Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Make me like Batik....

Blog Entries
    I use batiks in applique quilts, gives shading & blending for florals,, the stiffnes does help with fraying, & I agree, they are harder to needle, I change needles more often when working with them.

I think it's like everything else, the quality of the fabric is important. The better companies do sell nice fabric, while discount shops often sell the lower quality.

Blog Entries
    I love them for applique, they don't ravel and there is no right or wrong side. Some think they are too dense to hand quilt but I found using a quality needle they applique like butter and hold a sharp crease line. I test all the dark colors ones for bleeding but so far haven't had a problem.

I love batiks! Their bright colors brighten up many of my quilts! I usually hand dye a lot of my fabric, though, so I can control the quality of the fabric. I agree that many of the batiks are thin, or stiff, or fade a lot. That is why/how I got into dyeing my own.

I don't use them alot, but I do like them...They ravel very little, you don't have to worry about a wrong or right side....As far as the stiffness, I like that, makes sewing the pieces together easier, at least I think it does....Batiks have many wonderful colors, I especially love the jewel tone Batiks....A friend of mine is in Bali, Indonesia on vacation and will be bringing me some back.....:)

San
    FL

The best advice I ever had was from a quilt teacher, Nancy Lee Chong. She said to wash three times the first with Cinthrapal(sp)then two more times and then press and use. The fabric has more threads per inch and has such brilliant colors.

I've been so drawn to these lately I just don't care for my traditional fabrics anymore. I have one more quilt to do for someone in regular fabric then I think I'm going to stay with batiks. I just started buying them up for a stash and I love them!! Can't wait to play with these! I'm selling off my stash in my Etsy shop so I can replace them all with batiks!

I love batiks...... BUT will never make another quilt with them..... For me they are hard to work with because the weave is so tight. Much rather work with regular cotton....

Banned
    if you don't like it then don't use it. there are plenty of other fabrics that work as well.

Why are they so great? COLOR!!!!!!
    If you like bright, beautiful, clear color, Batik is the way to go. If you like soft, subtle color they have those, too.
    It is all about color.

Blog Entries
    Is your Avatar not Batik?
    MK

I absolutely love batiks. Just like any other fabric, there are grades and qualities. I would say the very stiff ones are of a much lesser quality than the soft/drapey ones. I have used both but the stiffer to a lesser degree. They flow, they live, they delight my eye.

I guess I am just such a newbie that I love it all! I am definitely in the honeymoon stage of liking any and all fabric that I see.

I think Batiks are really striking and can create such a beautiful effect when used properly.

Blog Entries
    I love batiks and bright colors. I've never made a quilt entirely of batiks but maybe someday ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom
    I guess I am just such a newbie that I love it all! I am definitely in the honeymoon stage of liking any and all fabric that I see.

I think Batiks are really striking and can create such a beautiful effect when used properly.
    Please don't think of it as a 'stage.' The joy of working with all kinds of fabric can be a way of life. Sometimes we struggle with pieces that don't appeal, but the fun can be in the challenge. You are in a great position!

Batiks are my favorite. Most of my stash is batiks. I love the colors and patterns. And I especially love sewing with them. They don't ravel or stretch making them easier to cut and piece then regular quilt fabric.

I did not like batiks when they first became popular years ago. But now, that's the first place I head to at the quilt store. As said before, all batiks ARE NOT alike. There are 'imposters' out there! If you get a chance, sit down with a Hancock's of Paducah catalog and look at their fabulous collection of batiks...the colors are amazing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropical
    I have loved batiks from the moment I first saw them. Now granted all batiks are not pretty. I like the way the colors and patterns change as you look at different sections of the same fabric. I really like the ones that seem to shimmer. They look tropical to me and I am a big fan of almost anything tropical. I'm not a fan of traditional or country looking fabrics. I guess they make so many types of fabrics because there are so many different people wanting them. :)
    Whew! Someone that feels like me! I was reading thru this thread, starting to think I was the oddball here. I love batiks and I think Tropical nailed the reason. They just make me think of the beach and palm trees and warmth .... sigh ....

Quote Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt
    I don't care for batik fabrics either.
    Ditto

My Daughter In Law bought some batiks several years ago and asked me to make her a quilt with them. At the time I did not know what batiks were, but being the good MIL I agreed. I did not like anything about them, mostly because I hand pieced and hand quilted the project. Now, I love them. The colors are beautiful, that is what draws me to them. I actually made her another quilt for Christmas this last year but that one was done on the sewing machine. It turned out beautiful. I chose a pattern with large pieces to show off the colors and it also went together pretty fast. When your gift list includes several quilts, you have to chose patterns that go together quick. So, I guess I'm a convert.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I don't like it either. Feels slippery and like poly to me...

Blog Entries
    They are not for me either. I love to see everyone else's quilts on here but it is not something I want to work with. I see many others that agree so we are not alone.

Zoe
    I love batiks--the bold colors, the endless variety, but what I like most is that they blend so well or conversely contrast in the patterns I use. I also like that for most batiks there does not seem to be a "wrong" side. If I am using an intricate pattern, with many pieces and I inadvertently reverse one of the pieces, you cannot tell. Each to her/his own. :-D

Could someone post a few pics? I'm not even sure I know what fabric that is.

Blog Entries
    I LOVE batiks! I would guesstimate over half of my stash is batiks. I'm going to post my first batik quilt. I feel batiks can give a lot of movement and depth to a quilt. But batiks just like any other fabric can be poor quality; using a trusted manufacture is well worth the extra dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabaddict
    I am not fond of batiks either. they are hard to machine quilt on for one thing, they are stiffer than most other fabric and just don't feel "cushy"
    They are also hard to hand quilt.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast