Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine embroidery workshop ? Reviews >

Machine embroidery workshop ? Reviews

Machine embroidery workshop ? Reviews

Old 02-22-2014, 05:56 AM

Default Machine embroidery workshop ? Reviews

A local sewing shop is holding a John Deer 2 day workshop in a couple of months. The cost is relatively inexpensive for $99: however, not much description on the content except one will learn tips and tricks of machine embroidery using the new Janome Horizon 15000. I have no interest in the machine as I recently purchased the Horizon 12000 only 7 months ago. I do not have a digitalizer application....saving pennies....so I am not sure if this workshop will be for me. I have had no real issues with downloading designs and stitching them out. And have only used the horizonlink software that comes with the machine for minor and I mean minor editing.
i have read several conflicting reviews of his workshop on line so will this workshop be of value or is it mostly an event to sell machines?
Thanks
Old 02-22-2014, 06:55 AM

I incorporate embroidery designs in several of my quilt blocks as well as using redwork designs as quilting designs.
Does the workshop include techniques and tips of using embroidery in quilts?
Old 02-22-2014, 08:38 AM

Usually in these types of workshops you work on projects in a group, but they also sell their products at a huge discount. I went to stitching sisters even and a lot of their stuff was half off which was nice for their magnahoops to be more affordable, and the dealer will discount the event machines. You are not obligated to buy any of the products, but at the event I had a lot of fun. I am going to a floriani one in april, can't wait
Old 02-22-2014, 08:53 AM

We had one of those workshops in our area recently. I opted not to go as I didn't want to buy anything else, several people would be using the same machine and I looked at the website and didn't care for the designs that were carried. But, that's just me. If you want to go, go and have lots of fun.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:04 AM

I attended a John Deer event last year and enjoyed it very much. We did quite a few projects, I think seven in all. His events are non-machine specific, so what brands the dealers sell is what you would use. Ours happened to be a Baby Lock, Janome and one other I can not recall. We did learn quite a few different techniques. Learning about stabilizers and uses, thread type and hooping was very informative. There were huge discounts on embroidery designs, not only his, but 3 or 4 companies he distributes. He also uses and sells his own brand of software. I signed up for his digitizing workshop (also not brand specific) and this was not not cheap, but I think will be well worth it. But what I did get from the class was meeting other embroidery fans and sharing ideas. Sometimes we see one thing and others may see it different. And sharing techniques, maybe someone has a better-easier-economical way of doing something. I have done 2 Floriani eventsand one Anita Goodesigns event. I have another Anita Goodesigns scheduled next month. I find I learn something at every event.