Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
long arm sewing machines >

long arm sewing machines

long arm sewing machines

Old 09-15-2009, 10:04 AM

Does anyone know where, on internet or otherwise, how I can find a "reasonably" priced sewing machine for my Grace frame?
I'd like to find one with a larger than 8" wide throat; looking somewhere in the range of 13-15 inches on up. Thanks in advance for your help. From reading the messages on the board you ladies are a font of all knowledge.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:11 PM

What do you consider "reasonably priced"? Some of the people on board have a Bailey, which if I remember right, they've been pleased with it and the service and what I would consider reasonably priced. When I get a much bigger sewing room, I plan on getting a Bailey.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:10 PM

Sew and Vac. com
Old 09-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

Try joining the homequiltingsystems group at Yahoo! They have a file listing sewing machines and frames for sale from quilters who are upgrading. They also have a file that lists which machine brands are available in each size. (I think 13-15" would be considered midarm.) Once you narrow down your choices, you can Google websites for cost info and search old posts for comments. You can also post and ask for suggestions, although the list owners like people to grub through the files for basic information first.

Edit: Okay, I went and checked their file. Bailey is listed as available in 13 and 15"; I know Bailey is a "stretched" regular machine. Comments on the list about Bailey have generally been very positive. Other brands: Handiquilter is 16", Gammill, B-Line, ABM, Innova have 18". I remember seeing comments from a couple of quilters who recently bought the Innova because they thought it was good value for cost.

Here's a link to the Bailey 13" with cost info:
http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/homequilter.html
Old 09-15-2009, 03:21 PM

My "significant other" otherwise known as my spousal equivalent thinks that a used mid or long arm sewing machine can be had for under $1000. I found one site that had one for $599 but I couldn't find shipping. Thank you so much for your info; I'm noting it down and getting ready to troll the internet.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:24 PM

Thanks so much. You have given me a lot of ideas and pointed out some directions to go in. I'll start trolling the internet and hopefully come up with at least a starting or stumbling price.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:32 PM

Try looking at the Voyager 17. I don't know if that machine is too heavy for the Grace frame, but it is worth a try.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:53 PM

i'm a big tin lizzie advocate. 18" and i believe the grace will hold the weight.
BUT, how big a machine will actually be able to work on the work area of your frame. the frame has to have been built for the throat size. i can't use my frame, that now holds an 18" machine. for a 24" machine and still have space to work. the front end of the base of the machine would bump into the front roller. so there wouldn't be a lot of back/forth movement. try some machines, see what you like, go to their blogsites and see if anyone is selling. lurk for a while and see what they like and what they don't.. you get to learn a lot that sellers don't tell you.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:19 AM

I have the HObby Quilter.......now known as the funquilter by Nolting. I haven't had any problems with it thus far....

I know that the Voyager 17 is also a stretched machine. When they first came out I was on the waiting list for that but never got a call. I was impatient anyway and got the one from Nolting. I have mine on the Hinterburg frame.

Hinterburg, I believe, sells the voyager17 also.

Barb
Old 09-19-2009, 06:05 AM

my Bailey 15" is on a grace pro frame