Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for ideas for an artisan fair >

Looking for ideas for an artisan fair

Looking for ideas for an artisan fair

Old 04-01-2014, 05:40 AM

Default Looking for ideas for an artisan fair

Hi everyone,
After quilting for two years and making 15 quilts for friends and family members, I have now enough confidence in my quilting abilities to show my work at an artisan fair. I have apply for one that will be held on November. The committee wants to meet me and evaluate my work at the end of April. So I have a few weeks in front of me to prepare a small inventory of articles I would like to sell.

I would love to get input from the ones who have some experience on this subject. Here a few informations about the specifics:

-The artisan fair is held annually, at the end of November (so it's for Christmas shopping). It get about 3000-4000 visitors. It`s the only fair of this kind in the year. It`s indoor, and it`s well advertised. The cost for a table is 200$ for three days.

-Quilting is really not a popular hobby in my area. Fabric is hard to find and cost a lot (16-17$/yard).

-Making money is not really the real motivation about going to this fair. Basically, I want my work to be out of my sewing room, seen by other people than my kids or my DH. For somebody who was not even able to sew five years ago, making quilt is quite an accomplishment (I see it more like pride than vanity)

I'm a mom of two kids and I work part time, so my sewing time is precious. I don't want to make tons of articles that I don't care sewing just for making up an inventory. So I was thinking about concentring my production on baby and kids items. Juvenile fabrics is what appeal me the most anyway.

For the evaluation committee, I already have three baby quilts done. I plan to make these article:
-a stroller quilt (20 X 30) with ties
-a taggie quilt (12 X 12)
-a young artist portefolio (for kids to carry their papers and pencil)
-a pencil roll
-a quilted toddler apron
-a quilted bib

What do you think of this inventory? Is there enough variety? Any other idea? For a 3000-5000 visitors 3 days show, how much of each one would you make? (I know it`s a question the committee will ask me, and I have really no idea!)

Any thought would be appreciated!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

It sounds like you are going for the right market. It is just before Christmas and Grandma's and Mom's may buy for Christmas presents. Things geared to children usually sell better but I have not had much luck in my area. I didn't do my usual Nov. Craft sale for that reason. I wish quilts and sewn things sold better. A couple of other things might be the crayon totes or soft activity books.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:08 AM

How about pillowcases. There are so many cute fabrics. Mug rugs or hot pads would be nice too.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:09 AM

Candle mats for christmas.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:50 AM

The bowl hot pds for the microwave. Remember, no polyester thread!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

All the ideas are great that have been mention above. Just be sure all of your items are squeaky clean with no loose threads or lint. Just think of it as bring a resume to a job application. I haven't done any shows recently but I never paid that much. Smaller items will sell much better than larger quilts. All you have to do is page thru on the internet and see items for sale. Good Luck.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 AM

When I was at the coffee shop I just saw the cutest carseat quilt, just the right size to cover the the whole baby with a nice overhang. It had minky on the back and plainer blocks on the front. And this little guy had a "doll" that had different things hanging off of it attached with tabs. Things that a baby likes to play with such as baby keys, a nook, etc. It was darling.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:09 AM

Christmas decorations- you can search in here and see some designs.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:16 AM

Don't forget bags, purses and totes.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:41 AM

Table toppers....place mats.....pot holders.....kleenex holders....??