Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mid-Size Pieces of Fabric...Organizing >

Mid-Size Pieces of Fabric...Organizing

Mid-Size Pieces of Fabric...Organizing

Old 12-28-2021, 03:49 PM

Default Mid-Size Pieces of Fabric...Organizing

I cut down all my scraps that were less than a fat quarter into 2 1/2" squares.
Anything that was fat quarter up to about 2 yards, I folded. Anything over 2 yards, I'll keep separate again in my closet organizers.
My question is: How do I keep those fat quarter - 2 yards pieces organized? The larger ones don't really fit in the plastic boxes I have that fit on my shelves. I can't organize them by colour, because I don't have enough space to do that on my shelves. Do I just fold and stack up by colour? Or keep together by size of piece? I really like the look of the plastic boxes with lids, but they aren't going to work for these pieces.
Watson
Old 12-29-2021, 03:35 AM

Way to go with more organizing!

For fabric size pieces that may be a FQ or 1/2 yard, I ruler fold using a 5 inch ruler. Then fold up again so they make 5 inch bundles. These pieces are stored in a plastic refrigerator bin approx 6 inches wide x 16 inches deep. I stand them upright so it's easy to see the color and sort. These bins also hold all of my charm packs and keep them organized. The bins fits into a drawer unit for storage. The fabric pieces would also fit into one of the double scrapbook bins.

Yardage above that size are ruler folder with a 6 1/2 inch ruler and stored with like colors or patterns.
Old 12-29-2021, 03:53 AM

What a wonderful way to start the new year Watson. I am about to begin my January (NYD) organizing attempt as well.

I store my FQs together by color…I have a cute cubby from my old retail store that is perfect for storage. Anything 1/2 to 1 yard gets folded with a ruler like Rhonda and again, stored by color. I hope you find something that works for you…
Old 12-29-2021, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

My fat quarters have their own drawer where they are stacked standing up so I can see the edges of them all. 2 m. and larger are on boards (in colour groups) inside my fabric cupboard on the shelf.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:19 AM

I use comic book boards to wrap the smaller pieces that are 1/2 -1/4 yard and put them on a shelf.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I have a book shelf from when the local library was remodeled and they sold all their shelving. I use mine for my FQ's. I like to be able to see them and that way works for me. I tend to use FQ's more than anything these days.

I've been cutting odd sized fabrics into 5 inch squares. Last New Year I completely cleaned out my sewing room and it was such a great experience that I'm doing it again in a few days. I don't like looking at fabric I know I'll never use. Off to a charity it goes. Win win.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:47 PM

I have been able to keep my fabric great since last yr I did a complete overhaul. Used comic boards and also put a label on each with how much on each board.
Old 12-30-2021, 03:03 AM

Similar to RhodaK, but I wrap around thin cardboard 5" that I cut from cereal boxes. I have an under bed box that I store in the guest bedroom. All stored upright so I can see the edges.
Old 12-30-2021, 04:08 AM

I organize all sizes of fabric by color. That is the how my mind thinks not by size. That said, I love my 2.5s and use them a lot. I store all of my little squares in 13X9 boxes that I found at the Dollar Store. Eight boxes with a strip of painter's tape as a label indicating the color in the box. They stack easily and after a year, I still like this organization.

My other fabric, fat quarter and larger are folded and put in mid-sized bins that I stand on their end minus minus their lids so I can see the individual pieces. Again, after a year it is still working for me. I have an additional bin for 2.5 strips all mixed up and totally unorganized but in one bin with lid and second bin holding bias scraps.

Lastly, I have two of large totes of all sizes of white/cream and another of pinks. This year may be the year of pink. I want to reduce that large tote to a mid-sized on bin on end.

Old 12-30-2021, 05:39 AM

Fat quarters, left folded as they came from the shop or folded that way by me, then stacked on edge in a drawer so I can easily see the colors.

half yard cuts to less than a yard --left folded selvage to selvage, then wrapped around a six inch ruler and then folded in half twice and stacked on edge in a drawer (will be a bit wider than the fat quarters so I can tell the size by looking)

1-less than 2 yard cuts -- left folded selvage to selvage, then wrapped around a six inch ruler, folded in half once, then stacked flat on each other in my large bookcase, they just fit so I can pull down the glass covers.

2-4 yards cuts -- left folded selvage to selvage, then wrapped around a 8.5 inch ruler, folded in half once, then stacked flat in piles and placed in my large bookcase, easy because of the width to tell these from the one plus cuts.

Anything bigger than 4 yards just gets folded and placed on the bottom shelf and is a potential backing fabric unless I want to use it for the top.

I keep thinking I will pull everything out and arrange by colors, but I haven't done that yet.
Currently, smaller sizes not a fat quarter or a strange shape, get tossed into a box by color. If I do cut shapes like 5 inch squares, they go into a shoe box for that shape

Last edited by sewingpup; 12-30-2021 at 05:42 AM.