So glad you had a great experience there. Not a huge shop by any means, but the "extras" (even an up north retreat house) are really nice amenities to have, aren't they?

Caroline's Quilt shop is absolutely terrific. You won't find a more friendly and helpful woman in the world. She is overly generous and has a lovely tea on the 3rd Saturday of the month. She has a very nice collection of fabrics and sewing machines. Has a house (converted into the shop) and has rooms that can be rented for sewing retreats. The shop is in West Branch Michigan and can't be beat any where.

There are several LQS in the Tucson area (a hotbed for quilters it seems). I frequent 3 of them - The Quilter's Market, Bella Quiltworks, and Quilter's Desert Patch (aka "The Trailer"). They all have different quilting fabric specialties, so I can always find what I need for whatever I'm currently working on in one of these stores and the folks who work in them are top notch - very helpful and friendly. Thank You LQS's - keep up the great work!

I went to Nancy's Quilt Shop in Winter Garden, Florida & although it's very small, she has gorgeous fabrics in there & very helpful staff. As I was having buying a panel for a baby quilt that needs to be done in two weeks, & the clerk actually used her 6 x 24" ruler to find dead center between the panels and cut it perfectly! I'm so used to the hack & slash I've always gotten in the past, it blew me away!! Definitely going back, even though the fabrics are $9.50 a yard+

Blog Entries
    I went to Erica's in South Bend, In. for the first time the other day. Loved it. Everyone was so nice and helpful. If you are in the area the are having a big sale tomorrow. I also like our LQS Needle and Thread very much. They will be so qlad to help with any problem, question or choice.

Blog Entries
    Quilt Connection in Murfreesboro Tn is awesome. The first time I went in there, I brought the quilt I have started. I already had the material for the squares. I was on my way to Joannes to find material for the sashing and borders. The owner of this shop used her EQ7 software to put my design in and play with different ways to place my squares, different sizes of sashing borders etc....helped me find fabric for sashing...she was awesome. I have bought every bit of material from her since! I had no idea that Joanne's material was "cheap" till I found this place. The difference in weight and feel is huge.

Blog Entries
    Haven't read all the thread yet, but before I forget....Mrs Millers in Charm,Ohio is my LQS,tho it's 60 miles or so from me.I n pataskala,Oh is the Calico Cupboard.Both shops will offer help if needed, they know their stock, & do ans E mails in a timely manner.
    In Sevierville,Tn, Ida's is my fav shop.I always go there when in Tn & usually more than once.What a huge selection of patterns & samples they have.
    Wanted to say our local Joanns isn't a huge store,so they don't have a lot....but I've never had a problem with anyone there.In fact, a couple clerks are very friendly & know the stock.

Im lovin the 3 that are about an hour or less away from me no particular favorite order so I will list them by distance.
    1. The cotton junkie
    2.Mason Jar quilt shop
    3.The fabric Shack.
    Wonderful shops and if I had more self control I would visit them more frequently but I always spend too much money ,esp at the fabric shack I LOVE their remnent tables cause I love scraps.
    Rae.

Valley Fabrics in Lyman Wyoming. The people are friendly, lots of eye candy there. they have an attached classroom and you can always walk through and see other people's new quilts. The ladies there are friendly without suffocating you. they are knowledgeable and best of all they have a wonderful little "toy" area built in to keep small kids occupied. This is my favorite place. My mom and i used to stash up money all year and go once a year and spend darn near every dime we had saved up.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7