Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking System to Award Ribbons? >

Marking System to Award Ribbons?

Marking System to Award Ribbons?

Old 09-14-2016, 09:35 AM

Default Marking System to Award Ribbons?

I'm just wondering about how quilt shows are marked/placed.

I entered a show and received a Third, which I was really happy with, but when I looked at the other quilts in my section, there was no First or Second place ribbons awarded. I looked at other sections and saw the same thing happening...sometimes there would be no First, but there would be a Second and Third, sometimes a First, but no Second or Third, etc.

How does this work? Is there a marking system with a minimum mark for each ribbon? I know when I show my horse, you have to attain a minimum 60% to get a Championship ribbon, even if you come in first. Is it the same in quilt shows?

Just wondering, because it will give me an idea of what percentage my quilt got.

Watson
Old 09-14-2016, 10:08 AM

I am by far no expert on this. But, at the shows I have been to they move some of the first place quilts to a more prominent spot to highlight them
Old 09-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

Each quilt she has it's own criteria for judging. You can ( generally) receive a copy of the judging criteria for the show you are entering. Judges often have a form they check off/ make notes on for each quilt which contains the elements they check/ judge. Often first place quilts are placed in particular areas for everyone to see. Also judges choice and viewers choice quilts are placed in promenent areas
Old 09-14-2016, 10:14 AM

It depends on the show. Some shows have a point system, and you are awarded a ribbon according to how many points your quilt earns. Vermont Quilt Festival works this way. There may be more than one first, second and third place ribbon winners, and there may be no first or second place winners within a category.

The advantage is that you can see where you received the most points and the places where you can improve.

Janet
Old 09-14-2016, 10:35 AM

https://www.google.ca/search?q=judgi...quilts&ie=&oe=

Google brought up this
My only experience with Judging is that to be FIRST it must be worthy of first. So sometimes there is no First placing
Old 09-14-2016, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

My cousin has won a few awards for her quilts. When she works on a quilt for competition she's very meticulous and goes over them with a fine toothed comb. She had a couple threads sticking out from a binding that she missed. It cost her a first place ribbon. After they gave her 3rd she was getting her photo taken and her friend's little girl walked up and plucked the thread. It wasn't even connected. Stray threads had laid right next to the binding at an angle from a corner. The judges had already placed the ribbons/awards. She now always keeps a lint brush in her purse.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

Was it in a show of a fair? Some shows do not have qualified judges. In fairs there are general guidelines and the judges should be chosen from a list that are qualified. With that being said, some judges are just super picky and mark very hard. If they figure it isn't good enough for a first or second they will not award them. Some judges have personal biases against colours or patterns and will down grade them. That is not supposed to happen but it does.
My advice is, enter again in a different venue with a different judge.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

I was a judge's helper several years at the local fair. The judge was not certified, there wasn't any point system, and the rules were very informal. However it was true that the judge didn't have to award a first place in a category if none of the entries were worthy. There were a few times when not many quilts were in a category, and the best one had problems, so it got a second or third place ribbon at best. The reasoning was that a first place should meet a certain standard. Being in a category with few entries shouldn't guaranty a win.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:44 PM

My experience matches dunster's. Our fair rules state the policy she mentions.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:33 AM

So... What qualifies you to be a "qualified judge" ?