Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making blocks with gathered/ruched pieces. >

Making blocks with gathered/ruched pieces.

Making blocks with gathered/ruched pieces.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:29 AM

I did this on a satin christening quilt. I did rouching strips as part of the border. simply gathered along each side of a strip and sewed with 1/2 " seams. I really liked the look. I have been meaning to try it with cotton, but so far have not made a quilt that would be right for.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
No, I'm not really referring to a biscuit quilt...they're just a little puffy. I'm thinking more of ruched pieces. I'd like to gather them up until they actually have folds in them.

~ Cindy
I made a queen sized quilt for my mother that started with a center medallion made from the "Chantilly" pattern. This 38 X 38"center had encore embroidery, pin tucks, and borders that were touched......Since I do not do wall hangings or table toppers, I just added multiple borders to get the right size.....It was really beautiful........you just have to plan this, and plan your batting, so you do not have to quilt inside the routing......I did a stitch in the ditch on each side of the border.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:28 AM

I'd like to make a quilt that has pieces that have been gathered, so that it has a pillowy effect. Has anyone else ever done this?

~ Cindy
Maybe you would like fabric origomi.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:23 AM

I saw one that had a ruched piece that ran the width of the quilt between the Main body of the quilt and a border. The piece was about 1 1/2 in width. It was an auction quilt made for the humane society, so it had cats and dogs on it. I'm sorry I don't know the name of the pattern.

Last edited by mike'sgirl; 04-28-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:32 AM

Cindy, that picture you showed from Pinterest is really cool! It looks a little like a biscuit quilt and also somehow reminds me of a cathedral windows quilt. Thanks for posting this!
Old 04-28-2014, 05:58 AM

You can do a lot of decorative effects with hand stitching to created the folds or ruffles. It's been several months but I was watching a sewing show on PBS where they showed some of the techniques. The lady doing the demo sewed about a 6x6 square with what looked like a basket weave pattern on the front.
It may have been "It's Sew Easy" that it was on.

I think you would want to make your pieces oversize, sew your other pieces around the piece, then trim the excess off. If you cut to size before sewing the ruffled piece on, the stitches holding the ruffles may come undone and you would lose the effect.

Sorry, I don't remember much beyond the fact that it can be done.

BuzzinBumble, great signature.
Rodney
Old 04-28-2014, 06:20 AM

It would be interesting to do a "sampler quilt" that had all kinds of different techniques of fabric folding, puffing, origami, yo-yos, etc. Ahhhh......My little wheels are turning!

I saw another technique where they sewed two strips of contrasting fabric together, cut them in block length strips and then inserted them into the block with the strip twist a half turn. (I'd better find a pic of that. It's hard to explain.) Anyway, they put a few twisted strips into one block and it made a cool visual, as well as textural, tactile effect.

~ Cindy
Old 04-28-2014, 06:31 AM

I, too, remember seeing a ruffled patch in a quilt just a few days ago, but can't remember where.
So I'll try to tell you what seemed to stick in my mind.

Make a 9-patch, but cut the center square an inch wider. (If you cut eight squares 4 X 4, cut the center square 4 X 5.) Ruffle the two longer sides of the rectangle and finish the 9-patch with the ruffled square in the center.

Hope you can make sense of this. I was quite fascinated by that, and hope you can figure it out.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:33 AM
Dix

I have seen somewhere that there were 2 borders on a baby quilt the first one was just barely gathered and then the second one was not. It gave it a bit of dimentional look. Want to try it some time!
Old 04-28-2014, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

That looks like an unstuffed biscuit quilt, with the fullness tacked in the center to look like flowers. You could follow a biscuit quilt pattern and not stuff the squares, but tack them in the center like this photograph.