Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Memory gift suggestions >

Memory gift suggestions

Memory gift suggestions

Old 11-20-2019, 01:22 PM

I think one of the best things you can do for someone who has lost a loved one is to recount your favorite memories and stories of that loved one. Even if you spent hardly any time with him, maybe talk about some of the things she's told you in the past? Get a card with a yellow rose on the front and write the stories down. Or, even better, if you have time, buy a blank notebook with a yellow rose on the front, and have as many people as you can write down all their memories of her husband. Holy cow, I would love it if someone did that for me if I lost my husband!!
Old 11-20-2019, 07:36 PM

You can make a card for her using one yellow rose. You use clear contac paper and use a blank card and envelope. You could write a poem inside the card about your friendship. I made some of these with dried wild flowers I put the flowers in pages of a phone book for a few weeks. You could also do a journal with the dried rose with contac paper on the cover and a note inside about your friendship.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by bneuen View Post
Love this group because of the creativity that’s here. Thought I would pick your brains and see if I could get some help.

A longtime friend of mine lost her husband not quite a year ago but on the anniversary of his death, she and I will be traveling overseas. I would like to have something to give to her that has a yellow rose theme. Obviously there isn’t a lot of packing room in a suitcase so it needs to be something small. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thx. Happy quilting.
A rose pincushion with yellow flower head pins? Maybe. So many ideas!
Old 11-21-2019, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I've been wanting to make lingerie bags for my girls but so far no luck finding a pattern online.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:43 AM

How about making a little travel bag for her cosmetics or souvenirs with a yellow rose applique or fabric for it?
Old 11-21-2019, 06:45 AM

I lost my husband last spring and picking up on a suggestion someone offered I purchased a memory jar. Family members and friends are adding memories of him. I hope it is full some day. Perhaps we'll read them all together at a family gathering in the future.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by bneuen View Post
Love this group because of the creativity that’s here. Thought I would pick your brains and see if I could get some help.

A longtime friend of mine lost her husband not quite a year ago but on the anniversary of his death, she and I will be traveling overseas. I would like to have something to give to her that has a yellow rose theme. Obviously there isn’t a lot of packing room in a suitcase so it needs to be something small. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thx. Happy quilting.
Since you would be traveling, what about some zipper bags in a few sizes. These could be used in her both her suitcase, a carry on or in her purse. My favorite to make and are easy are the in-the-hoop bags. You could use yellow rose material or embroider a yellow rose on each bag.

Last edited by Little Lulu; 11-21-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Left something out
Old 11-21-2019, 08:20 AM

I have made a small quilt using a light bat and the top made out of vintage handkerchiefs. Something like this is lightweight and can be small lap size.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:42 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas. I guess I need to get busy. I decided there are so many great ideas I hope to plan several gifts to give over our 10 day trip. Hopefully it will help her on the first year anniversary of his unexpected passing. Was in their wedding and a college classmate. Many, many years of good memories.

Thx again to all of you!!
Old 11-22-2019, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I think one of the best things you can do for someone who has lost a loved one is to recount your favorite memories and stories of that loved one. Even if you spent hardly any time with him, maybe talk about some of the things she's told you in the past? Get a card with a yellow rose on the front and write the stories down. Or, even better, if you have time, buy a blank notebook with a yellow rose on the front, and have as many people as you can write down all their memories of her husband. Holy cow, I would love it if someone did that for me if I lost my husband!!
I agree ....when I meet customers who share their “loss” , I always listen to their grief etc then I ask them to share a fav memory or what it is that they will always remember about their loved one. Their faces light up and they share the qualities and memories.