Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mug Rug Questions >

Mug Rug Questions

Mug Rug Questions

Old 10-23-2011, 12:44 PM

I'm in the mood to make mug rugs. Never having seen one (except in your pictures) or made one, I have questions. What kind of batting is best? What size is recommended? Do you use full width quilt binding, or narrower? Would double fold bias tape work well? Does it matter how close it's quilted? I don't drink coffee but drink cold drinks from stemmed glasses. Thanks in advance for your help; I've learned so much on this quilt board.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:48 PM

I use batting scraps and make a small rectangle, usually 5x7 or so .... enough room for the mug and a spoon to sit next to it. There are no rules for these cute gifts .. so use your imagination.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Google Goddess

I have been saving links for mug rugs for free patterns, tutorials, pictures etc. and I will go and get the link and post it here for all of you.

I use warm and natural batting

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-162430-1.htm
Old 10-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

i use the same binding as i do for a quilt. but you can use the birthing method too, if you want. there are no real rules.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:41 PM

If giving as gifts to hot coffee drinkers, you could use insulbright also in center, for heat control, otherwise warm and natural is fine....when I make wineglass coasters I use rubber sheeting to really control the moisture....you know we used to call it piddle pads....it is a sheet of rubber (?) covered with flannel on both sides. Will absorb moisture and not leave a ring on your table.....
Old 10-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

use batting scraps- its a great way to put to use those scraps that you cut off from a finished quilt- the flatter the better- if you use a high loft batt- they are probably not a great choice for a mug-rug
i make mine out of felted wool- so no batting
quilt them as much or as little as you want- the size of coasters- or a little larger is good. some make them post card sized
they are a great way to practice quilting on small pieces- try new stitches and experiment.
as for binding- that again is a personal choice- personally on small items i like a narrower binding- instead of 2 1/2" strips i cut mine 2" (or even 1 3/4") but wider is fine too- could even be the place to try a facing instead of binding---opportunity to try new things- and make gifts at the same time. our guild made ones in the shape of oak and maple leaves a few years ago- they are wonderful!- used very thin batting- or just a layer of muslin or lightweight stablizer....for appliqued ones i would use batting though.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:20 PM

I make mine 10x7. Then there is enough room for a glass, mug, dessert plate or what ever.
LC
Old 10-23-2011, 03:21 PM

Rubber sheeting is a great idea, I even have some. I couldn't think of what a person could use that could be washed to keep the moisture from soaking through to the table top. Yippee, thank you Deborahlees
Old 10-23-2011, 03:24 PM

great ideas