Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Looking for "busy bag" pattern like on the Bonnie Hunter blog pictures

Looking for "busy bag" pattern like on the Bonnie Hunter blog pictures

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/ They are riding on a bus and there are pictures of lots of handwork, and in some, there are small quilted pieces with pockets and such to store your hand projects. Looking for directions or a pattern to make something like this. Hope all my quiting friends are staying safe with all the bizarre weather we are having... Faye

I made a Midi bag to be my "busy bag" I use to use a Bow Tuck; both are just standard bag patterns with lots of space inside. There are so many needle book patterns out there some free some for a fee. Most people embellish them with a saying or make a crazy quilt block then use that for a book cover. I also have old cigar boxes that I store each project in so pieces don't get lost. I have seen some use old sewing, cookie, mint tins to store needles thimbles and other little necessaries. Can't wait to see what you come up with :-)

Nice idea, not sure how to do it. Will be watching.

I just saw that Bonnie Hunter posting also! I was out googling for busy bags but all that comes up is for little kids. I am curious to see what others post here.

Blog Entries
    Just an idea: Maybe you could use a "jewelry travel bag" like this one? Although it might be larger than you would like. http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...k=g&matchtype=
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

http://www.allfreesewing.com/Miscell...zer%20Tutorial
    Have fun! You could also check free sewing patterns for wallets, there are lots of those available,
    Last edited by hevemi; 06-13-2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: afterthought

The "Bonnie" ones are eye-catching. They interested me also.

Send Bonnie Hunter a note on her facebook page or on her blog. She seems to be really good about responding directly to a question.

I have a few Yazzii bags, which are half off right now at www.Joann.com. I have the large organizer with pages and the supreme organizer. The large organizer is fairly small and is great for carrying handwork; the supreme organizer is great for bringing all your supplies to a class or retreat.

I also just purchased a pattern for an organizer but I haven't had time to make it yet. It's this one: http://www.byannie.com/shop/product/hold-everything/ but she's got a number of patterns that are great for this sort of thing.

I searched her blog and found where she bought hers at a knit shop while traveling. I would think almost any bag with zippered pockets that isn't huge would work. I may have to go on a busy bag hunt for myself. Teeheehee. That Bonnie Hunter is such an enabler.

I now have a two treadles because of her. LOL Oh, and an Ikea clip on lamp also. That was much cheaper than the treadles though.

Blog Entries
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

They looked like small jewelry or cosmetic bags to me.
    Karen in Kentucky

Lotta good links on here, thanks!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    I bought a yazzii organizer bag. So far it's the perfect take along busy bag for me. Overstock has it on sale:

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...id=OPTOUT:2013

to see all the bags go here: http://www.yazzii.com/ I have several made bags given to me but the plastic tore out of the seams or ripped and the seam threads broke in places. If you make one be sure and use quality clear vinyl and upholstery thread.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood Quilter View Post
    I really like this. Perfect for taking hand work

Here's an EASY PEASY idea. You can use potholders or placemats. Sorry no pictures!

1. Take your regular baggies (either sandwich size for the potholder, or gallon size for the placemat) and stagger then slightly so that the "zip" part lay under each other. I suggest 4-5 per "side".

2. Lay half of the baggies to the left side of the potholder/placemat and half on the right side.

3. Place a length of fabric down the middle of the baggies (also the middle of the potholder/placemat. Stitch both sides of fabric strip down all around. Trim excess baggie bottoms that stick out.

4. Fold in half and sew a button on one side with a loop on the other side to hold closed.

I have on made from a potholder and I carry it with me to all quilt classes as I have all my little essentials with me at all times.

Hope this works for you!
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Here is a link that explains what maxme01 was explaining about the pot holder and baggies, while I love the look of other busy bags I have seen, I could easily make this one tonight and it would work well. Thanks for the reminder that I had saved this link to Pinterest.

http://www.asouthernbellewithnorther...se-pocket.html

Quote Originally Posted by maxnme01 View Post
    Here's an EASY PEASY idea. You can use potholders or placemats. Sorry no pictures!

1. Take your regular baggies (either sandwich size for the potholder, or gallon size for the placemat) and stagger then slightly so that the "zip" part lay under each other. I suggest 4-5 per "side".

2. Lay half of the baggies to the left side of the potholder/placemat and half on the right side.

3. Place a length of fabric down the middle of the baggies (also the middle of the potholder/placemat. Stitch both sides of fabric strip down all around. Trim excess baggie bottoms that stick out.

4. Fold in half and sew a button on one side with a loop on the other side to hold closed.

I have on made from a potholder and I carry it with me to all quilt classes as I have all my little essentials with me at all times.

Hope this works for you!
    I got one of these as a gift, and every time I use it, everyone wants to know where I got it. Very handy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood Quilter View Post
    Love this one!! Going to get the pattern tomorrow! great travel bag for anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by MargaretH View Post
    I really like this. Perfect for taking hand work
    Oh, thanks for sharing this!! I think I might have to get this!
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

Blog Entries
    I you are using the plastic bags to make one, be sure it is the heavy freezer bags. Regular sandwich bags will not hold up.
    Got fabric?

I like that Kwik sew pattern very sharp. I bought a cosmetic bag yesterday at Meijer (large chain grocery store). It was a perfect size and had zippers. I have jury duty this Thursday so I am going to see if I can get through security with it. I also bought a pair of blunt tipped scissors (nose scissors) that Bonnie travels with. I love this board.