Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it??? >

Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it???

Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it???

Old 01-04-2012, 12:34 PM

Question Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it???

Assuming you are not in a business, so you are not selling your work, how carefully do you account for your quilting costs?

I am now about one delightful but expensive year into this addiction, and I have carefully saved every receipt in a little spot in the second drawer down at my sewing desk. Sometime this week I will be reviewing every one of those receipts: the fabric and thread, the tools and notions, the books, the patterns, and classes. I will not cost in the stuff I borrowed from my office - from binders and binder-clips to the extra 60" table I use for ironing, but the rest is all 'on the books'.

I truly dread this.

I know my costs are way over my other hobby, veggie gardening, where I've got about $150 in fertilizers, mulches, lime etc, $100 in seeds and plants, an occasional hoe or rake, a new set of wood boards for the raised beds every 3-4 years, way less water than my neighbors spend on their grass, and I get a 25x50 space packed with a year's worth of fresh and frozen delights. By contrast, I've gifted five baby quilts, one bed quilt, two lap quilts, made myself 4 placemats and have one UFO and some leftover fabric. I know that now I have the rulers and books and all that, it will be a less expensive hobby...but still...

Do any of you have annual budgets for fabric, thread, tools/notions, books, patterns? Or do you just cap the total at so much a year?

I am not asking for personal financial data, just an approach to controlling cost!

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:38 PM

I give myself an allowance , every month ... If there is leftover unspent .. it carries over to the next month. This is especially important when I go to shows ..and its so tempting to just BUY.
I am gotten a pretty good handle on when the sales are , so I can guage accordingly.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:46 PM

I have my own money for hand quilting services I do so I don't really budget but I also don't over spend or buy something just because it's on sale . I get a lot of fabric from various sources for charity quilts and when I run out of that I use my own.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:46 PM

Well I have just really started so most of my money has gone to supplies, ie mats, rulers, cutters. I have only bought fabric for projects I have planned. Now once I get better at quilting and sewing other items, then we may have a problem. lol
Old 01-04-2012, 12:51 PM

I dont, this is something I enjoy so I don't put a $ amount on it. However, I don't go and spend hundreds of dollars every time I am at the LQS or JA. I buy what I need when I need it. The only other hobby I have is photography and I already have everything for that.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 PM

Oyyyyy!!!! I am a fabric addict!!! I have spent thousands on fabrics. I love fabric and color. When I am working, I don't worry about it, but I have been on a short leave of absence, so I am using the fabrics I have, rather than buy. I am on a budget now!!
nancy
Old 01-04-2012, 01:26 PM

I don't have a budget, I have a full time job and I buy what I want. Occasionally I feel a little guilty about my fabric stash, or my machines and tools but I have learned to live with the guilt (haha) and enjoy it. Life is so short and quilting makes me so happy and my husband appreciates beautiful quilts and good quality tools so he never says anything. He has always said that it is better to buy the best quality that you can afford so that is what I do. I do shop the sales for the better stuff and that always makes me feel good too. Sometimes I rationalize my purchases and say that I am buying for retirement because I won't have as much money then but I wonder if I am trying to fool myself - doesn't matter because I love everything about it. I could be spending $ on worse vises so I honestly don't feel that guilty. Quilts are beautiful and functional so I think it is all $ well spent regardless of how much.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:30 PM

I don't have a budget but I don't spend excessively - except for last weekend. I bought stash at full price, bu it was for light colored pieces of which I have none.

But we buy things on sale, buy day old breads, discounted meat and produce if still fresh, buy in bulk so save money in other ways. I seldom buy new clothing. So I have more money for my hobby.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:34 PM

I don't have a budget but I'm careful not to overdo.
I think if I were to look back at what I have spent, it would take the fun out of it.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:49 PM

What price do I put on my happiness?? I don't have shoe collections or designer clothes, or spend hundreds of dollars on makeup and beauty treatments, I only go to the hairdressers for special occassions. Quilting makes me happy!!!
I don't have much of a stash and am careful what I buy, but it's my sanity