Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking Patterns on Quilts >

Marking Patterns on Quilts

Marking Patterns on Quilts

Old 03-01-2021, 07:33 PM
  #31  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Virginia
Posts: 99
Default

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I use the blue water eraseable pens and they always work great however don't try to use them after the quilt is sandwiched with the batting/backing. They will sometimes bleed through and not want to go away. But, if you mark your top ahead of time, they are great. Just spritz with water and they are gone.

As to washing...others have given good advice. I will say that if you don't like the "crinkle" look then lay the quilt flat to dry, don't put it in the dryer. I've had good success with this. Also, pre-wash and machine dry your fabrics.

Colour catchers catch any dye that comes from the quilt in the wash into the water and then it doesn't settle back on your quilt. It isn't to stop a quilt from bleeding, just to catch loose dye in the water. They are available at most big box and grocery stores.

Watson
This raises a question in my mind: If I'm using the Crayola washable markers, should I mark the quilt top before layering, rather than waiting til it's layered with batting and backing? I'm wondering if they, like the blue erasable pens, would soak through to the batting?
Synnove is offline  
Old 03-06-2021, 10:18 AM
  #32  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 114
Default

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I use white chalk to mark on medium to dark fabrics. Coloured chalks can be difficult to remove. There are many different methods for marking a quilt pattern.
1. Put a fabric on the back with a nice design and quilt from the back following the fabric design.
2.Golden Thread paper is meant to be stitched through and removed after quilting.
3.Quilt an all over design that doesn’t need to be marked.
4. Use ruler foot and rulers to do designs.
5. Some QB members like Crayola washable markers.
6.An old method was to use white soap slivers to mark a top etc....
I didn't know this about Golden Thread paper! I have a roll, traced my design, then needle punched it and used pounce, trying very hard to see the freaking design. For the other two squares, I'm going to use the stitch through paper method! I know for heirloom sewing, freezer paper is used to stitch the smocked neckline into place, and also used for smocked inserts.
lindawmn is offline  
Old 03-06-2021, 10:32 AM
  #33  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 259
Default

I use Crayola Ultra-Clean Washable Fine Line Markers every time I mark on my quilts and every color has always washed out for me. I mark after basting and have never had a problem. We also use these on my kids' white shirts every year for making 100 Days of School shirts and every color has washed out of their white shirts. I always machine wash my quilts first on warm/hot with detergent (All Free and Clear) and they always wash out and never return, so mark with abandon!

I use Aurifil 50wt cotton for piecing but I'm not diehard this is the only thread I use. I pretty much use anything because my machine is happy with any thread - even serger thread (like the $1 cones) which I know some say never to use. I've never had a problem with it and I can't even break it when I try to snap it with my hands so I've never had a problem with it snapping after quilting, shredding fabric, cutting fabric, or anything. I'm a vote for use what you have and use what you want It's your quilt!

If I'm marking on dark fabric, a soap sliver has worked well for me and has always washed out without issue. I have a Pounce but I don't love it as it's messy but I also have stencils that require a Pounce so there's that. Love the Crayola markers.

Link so you know which ones that you can get at any big box store that sells crayons or markers: Crayola Ultra Clean Markers
Sephie is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 03:06 AM
  #34  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,299
Default Will marks come out if marking designs on Starched fabric?

Originally Posted by Sephie View Post
I use Crayola Ultra-Clean Washable Fine Line Markers every time I mark on my quilts and every color has always washed out for me. I mark after basting and have never had a problem. We also use these on my kids' white shirts every year for making 100 Days of School shirts and every color has washed out of their white shirts. I always machine wash my quilts first on warm/hot with detergent (All Free and Clear) and they always wash out and never return, so mark with abandon!

I use Aurifil 50wt cotton for piecing but I'm not diehard this is the only thread I use. I pretty much use anything because my machine is happy with any thread - even serger thread (like the $1 cones) which I know some say never to use. I've never had a problem with it and I can't even break it when I try to snap it with my hands so I've never had a problem with it snapping after quilting, shredding fabric, cutting fabric, or anything. I'm a vote for use what you have and use what you want It's your quilt!

If I'm marking on dark fabric, a soap sliver has worked well for me and has always washed out without issue. I have a Pounce but I don't love it as it's messy but I also have stencils that require a Pounce so there's that. Love the Crayola markers.

Link so you know which ones that you can get at any big box store that sells crayons or markers: Crayola Ultra Clean Markers
.
Will the Crayola Ultra Clean Markers come out as well if used to mark quilting designs on starched fabric?
copycat is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 03:12 AM
  #35  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 2,930
Default

I've always put a minimum amount of detergent in the washing machine, a color catcher or two and fabric softener when washing my Crayola marked quilts.
lindaschipper is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 03:56 AM
  #36  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 160
Default

Heat erasable pens were designed to disappear on paper. Our guild did an experiment and found the lines can come back when the quilt gets cold. I use air erasable pens and work fast.
eastslopequilter is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 04:22 AM
  #37  
Junior Member
 
DebLuvsQuiltng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 214
Default

[QUOTE=illinois;8463730]I've tried a number of methods of marking and the one I like the very best is the Crayola ultrathin washable markers.

Me too! Recently discovered these.. . used on last three quilts. All colors washed out beautifully and completely.
DebLuvsQuiltng is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 12:20 PM
  #38  
Member
 
itsabreeze2me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 15
Default

I always put my fabric on gentle cycle, warm water, then in dryer till just damp, then iron carefully, before I use it in quilting or any sewing project. I wash with just a drop of laundry soap after the quilt is finished and toss in dryer, because, I like the crinkled look of it and just get it clean before gifting, as most quilts I make are gifts. Knock on wood...I've never had any issues.
itsabreeze2me is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 09:54 PM
  #39  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 8,226
Default

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
.
Will the Crayola Ultra Clean Markers come out as well if used to mark quilting designs on starched fabric?
The safest way to find out is to do a test on scrap fabric.
Peckish is offline  
Old 06-14-2021, 08:35 AM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
Railroadersbrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Gainesville, Missouri
Posts: 403
Default

Originally Posted by eastslopequilter View Post
Heat erasable pens were designed to disappear on paper. Our guild did an experiment and found the lines can come back when the quilt gets cold. I use air erasable pens and work fast.
It's interesting you say that, I use the heat erasables all the time and I've never had the lines come back, I even did my own experiment and tossed a piece of fabric I had marked up then ironed into the freezer, waited an hour and went back and the lines never reappeared.

I wonder if that's a brand thing, then, maybe?
Railroadersbrat is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.