Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Light Weight Batting Suggestions >

Light Weight Batting Suggestions

Light Weight Batting Suggestions

Old 03-15-2016, 04:00 AM

Default Light Weight Batting Suggestions

A lady friend of mine who lives in San Antonio, TX has asked me to make her an Irish Chain quilt. OK, so that is the easy part. But she wants a very light weight batting because of the weather in TX. I've always used Warn and Natural in my quilts. Is there anything else that can be used? Suggestions please. Thank you!!
Old 03-15-2016, 04:22 AM

Quilter's Dream Request.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Wool. Lightweight. Breaths, so cool in summer, warm in winter. Downside, expensive.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

I agree with feline fanatic that the best choice would be wool.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:59 AM

I second Quilters dream for thinness. But I use W&N in my quilts in Florida and it's fine.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:22 PM

Quilters Dream...Dream Orient It is silk, bamboo, eucalyptus, and cotton. Used it in a quilt for my daughter in California. She says it's cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It drapes beautifully and was great to quilt with.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:46 PM

Wool for sure would be the best choice. 2nd choice would be QD Request but that will show little to no definition in your quilting. Or cotton flannel. Whatever you choose, make sure it doesn't include synthetic fibers like polyester, rayon or "bamboo" (the stuff marketed as "bamboo" is actually a type of rayon) as those fibers don't breathe & trap in sweat and body heat. Wool is fantastic -- warm in the winter, cool in the summer. It wicks away moisture so you are comfortable regardless of heat or humidity.

Also, you could pick cotton fabrics that are less dense (like 1930's & civil war repros and some others). Less dense fabrics breathe more & keep you cooler. Definitely wouldn't use bed sheets for the back if her goal is to keep cool. It also helps not to "overquilt" (tiny, dense fillers) and to use 100% cotton thread if you plan to quilt less than 2" apart.

Last edited by Bree123; 03-15-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:52 PM

I have made numerous quilts with silk batting. It is lightweight and wonderful. Cool in summer, warm in winter, and naturally hypoallergenic. Dust mites can't live in silk. It is just a bit more expensive than 100% cotton. It's machine washable too.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Wool for sure would be the best choice. 2nd choice would be QD Request but that will show little to no definition in your quilting. Or cotton flannel. Whatever you choose, make sure it doesn't include synthetic fibers like polyester, rayon or "bamboo" (the stuff marketed as "bamboo" is actually a type of rayon) as those fibers don't breathe & trap in sweat and body heat. Wool is fantastic -- warm in the winter, cool in the summer. It wicks away moisture so you are comfortable regardless of heat or humidity.

Also, you could pick cotton fabrics that are less dense (like 1930's & civil war repros and some others). Less dense fabrics breathe more & keep you cooler. Definitely wouldn't use bed sheets for the back if her goal is to keep cool. It also helps not to "overquilt" (tiny, dense fillers) and to use 100% cotton thread if you plan to quilt less than 2" apart.
I am not associated with the company but Quilters Dream .... Dream Orient DOES NOT use a synthetic product in place of organic bamboo fiber. It is the only batting company our business deals with because if they are selling a synthetic like their Dream Poly they tell you so. In light of the above comment it might be wise to avoid other companies selling a "bamboo" batting. Anything synthetic would definitely be hotter.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:01 AM

Consider silk. I made a quilt with silk batting for my son and DIL and they use it all year around without discomfort. It was very easy to work with.