Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: lots of Christmas fabric

Blog Entries

lots of Christmas fabric

I have lots of Christmas fabric and would like to make a queen size quilt - any ideas of patterns for a scrappy Christmas quilt? Happy New Year and happy quilting in 2015. Blessings to all
    Quilting in the Desert

I saw one a number of years back that was a rag quilt made with pieces that were 3-1/2" by 7" and it was gorgeous. No pattern, just staggered pieces. It truly was beautiful. What about a D9P?

I made a Trip Around the World pattern out of my Christmas fat quarters (nudging into my yardage for the outer rings). I had a lot of fun making it.

I am saving Christmas fabrics for a scrappy Log Cabin. I love the look of the LC in red. And green.

I did Double Slice with Christmas fabric. It's a Jenny Doan pattern.
    Holly

Do a crazy quilt.....fun........you can sash each square for control or just let it go CRAZY!!!!!!

I also have a lot of Christmas fabric--can't resist buying FQs they're so pretty. I could never come up with a pattern. What I do is use the Christmas fabric when I want to try out a new block pattern or if I just feel like sewing and don't have a project that I'm working on. I made about a dozen 4" blocks, some 12" blocks; I try to keep them in the same "multiple" of sizes. Over the course of a year I've made enough Christmas blocks to put together for a decent size quilt. I do mostly scrappy quilts anyhow--get bored making the same blocks over & over--so this works for me. It also gave me a nice break to make a Christmas block in July LOL.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

How about a sampler? You could have fun with many different blocks. You could even play at different sizes and then get creative with the sashing. I can almost see it.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I'm wanting to do a shadow box quilt using Christmas fabrics.....may do two. But will do rectangles.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

My go to pattern for any scrappy is a log cabin. Done in Christmas fabric it will be stunning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter View Post
    I have lots of Christmas fabric and would like to make a queen size quilt - any ideas of patterns for a scrappy Christmas quilt? Happy New Year and happy quilting in 2015. Blessings to all
    How about Prickly Pear by Cozy Quilts https://www.cozyquilt.com/Aspx/Produ...productID=2918 I have most of Cozy Quilts patterns. Watch the video on that page they used Christmas Fabric. This pattern also looks great in batiks.....

Bargello? I have seen some beautiful quilts made with Christmas fabrics.

yel
    Blog Entries
    a friend has a boston common in christmas fabric that is awesome

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the suggestions. I love the idea of a scrappy log cabin. Would each square be completely different - I can't visual it. Would the light side always be the same?
    Quilting in the Desert

If you can't visual it google pictures of scrappy log cabin quilts

Quote Originally Posted by btiny36 View Post
    How about Prickly Pear by Cozy Quilts https://www.cozyquilt.com/Aspx/Produ...productID=2918 I have most of Cozy Quilts patterns. Watch the video on that page they used Christmas Fabric. This pattern also looks great in batiks.....
    Oh! Oh! Oh! Mahalo for posting the link to this striking quilt.

I also collect Christmas fabric and was going to do another Log Cabin but Prickly Pear is now at the top of the Christmas Fabric DO IT List!!!!!
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

Blog Entries
    I did jellyroll quilts and app a tree on them. I love piecework with appliques on top. how about a random 9 patch with a cute app on it for added character.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I love the idea of a scrappy log cabin. Would each square be completely different - I can't visual it. Would the light side always be the same?
    I make every single block different using my design wall to audition the blocks as I build them.

With Christmas fabrics, I'd do one half reds and the other half greens. Just watch that the outside edges are contrasting values

I make my log cabins using Judy Martin's method of cutting all the strips in advance. I cut lots and lots and lots of extras. If there's a block or two that just doesn't work, there's plenty of leftovers to make another block.

I'll add that I build six blocks at a time on the design wall and then chain piece.

BUT take a photo before starting to sew! How many times has the phone rung/doorbell chimed/cat demanded new crunchies in their bowl and I've been left wondering what goes where?
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

I stitched a top before Christmas called River Trees. I still need to quilt it. If you have homespuns or plaids, it would look nice. Here is the link:

http://www.quiltviews.com/river-tree-the-quilt
    phranny ~ I cannot call my day complete. 'til needle, thread, and fabric meet.

Here's a triple Irish chain I did with Christmas fabrics... it's throw size, but you can just make it bigger....
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've used Turning Twenty patterns to use up fat quarters. I have always been happy with the results and they aren't difficult.
    Sophie2

Anita's Arrowhead (free online, just google) would be beautiful with a conistant white and then all of your wonderful Christmas prints. My guild did this pattern for our exchange blocks this year and it is a beautiful block.

Blog Entries
    I used Christmas scrapes in a snowball block. It came out beautiful
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I use pieces of xmas fabric as a backing, this makes it a 2 sided quilt, I just cut pieces and sew them together

Blog Entries
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  1.77 MB I also made a chevron design

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast