Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Measure Your Order? >

Measure Your Order?

Measure Your Order?

Old 08-04-2010, 07:16 AM

I ordered 10 different fabric cuts of Benartex's Mayfair line from fabric.com. When it arrived, I checked to see that all the cuts were there, then threw them into the washing machine.

As I started cutting the pieces for the quilt, I found they had shorted me 1 yard on one fabric :thumbdown: I NEVER thought to measure the fabric when I got it. Do you?

Now fabric.com is out of the one I need :cry: They did, however, refund the total for that cut - so I got one yard free, but now have to go searching for another yard.

Lesson learned.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:18 AM

Oh no! I'm so sorry that happened to you! I haven't ordered online yet, but now I know to check carefully when I get it!
I do watch when I have fabric being cut at Jo-Ann's or my LQS though.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 AM

I ALWAYS check to see if I get the correct amount I ordered after an experience similar to yours! I guess we have to learn the hard way!! At least I was lucky enough to get the missing yardage. I hope you can find yours also. Maybe we can find it for you if you give us the name.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I ALWAYS remeasure.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:35 AM

I ALWAYS check my fabric orders when I get them, and I keep an eye out when I get fabric cut in a store. It doesn't hurt to make sure you are getting what you paid for!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:46 AM

I received 11 cuts of fabric from fabric.com yesterday. They sent the wrong fabric on one cut. I called them and they said keep the fabric and they will send me the correct fabric. I thought that was very fair. I'm so sorry that they don't have your fabric. And thanks for the heads up...I will measure from now on!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:51 AM

I wasn't happy with my last (only) order from Fabric.com. I ordered a green floral and they sent me a flat solid yellow. The tag on the fabric even said large green floral. Don't you think that would have been the first clue that they had the wrong fabric?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:51 AM

I always measure mine...One very popular retailer just shorted me last week. They mailed me 45" wide when I had ordered and paid for 108" wide marbled fabric. (Really, I didn't have to "measure" that one...it was obvious.) I made 3 calls to them over 5 days and kept getting the excuse that the man I had to talk to was "out of town", or at lunch. Finally got to talk to that man yesterday, and I hope they make good on their promise to fix the error, because I am really waiting for this fabric.

On the other hand, I have ordered from Joanns a couple of times over the summer, and both times they have ended up sending me at least 8 - 10 inches more than I ordered on a couple of pieces of yardage. I guess they just got tired of measuring and cut it where they felt like it. :O)
Old 08-04-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by The Quilt Gypsy
I received 11 cuts of fabric from fabric.com yesterday. They sent the wrong fabric on one cut. I called them and they said keep the fabric and they will send me the correct fabric. I thought that was very fair. I'm so sorry that they don't have your fabric. And thanks for the heads up...I will measure from now on!
I got my order yesterday too. I also had one cut of fabric that was wrong. I guess I should call them. I did not measure, maybe I should do that too. I did refold everything and it looked right as far as eyeballing it.
Overall I was happy, I got 20 yards of fabric for $56 came to about $2.80 a yard including tax.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
I ordered 10 different fabric cuts of Benartex's Mayfair line from fabric.com. When it arrived, I checked to see that all the cuts were there, then threw them into the washing machine.

As I started cutting the pieces for the quilt, I found they had shorted me 1 yard on one fabric :thumbdown: I NEVER thought to measure the fabric when I got it. Do you?

Now fabric.com is out of the one I need :cry: They did, however, refund the total for that cut - so I got one yard free, but now have to go searching for another yard.

Lesson learned.
I just got an order from them today, and for the first time ever in using fabric.com for close to 10 years, they sent me one wrong fabric. I ordered dish towel fabric and got the right length in a quilting fabric that is no where near dish towel fabric. I figure it is vacation time and their help is somewhat lacking. I am not going to return it, though. If they are short on a piece they usually e-mail me asking if they should send what they have. I have never had a problem before. They claim to have a 37" yard; have measured some but not all.