Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine quilting time >

machine quilting time

machine quilting time

Old 08-22-2010, 12:57 PM
cyd

I appreciate all the help. This is the first time to take tops to a pro and w/o your input it may have been the last. Since she doesn't 'do' voicemail it is very difficult to catch her. Of course, didn't know all this when I started with her. Now I have been reassured there are good quilters I can depend on. Thanks for all the reassurances.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
I agree, it's not fun to have a pile of customer quilts backed up. If she hads so many she can't deliver, she ought to turn away quilts for a while til she catches up.

Get your quilt top back if she cannot give you satisfaction pretty quick.
I sew for people all the time. I always ask them if they have a time frame. If I can't meet that I tell them before I ever accept the job. I don't know anything about sending out quilts, but the lady should know how long it takes to do a quilt and how many she can handle. Sounds a little ridiculous to me....get it back and find someone else.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
A friend of mine is a LA'r and she says she never has more than 5 in her home at a time due to insurance regs. She one has 14 piled up and a wee little mouse got in and nibbled a hole threw a clients quilt and the insurance had to cover it. She said never again.Now she hangs them on quilted hangers from the ceiling. I didn't know the was Quilters Insurance. New to me.
I would guess her home owners insurance covered her quilting business. I know my home owners insurance had an amendment for my day care business.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Justquilting
This happened to me. It took 6 months to get it back.
By all means ask how much longer & if you don't want to wait...I'll call around.
She should have told you how long she was backed up when you dropped it off.
My SIL had a similar experience. She dropped off her quilt top last December and it was not ready until this June. She called the quilter a couple of times during those 6 months and suggested to the quilter that she would pick up the top and take it elsewhere. Each time, the quilter apologized and said she would get to it soon. My SIL had no idea it would take that long. In the end, the quilting was really quite beautiful, and the price was reasonable (not cheap, not too pricey).
I have had good luck with LA I use around here. She always lets me know when the quilt will be finished and does not disappoint.
I think keeping a quilt 3 to 6 months is unreasonable.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:52 AM

I sent 2 quilts on April 28th to a person who advertised on this forum who lives in another state. I have yet to see my quilts - one excuse after another. She never told me she had a "wait list" - and I paid up front (stupid me). Last I heard from her she said she'd quilt the 2nd one last Monday - here it is a week later and no word from her. She said she'd give me a discount on my next order - I don't think she'll be getting my business again. Also, found a local quilter and she had 2 quilts back to me in 2 1/2 weeks and they look beautiful.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by cyd
In May I took 2 tops to an established machine quilter. These have not even been started. Is there a 'usual' amount of time to expect these to be done? Would it be wrong of me to get them back so I can find a new quilter?
No, it would not be wrong. You are the "boss" - she's working for you, and if you decide differently, get them back.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:49 AM

Have you followed up with the quilter? If not, please do so - it should help.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:01 AM

i have worked with many long arm quilters and many have you sign a contract and if not you are at least quoted a price and a turnaround time...i woud get them back and find someone else
Old 08-23-2010, 07:36 AM

One of the quilt shops I have used here plainly states that they have a 2 month turnaround for long arm quilting. What I got though was well worth the wait. They now have another machine so turnaround is quicker.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:37 AM

That's not right. Have you contacted her? I took a top into my machine quilter on 8/19, explained to here I needed it back no later than the 28th since I was not able to quilt it like I wanted and had torn it out several times and she told me she would put me in front of the rest and called me on Saturday the 21st and I picked it up. She was backed up for 3 months, but in a special "emergency" she worked very well. I gave here another top and asked if I could have it by 12/1/10. I would contact her and ask if there is a problem. :thumbdown: