Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Lst night I met the Quilt Police!

Blog Entries

Lst night I met the Quilt Police!

Last night I (for the first time) turned in quilts to the local county fair.

The woman checking in the quilts gave me this big lecture about the location of my labels. She said it had to be in the lower left corner, so the judges would know which way was up when they hung the quilt.

The label that was on a diagonal really threw her for a loop! I laughed and told her I like to mix things up!

She again explained how if the lable isn't in the lower left corner, they may not know how to hang it up. Now, I was thinking, if they could read the label it should give them a clue (only the 1out of 3 was on a diagonal, the rest were strictly horizontal).

Finally, I just said "well, they are all portraits, so if the kids are standing on their heads, you have it upside down!"

It was pretty funny! This lady is from my guild (I am sure she didn't recognize me), and seemed to be sort of overwhelmed by it all. It took about 25-30 minutes to check in 3 quilts.

Banned
    In defense.........judges do prefer the labels to be on the lower left of the back. diagonal or otherwise is not important. It is just easier to flip the quilt and find the number or other identification if they are all consistent.

Whew! You handled that better than I would have!!

Your answer to her was a good one. But it makes sense that they have some rules.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Wow. That is an ordeal! I hope you take a ribbon!!

So, is it the lower left when looking at the quilt from the front or the back? I have never shown anything but on the two I've finished, I've put it on the lower left when looking at the back of the quilt.

Good luck - hope you win something.

Blog Entries
    Yes, it is the lower left of the back. I understand the reasoning behind it, but it was funny she just kept telling me. If that is what they like, they should list it in the rules. The quilts all had the check in info attached in the lower left corner, not necessarily where the label was. It just tickeled me.

Contests and any kind of judging have rules about sizes, labels, etc.
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

Oops, I've been doing it wrong. I have put the labels on the few quilts I've made in the lower right hand corner.

Blog Entries
    I really don't care what the rules are - I have no problem following them - but it would be nice to know what they are if I am expected to abide by them! LOL

Was this for the entry tag label?

Or for your personal label?

For our fairs, there are no instructions regarding either ... though it is very clearly noted that labels MUST be covered to hide any identifying info. I pin on a piece of fabric, slightly larger than the label, either the same as the backing, or a coordinating fabric.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    Another lesson would be that you make your quilts for your own enjoyment--and who cares where the labels are? I get that they want to make it "easier" but isn't quilting about individual taste?

Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    In defense.........judges do prefer the labels to be on the lower left of the back. diagonal or otherwise is not important. It is just easier to flip the quilt and find the number or other identification if they are all consistent.

Really???? I have never turned in a quilt to be judged but I have always put my label on the lower right of the back. Of course if you have the front of the quilt and you turn the lower left, you would see the label.

She was probably just overwhelmed and had maybe never done this before.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Blog Entries
    I am in charge of getting the quilts for the local fair registered and hung every year. The judges don't hang the quilts and should never know the name of the quilter before judging the quilts anyway and the quilts aren't hung until after judging. I guess every fair is different but the one in charge of the quilt display is in charge not the judges. This woman should learn to not be so rule oriented when it comes to fair quilts. A prize winning quilt will win no matter about the hanging or label guidelines are met or not. LOL
    Got fabric?

Another good reason why I would never enter any of my quilts in any kind of a show/fair, etc.
    I quilt only for my own pleasure.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    That makes sense - they only have to peek at one corner. the intake person made no sense not knowing which way is up! What a hoot!
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Know what? It all kind of makes me want to put it in the middle! (lol)
    SittingPretty

Blog Entries
    Anal! In need of some Xanax, I think. Do quilt police have badges?

SittingPretty, you are a rebel!
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Quote Originally Posted by grammatjr View Post
    Last night I (for the first time) turned in quilts to the local county fair.

The woman checking in the quilts gave me this big lecture about the location of my labels. She said it had to be in the lower left corner, so the judges would know which way was up when they hung the quilt.

The label that was on a diagonal really threw her for a loop! I laughed and told her I like to mix things up!

She again explained how if the lable isn't in the lower left corner, they may not know how to hang it up. Now, I was thinking, if they could read the label it should give them a clue (only the 1out of 3 was on a diagonal, the rest were strictly horizontal).

Finally, I just said "well, they are all portraits, so if the kids are standing on their heads, you have it upside down!"

It was pretty funny! This lady is from my guild (I am sure she didn't recognize me), and seemed to be sort of overwhelmed by it all. It took about 25-30 minutes to check in 3 quilts.
    So what did the written rules say? Enforcing the rules of a contest does not make her quilt police.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I think placement of the label should be entirely up to the quilter. It is their quilt and they are not making it JUST for a county fair. If the quilt is being made solely to be judged in a juried show and the rules (given plenty of time in advance) state that a label has to be affixed to a certain location, I can understand that. However, like a member previously stated... judges are not supposed to know who did the work because that might impact the scoring.
    MistyMarie

So now I'm curious, did they hang them right side up?

Ladies, that is a HOOT! LOL.

Jeanette Frantz

Blog Entries
    Once you have been behind the scenes at a local fair for quilting. You soon realize the ribbons impress non quilters very much. Quilters not so much. LOL
    Got fabric?

Too funny! Hard to believe something like that would throw her for a loop. I love your answers. Good for you!
    Can't stop now, I need to finish just one more quilt
    http://onemorequilt.net

I didn't know that there was a general preference for them being in any particular place... It does seem that if there is a strong preference - or rule - they should say that.

I'd have asked to see her entry so that you could see an example. Oh, what, no entry??? Well, maybe next year!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast