Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making Your Own Ironing Board--Did you use canvas or silver ironing fabric? >

Making Your Own Ironing Board--Did you use canvas or silver ironing fabric?

Making Your Own Ironing Board--Did you use canvas or silver ironing fabric?

Old 07-15-2013, 12:08 PM

I used the silver stuff -it's on an ironing pad that I use on my cutting table so it's washable. No problems so far.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

My old experience wants a hard surface to press on. If the padding is too soft or has some give and cushion, it is to soft. Being soft will distort fabrics when pressing them.

My Ironing station is 5/8" thick plywood w/ holes drilled in it for steam to escape and covered w/ one layer of warm & natural batting and a cover of a heavy cotton muslin. It works great for me.
peace

EDIT: If I am using starch I will lay another piece of muslin over the board in the area where I am using starch. This absorbs the extra starch and I can just throw it in the wash and re use it with out having to change the whole cover.

My ironing station is big. About 3'w x 4.5'l. I love it. Great for ironing yardage.

Last edited by ube quilting; 07-15-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:04 PM

What do you use if you have an ironing board that pulls the steam through? I have a Pfaff board. The board came with a foam pad, but the top was more of an open weave, not tight like canvas. The board is a real odd size.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

I use a Steady Betty when pressing quilt blocks and pieces. For yardage I have plain cotton fabric on a big board. I have used duck canvas and I like it. Put the cover on wet and let it dry and it will be tight on the board.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Z

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I use a Steady Betty when pressing quilt blocks and pieces. For yardage I have plain cotton fabric on a big board. I have used duck canvas and I like it. Put the cover on wet and let it dry and it will be tight on the board.

What is a Steady Betty?
Old 07-16-2013, 04:29 PM

I purchased pillow ticking at Joann's. I liked it better than the canvas or the duck cloth. I do prefer a thicker pad than is mentioned here -- but that's me. I bought this one from Joann's with a coupon and am very happy with it.
http://www.joann.com/heavy-duty-ultr...prd_10687572a/
Old 07-16-2013, 05:11 PM

Plywood, cotton batting, pre washed flannel. Done!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:34 PM

I bought some of that silver stuff and it stuck to my iron on the highest settings. I've never had a commercially made ironing board cover of that fabric to stick like that. I am glad I tried it out before I stapled it down. My board now consists of 1" thick plywood, a layer of heavy duty foil, two layers Warm & Natural, topped of with some blah old cotton twill the color of dirty dishwater. (I think it is supposed to be blue?) I didn't have any other use for it but it made a perfect cover for the board. When it gets dirty, I will make a new cover with elastic to pop over that one.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:27 PM

My mom had a layer of cotton batting covered with heavy canvas then over that she put a couple layers made of sections of old sheets that were traded out periodically.

This was for one of those nifty old ironing boards that folded up into a cabinet recessed in the wall of the kitchen.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:05 PM

I used a Terry cloth towel for my covering... as nothing slides off , it holds blocks in place when pressing( so no stretching) and I take it off and wash it frequently. Its amazing how fast an ironing board cover can get dirty. When I first put it back on after a wash I just run the iron over it once , and its smooth but enough friction to hold things in place.