Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: McCall's Wedding Ring Quilt --Gorgeous!

Have you seen the latest McCall's Quilting magazine? There is a gorgeous version of Wedding Ring blocks in a quilt called "To Have and To Hold." I have made about five quilts, but never made a quilt with curves. Info says it's an advanced level quilt. Tell me the truth girls, how hard would this be to make?
    Picture at http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal...ve_and_to_Hold

Blog Entries
    Don't let the word curve throw you off :wink: They are not that hard to do, and these are nice wide curves, not little tiny ones :D:D:D

Thanks Amma. I've heard Wedding Ring quilts are quite a challenge, but beautiful. Have you made one?

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Don't let the word curve throw you off :wink: They are not that hard to do, and these are nice wide curves, not little tiny ones :D:D:D

I agree with Amma. The curve in this quilt is wide, so with patience, you should be able to do. Its not like the smaller curve in a Drunkard's Path, which is a little more challenging to do.

Blog Entries
    I made the traditional one years ago, and although the curves force you to slow down and take your time, they aren't really "that hard". It is just more time consuming.

How pretty! I have a Double wedding ring paritally cut, trying to get up the courage to sew now, lol!

Yes, I picked up that mag the other day and you are right.... so pretty!

I have just taken the first of three classes for the Double Wedding Ring quilt. I am amazed at how easy it is. You have to sew a bit slower but it's not difficult at all. A set of templates is helpful also.

That is beautiful. I would love to make it too.

If you don't want to cut and piece curves, Southwind Designs has a pattern based on the double wedding ring that does not require piecing curves. Here is the link:

http://southwindquilts.com/?page_id=...1&product_id=4

It may be worth looking at. Good luck. Iris :-)

p.s. I have bought and made some of their designs and found them to be easy although I have not tried this particular one.

This one is from the book "Peeled back patchwork--curves without piecing".
    Name:  Attachment-181479.jpe
Views: 392
Size:  168.7 KB

Ooooh, thanks. That does look like an interesting alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris P.
    If you don't want to cut and piece curves, Southwind Designs has a pattern based on the double wedding ring that does not require piecing curves. Here is the link:

http://southwindquilts.com/?page_id=...1&product_id=4

It may be worth looking at. Good luck. Iris :-)

p.s. I have bought and made some of their designs and found them to be easy although I have not tried this particular one.

I wouldn't suggest a Wedding Ring quilt for a first quilt, but they really aren't that hard...especially using quilt templates. The first one I made was Mary Ellen Hopkin's method...and you ended up with a quilt full of holes...the cornerstones...it worked adding the squares, but it was not fun doing it....would not recommend that method.

Like Amma said .... DWR is quite easy when you do it the Eleanor Burns way. Then it is more like applique.
    I have one block to go .... then I can sew them all together.

That's an awesome pattern.

I've always wanted to do a double wedding ring, one of my favorite quilts.

My MIL made us one when we were married and we have worn it out. I wanted to put it up, but MIL wouldn't hear of it. So, it became everyone's favorite quilt in the family. My favorite quilt of all time, actually.

I will do one someday, and this one may be it. Its like a mondernized version, don't you think?

Blog Entries
    I made one 50 years ago when I was first learning to quilt. The only pattern I had was cut out of a brown paper bag that an old lady cut for me. I didn't know squat about putting a top together but I did it and it looked pretty darn good. I even put it in an old homemade quilting frame and quilted every stitch by hand bt myself. I even did the scalloped binding. I still have it, though a little worn, and really proud of it since every stitch is mine.

sassy granny

Blog Entries
    I haven't done a double wedding ring yet, but I did a Drunkard's Path, which also has curved seaming, and didn't have any trouble at all. In fact, all the seams came out nearly perfectly matching, and I had never sewn curved pieces before. Since you have made a few quilts already, you should be ok with it. The only difficulty I see is that quilt is really big-so it will be a bit awkward to handle as it grows! I would give it a go, especially if the curved piecing is your only reservation!!

I made one a few years ago, it took a while but wasn't all that difficult to piece. When I did it as a mini, I used the Eleanor Burns method instead which was really simple!

I saw that too and thought I might be able to finish a hybrid wedding ring quilt like that. I don't think my attention span is long enough to do an entire bed quilt in all wedding ring, but as a center medallion, I might just be able to swing it.

Beautiful quilt....and no I haven't tried one yet either. The curves scare me to death.

I love this pattern. I hope I can make it someday. Let us know if you decide to make it. It really is a beautiful quilt.

Several years ago John Flynn came out with the templates to make a DWR quilt. We did a class in our shop (now closed and retired) and had about 10 girls do it.It is time consuming but doable

Well the wedding ring part is smaller than the traditional wedding ring quilt. The pinwheels are very easy. But the wedding ring has many, many tiny little pieces that require PERFECT cutting and piecing. If you think you can do that than have at it and good luck! Of course, we will want to see pictures as you go. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sassy granny
    I made one 50 years ago when I was first learning to quilt. The only pattern I had was cut out of a brown paper bag that an old lady cut for me. I didn't know squat about putting a top together but I did it and it looked pretty darn good. I even put it in an old homemade quilting frame and quilted every stitch by hand bt myself. I even did the scalloped binding. I still have it, though a little worn, and really proud of it since every stitch is mine.

sassy granny
    Granny, I'm sure we would all love to see a picture of that quilt. If you've been making quilts for 50 years, how many do you think you've made?

very pretty quilts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast