Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Machine died. Need a new one-$2,500 to $3,000

Blog Entries
    I need a new machine for sewing and quilting. Suggestions needed. Brother NX2000, Janome or what would your suggestions be. I would prefer lots of space to the right of the needle and lots of extras.

I love the bernina machines. We all have our favorite I'm sure, if you can, go to the shops and take them for a test drive to see how you like the makes and models, narrow it down by pros and cons then check reviews. Good luck decided.

Blog Entries
    If I had that kind of $$ to spend I'd get the Janome Horizon (11" of space) or I'd get the Janome 6600 (9" of space-this is the machine I have) and save the rest for fabric.

I totally agree!! The Janome Horizon is WONDERFUL!! :D

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    If I had that kind of $$ to spend I'd get the Janome Horizon (11" of space) or I'd get the Janome 6600 (9" of space-this is the machine I have) and save the rest for fabric.

:thumbup: Me too! Janome Horizon or Janome 6600P would be my choices.

I've got the Horizon as well...and love the space it has :)

I would get a Elna Quilter's Dream. You'll get all kinds of advice here, but what I would do is go to a dealer/s and test drive some machines, then make your decision.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I love Bernina but let us know what you end up choosing! :D

I have thought about this long and hard. I would choose a Bernina--an Aurora 430, which can be had for 1700-1800 on a good day, or a 300 series if you prefer a bit smaller. I would also get the new Juki 2010q, easy to find for $799 now. You'd have the very best of both worlds. If you want to spend that extra $500 to make it to $3000, you could buy the Bernina BSR, or a quilting frame, or a nice sturdy Sew Perfect quilting table, or even a lovely little featherweight for classes.

Disclaimer: I have the 430 and am going to add the Juki next (I think:)

Of course TEST DRIVE and buy the dealer, but my short list for you: Baby Lock Serenade (upgrade of the Quest Plus which I have and LOVE)-9" harp, built-in dual feed, auto cutter, 531stitches incl 3 alphabets with accented letters, low bobbin warning, Janome 7700 Horizon-11" harp, built-in dual feed and more, Bernina 440 with BSR-shorter harp, no dual feed, but what a machine! (I have a 440 also-LOVE).

Blog Entries
    How about a Husquvarna Viking, they make fabulous machines

Janome Horizon 7700...mine is great!!!

I tried the Elna Excellence in Cincinnati on Friday and I was very impressed with it. It is a sister machine to the Janome Horizon, but has some feature I like better. I will be buying one in the next few months. I was leaning toward the Janome but this one changed my mind. It also has the 11 inch harp space.

I have never regretted buying the Bernina 440, with the stitch regulator (BSR). However, there are lots of good machines out there. Be sure you buy from a dealer with a good reputation for service, because that is really important. Jot down the features that are most important to you and be sure the machine you get has them. I purchased a service maintenance agreement with my machine (3 years in additional to the 1 year provided by Bernina) and renewed it this year for another 3 years. I can take the machine in as often as I want for cleaning, check-up, repair, and updates.

Check out the Babylock Symphony. I recently used one of these machines in a class and was soooo impressed. Wide throat, beautiful embroidery, best needle threader ever, great lighting, tons of decorative stitches, best circular attachment I've ever seen...loved this machine♥

Quote Originally Posted by feffertim
    How about a Husquvarna Viking, they make fabulous machines
    This is what I own. It is from the Platinum Series, Quilters edition. I bought it off the floor as is, since it had been used at the Sisters Quilt show the year before. (Don't let the higher prices of attachments fool you though-I have found that all accessories for my Kenmore work wonderfully with it with the exception of the bobbins.)

Pfaff. I've had Kenmore and Janome.... and the Pfaff is by far my favorite of all. Perfect tension, stitches, etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginaky
    I tried the Elna Excellence in Cincinnati on Friday and I was very impressed with it. It is a sister machine to the Janome Horizon, but has some feature I like better. I will be buying one in the next few months. I was leaning toward the Janome but this one changed my mind. It also has the 11 inch harp space.
    I'm curious to know the price difference between the two machines. The Horizon sells here for about $2,400, but I have no idea how much the Elna sells for.

Check out the Bernina Dealer in your area. Sometimes they get the trade in machines and re sell them at good prices.

Blog Entries
    The Brother NX 2000 Laura Ashley is the top choice for now. Thanks for the advice.

Blog Entries
    Just watching as everyone tells their choices.

Blog Entries
    Congrats on your new machine! Funny though, how you picked one that no one suggested. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginaky
    If I remember correctly, I tried both at the Lancaster quilt show and I like the Elna better and it was less money, too. I also think they are both made by the same manufacturer.

That being said, I love my Bernina's. I currently have the 730 E and the 330 (travel Machine). However, if all goes well will have the 830 by Friday :D

You could pick up an nice gently loved Bernina 440QE or 640 in your price range. Most dealers also take trade ins of other models.

Blog Entries
    Congrats on your new machine! Funny though, how you picked one that no one suggested. LOL.
    I looked at Brother NX 2000, Janome 7700. Pfaff 4.0, and Husqvarna Viking. The Janome dealer also carried Elna(I wanted to Elnas because I already own 2 of the machines and they have worked well for over 25 years) but they had to be ordered, they did not stock them. I did not find a Bernina or babylock dealer anywhere close.

The Brother is a very sturdy, nice looking machine. It has the features I wanted and more for a reasonable price and it is on sale until the end of the month. Service is done in store and I have been dealing with this shop for over 15 years. The Janome was close but did not win. I am ordering my new machine tomorrow. Linda

I also tried the Elna at the Cincinnati quilt show. It had lots of great features, even feed and walking foot built in, plus the large 11" harp. I was drooling! But, I keep thinking I want to save my cash for a quilting machine (tin lizzie) as I have a Viking Designer I which I can piece with, just wish it had a bigger opening. Good Luck in your decision. My sister in law bought the Pfaff 4.0 quilt expression with a great deal at show. Large harp opening too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast