Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking to get a longarm...where will I get my tops? >

Looking to get a longarm...where will I get my tops?

Looking to get a longarm...where will I get my tops?

Old 05-22-2015, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by DebD800 View Post
There are quite a few charity quilting groups that will be happy for your help. I do work for Quilts Beyond Borders which mails tops to quilters; you can go to their website for more information. You can also google charity quilting groups in your area.
I'll second this motion - Quilts Beyond Borders is a great group and they have regional coordinators all over the country to send and receive the quilts so postage isn't a lot. Another thought is to check for a Project Linus group in your area. Those quilts are usually small and great to practice different designs and techniques.
Happy quilting on your new machine!
Old 05-22-2015, 03:55 PM

After you get proficient, there is no reason to worry about it. That long arm isn't going anywhere and should last you to the end of your days. Just use it occasionally and it will last. I have had mine for 7 years now, two, maybe three quilts a year go through it. I plan on making it last for as long as I am around and don't plan on expiring anytime soon. No rules say you have to keep the thing loaded and cranking. It makes a nice piece of furniture. You might find a friend who wants to learn and split the cost of running it. tim in san jose
Old 05-22-2015, 04:20 PM

Many of the big name quilters have said that they started out with charity quilts. Not only is it an excellent learning tool, but you don't have to keep looking at any "mistakes" you feel you might have made.

Linda in Missouri
Old 05-22-2015, 04:48 PM

I hope you will check out Lenova machine, they also have the computerized version. I don't have the computer part but just love my long arm machine
Old 05-22-2015, 05:40 PM

If we knew your general location I am sure some QB members could give you more specific contacts.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:18 PM

Mine sits when I am not in need of quilting a top. Nothing says you have to use it all the time. You don't seem to need to pay for it, so just do what you want. Having said that if you want to practice a lot I vote for charity quilts. There are so many places that need quilts.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:32 AM

Just let friends and others in your area know you have a long arm. They will come out of no where. Be sure to let local churches and social groups know you will be willing to do charity quilts. And there is also the internet. Search under quilts for charity, or keep you eye open for news programs for other advertisements.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:08 PM

You can check with Quilts of Valor as well, though they have guidelines you have to meet. I have also gotten quilt tops from http://heartstringsquiltproject.com. They send you tops and bottoms and you donate the finished quilt to whomever you like.

Definitely check your local guilds, senior centers, scout groups, or church groups to see if they have charity quilts to quilt.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:30 PM

I would love to find a local LAQ to do my charity quilts. I find I like the piecing better than the quilting. I have several tops waiting to be quilted but just don't have the inspiration or talent to do anything but straight line quilting. Have fun with your new toy.