Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Magazine trend towards busy fabric combinations >

Magazine trend towards busy fabric combinations

Magazine trend towards busy fabric combinations

Old 09-04-2010, 01:37 PM
RST

The blended colors and patterns of the modern style are very forgiving for beginning quilters -- poorly matched seams and wonky quilting just kind of disappear. The emphasis is then on color and fabric -- which is sometimes fine.

I'm glad to see the influx of new quilters -- that ensures that we all have access to a dynamic and healthy fabric and quilt-stuff market.

But as far as magazines go -- I wonder how so many of them still stay in business. With as many quilt blogs and websites as there are, which are free, surely the demand for magazines is significantly down? I don't know, as I only read quilting mags if I can find them in the library (again for free).
RST
Old 09-04-2010, 01:42 PM

I used to get at least 3 different ones each month and then borrow more from my mom, but they all have the same types of things, same patterns, same shows, nothing really new or unusual, whatever one magazine does, they all do....no more subscriptions here!
Old 09-04-2010, 05:19 PM

I'd probably never make one but I admire all of them. It's nice that there's something for everyone, both new and old quilters.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

Rose Marie, I used to subscribe to at least 3-4 mags a year. Then decided it was just too much and I wasn't enjoying them.
I now don't have any. With the internet I just don't feel the need to spend money on stuff that just started piling up on me!
But in my early quilting days they were a lot of fun :)
Old 09-04-2010, 07:56 PM

I treasure the older quilt magazines, but am beginning to realize that nowadays each issue is mainly promoting the business of quilting, ie: selling us more fabric (they know we have enough stash to last a lifetime!), and "gotta have" items that make quilting fast, etc. But yes, I see that the next generation of quilters wants this because they are so busy.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon321
I also do not like the "modern" prints like Kaffe Fassett or Amy Butler. They remind me of "Tent Dress" we wore in the 60's.
I had to laugh! You are sooo right!
Old 09-06-2010, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I don't like the ones without contrast! If I don't have enough contrast to see the pattern, I would prefer to just make a whole cloth to show off the fabric that I love. Just me!
in the new F&P there is a quilt called "tipsy" and if the material was better you could see the pattern so much better. Really have to look to see anything emerging...I liked it and may do one in 3 coordinating fabrics
Old 09-06-2010, 06:29 AM

I agree. I want the pattern to be the point of the quilt, not the fabric. I also have not renewed any of my mag subscriptions
because most of the "patterns" are really promoting a fabric
line. I use the net or back to my books of just blocks that I have
probably had for 30 - 40 years. Another pet peeve is patterns
that have been around for ever and now someone publishes it
and says it is copyrighted. The other day I saw the bug jar
pattern on the net and it was for sale and copyrighted. How long
has that pattern been around? Does that mean we can't make
the bug jars anymore without buying their pattern? Ain't gonna
happen!
Old 09-06-2010, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ladybugnana
Originally Posted by Rose Marie
I do not like the newest trend of using a bunch of busy fabrics to the point of not even seeing the design.
All the magazines are doing this and it sure makes for ugly quilts.
I like to see the design in the pattern not a jumble of fabrics thrown togather.
Whats with all these huge prints also? I cant figure out how to use them. Very bright colors and large prints are not my style.
I have been canceling my mags as they become due as there is nothing in them that I like.
Its getting hard to find smaller prints in nice colors so when I do find one I grab it up. I could not find any Christmas fabrics this year at all, they were all large prints or odd colors.
I live in Phoenix with lots of quilt shops to choose from but find very little to buy.
Any one else feel this way or am I just behind the times and stuck in my ways?
Try 35th Ave Sew and Vac. They have a wonderful Fabric Collection and a great mix of small and large prints. I have also looked around Phoenix (I live on the Glendale/Phoenix border) and so far this is the only one that I have been able to find what I want, when I want it. Good Luck. They are on the web and the link is:
[url] http://www.35thavesewandvac.com/
I also live in Phoenix and was puzzled by the reference to "a lot" of quilting shops. I know of 4: 35th Ave as mentioned above; Quiltz-which is gorgeous and also has a huge selection of top quality fabrics; The Quilted Apple-- which is very small, and one in Awatukee which I have yet to see. So, 2 shops that I know of with many different styles and large selection of fabric.

I also buy on-line; I do not use quilt magazines for inspiration. As for busy quilt projects, I like Kaffe Fassett's designs but mostly use traditional prints and not too many busy, large scale prints.

Please tell me where the other stores are here. I do not count Joanne's as a "quilt shop".
Old 09-06-2010, 07:14 AM

I fell in love with the Kaffe Fassett line and bought a lot of it on ebay. Then I didn't quite know what to do with it. I bought some of his quilting books and his combos make sense and are beautiful. Can't wait to try one. Without his books I'd never have had the nerve to use the fabrics.