Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
most favorite & least favorite about quilting >

most favorite & least favorite about quilting

most favorite & least favorite about quilting

Old 01-23-2011, 01:51 PM

Hi all,

Well, since I've been going back and forth between projects lately (again, does quilting give you OCD?), I was wondering myself what parts I like and what parts I procrastinate doing. I'm wondering other quilters thoughts on the subject.

Personally, I am happy piecing and seeing the pattern 'transform' before my eyes. I also thoroughly enjoy going through patterns to see what I'd like to make, and choosing the perfect quilt for a specific person. Oh, and I LOVE to give it away.

What I'm not crazy about is choosing colors (because I'm always freaked out worrying if it will look OK), basting and marking for the quilting, although I just finished marking a lap quilt to hand quilt and I do enjoy the planning process and then seeing what it looks like after I'm done.

Anyone else?

Trina
Old 01-23-2011, 01:55 PM

I love designing, coming up with which block patterns to put together, deciding what fabric goes where. And I also love quilting the finished top.

I seem to get stuck deciding on the type of borders and oh, I loathe doing the binding.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:01 PM

I love to pick out the fabrics, but hate deciding which pattern will go with my picks. I enjoy the piecing not so much the quilting, but I do enjoy the binding since I learned the ladder stitch on this board.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:05 PM

I just don't like sewing the rows together. Perhaps measuring and remeasuring for the borders. Love doing the blocks and Love the quilting and the binding.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:06 PM

My least favorite is assembling the quilt sandwich. I ost enjoy putting the tops together.
Diana
Old 01-23-2011, 02:13 PM

Crawling around on the floor to pin it together, only way I can keep the back from pleating whenI FMQ! Be careful ladies I messed up the old tailbone!
Old 01-23-2011, 02:32 PM

I love the piecing and binding, and I like the fact that I have a terrific LQS where I live. Things I don't like so much include matching seams in rows and not having enough money to buy every piece of fabric that I want.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:37 PM

I have to say sandwiching the quilt together and basting it is what idon't enjoy.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:44 PM

I find that I start to procrastinate about half way through each process. Once I get about half of my blocks pieced, I start to lose steam...I'll putter at it till they're done. Then half way through piecing my blocks together, I start to procrastinate again. I'll putter through those until they're done. Then I just don't even want to look at the borders...until I start getting them on and I'm anxious to see it finished. Then the first half of quilting it goes great, until I start to get bored. There is only one part of the quilt that I never procrastinate on doing - the binding! Because as soon as I'm done the binding, I can wash and dry and give it away so I can stop looking at it! HA!

BUT!!! I LOVE each part! I love piecing blocks and laying them out and seeing the pattern show through. I love getting the blocks together in the top, and seeing my "plan" come to life! And the borders just MAKE it, sometimes.

I love it all. I hate it all. When I'm getting close to the end, I find myself NEEDING to finish this *darn* quilt! But then when I give it away, I wish I would have kept it, just for a little while, to snuggle with some of my hard work. lol

I really do love quilting. I swear!

I'm not great at colours and values.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:47 PM

I hate all the washing, starching & ironing before I can even start on the dreaded cutting. I also hate piecing large backings so I usually cheat and buy extra wide or use a sheet but when I'm feeling thrifty or can't find a sheet--I'll still force myself to piece them. Flannel backings mostly.