Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Making potholders

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    Are you talking about the one that is made like the criss cross coasters? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipzCAflJQ8

I am thinking of trying those - but quilting them afterwards :)
    Me too. I am going to do fancy stitches to close up the opening. Won't need that extra layer of fabric that way either, or just use muslin there.

Blog Entries
    old towels, denim are excellent.in place of batting

Blog Entries
    anything to substitute insulbrite? gotta watch my pennies for awhile. I saw somewone mention heavy duty aluminum, I will try that... heavy duty, not the other kind. ok will try that

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    Are you talking about the one that is made like the criss cross coasters? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipzCAflJQ8

I am thinking of trying those - but quilting them afterwards :)
    I watched this tute and liked it, but I don't understand why she leaves two of the sections open, almost like pockets, when she finishes. Wouldn't you want to stitch them closed? Maybe with cross quilting or something? Or did I miss something?
    ;-)
    I think she is just trying to show you how you can make potholders fast. I too would stitch the opening closed. Too easy to get things hooked on the openings.

I don't use any of those heat resistent or reflective pieces. I use 2 layers of fleece or warm & natural. I make my potholders to be decorative and fun to use. I don't usually stand there holding a hot dish for very long, but if I think using one potholder won't be enough, I just use two.

So, do you have the web address for the potholder swap? Thanks!
    :mrgreen:

The directions say to put the shiny side toward the hot (or cold)object.

I have found that insulbrite is not enough, by itself, for potholders. You need that extra layer of cotton batting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveToQuilt

I have found that insulbrite is not enough, by itself, for potholders. You need that extra layer of cotton batting.
    I find that "shiny side toward the hot" direction rather silly. Once you have the pot holder made, how do you know which side to use? I use both sides of my pot holders. Who stands there and looks to see which side is up before they pick up a hot pot? Surely not me.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveToQuilt

I find that "shiny side toward the hot" direction rather silly. Once you have the pot holder made, how do you know which side to use? I use both sides of my pot holders. Who stands there and looks to see which side is up before they pick up a hot pot? Surely not me.
    Sometimes directions are a little too picky. This just doesn't make sense. Maybe she intends for us to make a secret mark on one side to indicate the shiny one. But knowing my mind, I'd forget whether the shiny side was the "hot" side or the "cold" side. Oh well ... deep sigh.

8-)

Quote Originally Posted by cizzors
    So is it shiny side up or down with the insulbrite. Also, batting on top or bottom?
    I hope you find an answer, I have wondered the same thing about the insulbrite.....which side up or down.

Usually, I grab my potholders with the 'top' side (which is usually the more decorative side) next to my hand. Could be I am a little OCD, but that is what I do.

I have just recently finished making casserole carriers for both my DD and DDIL for Christmas, and this bit of information was quite helpful as I sandwiched the fabrics.

I suppose this subject is pretty much like the Ann Landers agrument of which way to place your toilet paper -- rolling off the top or rolling from the back and under the roll.

I love the youtube link for the criss cross potholders. Thanks.
    Serita

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkie
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie
    hi dotty, i just made a bunch using 1 layer of otton and one layer of insulabrite
    I use 2 layers of cotton batting and 1 layer of insulbrite (I get mine through Connecting Threads) in my pot holders and my ironing boards.
    Same here. I put the Insulbrite between the cotton. I quilt a yard of fabric at the same time, then cut out the sizes I want-- usually 9" squares, (or shapes - sometimes it's a heart) and add a binding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Love your hearts :!: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Have you all seen the potholder swap? Now I'm hooked!
    where do ypou see this swap? I might be interested

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pstoner
    Quote Originally Posted by retired2pa
    I use Insulbrite from Joann's. It's very cheap and also a layer of cotton batting.
    So my question is...do I need special batting? I was wanting to make some with my scraps, but was unsure if they required something special in them (non burning).
    No you don't need special batting. I use one layer of InsulBrite and two layers of Warm N Natural batting. There are instructions on the InsulBrite wrapping.

Here is the link to the Swap section. You'll see the thread for the pot holder swap in there. http://www.quiltingboard.com/s-11-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by doowopddbop
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkie
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie
    hi dotty, i just made a bunch using 1 layer of otton and one layer of insulabrite
    I use 2 layers of cotton batting and 1 layer of insulbrite (I get mine through Connecting Threads) in my pot holders and my ironing boards.
    Same here. I put the Insulbrite between the cotton. I quilt a yard of fabric at the same time, then cut out the sizes I want-- usually 9" squares, (or shapes - sometimes it's a heart) and add a binding.
    Those are really cute!!!

look on the swaps thing
    not due for a while

Blog Entries
    I've made a ton of these. I think I used 8' squares and folded my four squares in triangles instead of rectangles. I did not quilt them.

On some I did stitch all the way around the finished potholder, about 1/2" from the edge, but that is not necessary. They make great gifts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallyjane
    I've made a ton of these. I think I used 8' squares and folded my four squares in triangles instead of rectangles. I did not quilt them.

On some I did stitch all the way around the finished potholder, about 1/2" from the edge, but that is not necessary. They make great gifts.
    Oops...I was referring to the criss cross coastershttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipzCAflJQ8

Quote Originally Posted by mosaicthinking
    I use woollen blanket offcuts from a local factory outlet. Works well I'm lucky in that I live in a country with lots of sheep :-)
    hmm, I have some felted wool fabric leftover from another project - that might work nicely too.

I just made your cute potholder...Very good instructions with easy to follow pictures. I will definitely make more of these!

I wentto joann's they had some regular batting for potholders. I ask if it had to be doubled, and they said no. I have tried it and it really works.

Blog Entries
    Was it specific for potholders? What is the name of it, sounds interesting!

That lady at TJ Maxx, inspecting the potholder display, the fabric,the design, the construction... that was me! The Halloween kitchen towels were calling to me, but I managed to get out w grocery funds intact! I do hope my next Secret Pal really likes cute things...! TGIF to all

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast