Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Materials used in a quilt?

Question Materials used in a quilt?

Another post got me thinking on this; would you be (or feel) offended if someone asked you what materials you use in making your quilts?

One of the batting posts, everyone was praising the use of wool batting. Myself, I'm very allergic to wool. I can't even walk through the sheep barn at the state fair w/o breaking out in hives. Most lotions and soaps out there have lanolin (the oils from wool/sheep) and I can't even use those. There are products, like Best Press, that I would love to try, but if I can't see the ingredients, I would rather not take a chance.

This is one of the reasons I got into quilting. Would love to have the warmth, but if one of you stopped me on the street to give a quilt, I would feel bad having to either turn you down, or accept it and then have to pass it on to someone else. Is this a question that anyone has faced?

I wouldn't have a problem with being asked. I have allergies and have to be careful to avoid the problems.

Blog Entries
    I would not have a problem being asked.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure why anyone would be offended by such a question. But sadly, there are those who are easily offended, I guess.

I would not be offended if someone asked me. Nor would it offend me if they knew I was going to make them a quilt & wanted to know ahead of time so they could let me know of any specifics needed in case of allergies, etc.

I think some would be offended if you ask like you are a quilt snob and in a superior tone. But to say, you have allergies with wool and just need to be sure there isn't any in the quilt.

It would not offended me for someone to ask any type of question about one of my quilts.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

The only way to see the ingredients is to obtain a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) aka SDS (Safety Data Sheet) for the product. You can find sites on googe (they are probably not free). Many products do not have one yet, as it is a time consuming process. Over 2000 new chemicals are produced each year, and many more products form them.

Blog Entries
    I label all of my quilts and include fiber content and care instructions so anyone receiving the quilt knows exactly what they are getting.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    I label all of my quilts and include fiber content and care instructions so anyone receiving the quilt knows exactly what they are getting.
    i never really gave it a thought, but this is probably a good idea.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I also wouldn't be offended if asked. I've never used wool so you could accept any and all of my quilts!

Blog Entries
    I have multiple allergies and know exactly what you are saying. Anyone who has ever suffered from severe allergies knows exactly what you are saying and those who haven't are so fortunate. That being said, it should not offend anyone when asked if it is stated that you have allergies up front. However, we humans are a fickle bunch and won't know for sure if you offended until you ask.
    In my dream world, fabric is free and sewing makes you thin.

Sharon

I would think it was nice that someone was taking an interest in what I made.

I think the one exception is what quiltingcandy referred to, if the person were asking so that they can look down on my answer ("Polyester? I would never use that.") But that's clearly not the case here. I always start out assuming the person has good intentions, and most people do, so I wouldn't be offended unless it was clear that the person was just trying to be mean.

I feel if someone needs to know, I will definitely tell them. Everything I use is cotton.

I too am allergic to wool. My sister does not allow her cats in the sewing room, just in case.
    Last edited by Boston1954; 04-14-2017 at 06:27 AM.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I would not be offended at all. When I gift a quilt, I always include a note telling the person how to wash the quilt and that it has been treated to prevent color runs.
    Sue

Power Poster
    I would just ask "does this contain wool? I am allergic to it."

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    When I started putting quilts together, the few that I did, I asked if anyone was allergic to anything. Turns out my son's girlfriend is allergic to wool and lanolin also. That answers that question. If anyone is offended, i'm sure there are many other things that offend them.

It is a pretty expensive batting. I've used it once in what I call heirloom quilts, wasn't impressed.
    so it wouldn't be likely I'd put it in a gift quilt.

I think the best way to approach this is to announce your allergy first ("I'm terribly allergic to lanolin"), followed by your question ("so I'm afraid I have to ask if any wool was used in making this quilt").

I think if you make yourself vulnerable first, people are less likely to be offended than if you if you ask what the quilt is made of and then reject it because of your allergy.
    As much as I hate it, my seam ripper is my best friend.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVFD215 View Post
    The only way to see the ingredients is to obtain a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) aka SDS (Safety Data Sheet) for the product. You can find sites on googe (they are probably not free).
    Actually, every MSDS I've ever searched for I have found easily online and for free. Elmer's Glue and Best Press are the most recent. (Contrary to popular opinion, rumor, and misinformation, Elmer's glue is NOT starch, and Best Press IS starch. )

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post
    I think the best way to approach this is to announce your allergy first ("I'm terribly allergic to lanolin"), followed by your question ("so I'm afraid I have to ask if any wool was used in making this quilt").

I think if you make yourself vulnerable first, people are less likely to be offended than if you if you ask what the quilt is made of and then reject it because of your allergy.
    totally agree

Blog Entries
    You poor dear! I am also allergic to sheep, but it is the animal dander, I think. I can use some lanolin things, but a just born lamb, no no no. Keep it away from me.

I didn't used to be allergic, but then one day I went to my neighbor who had sheep to help her. There was a ewe that had pushed herself into the heat lamp and caught her wool on fire. I put the fire out with my Dr. Pepper and smelled the burning wool. That set me up. The next time I went over there, I came down with mucosal reaction.

I can also get it in the gut, that's when I get head to toe hives. I ate some cake that had been in a room where they were carding wool. I went to the ER.

Blog Entries
    I have a new family member who is HIGHLY allergic to a bunch of things. We have learned to never risk it. If we can't read a label and we are interested in getting the product, we check their website or email them. With your wool allergy, I might even be a bit worried about the warm and natural cotton not knowing about the production process. Definitely email them about any use of lanolin/soaps in their production. I would probably stick with polyester battings. And they range from a very high loft (which can be a challenge to home quilt) to a very thin loft.

It would not be a problem at all to state what something is made from. There are all sorts of allergies these days.

Blog Entries
    Not a problem at all, IMHO. We ask about allergies all the time in the swaps.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast