Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My dear Bernina - INJURED!!

This weekend I went to my quilting ministry at my church. I use a carrying case for travel (TUTU - I think) and had gotten it out of my car. My sewing room is downstairs so I was putting off returning it there -VERY Heavy- During the day, my DH was helping me clean house and moved the carrier to the top of stairway. Well, it immediately fell down the stairs; hit a table (broke the legs) and finally landed! My artista looked ok upon picking it up - but damage was hidden. It would only sew two stiches, the threading bar - not working, the throat plate knocked off, well, you get the idea! I took her to the doctor yesterday (Atlanta Sewing Center) and found out that it was so damaged, as well as older, that it might be too costly to fixed, and might be used as parts to fix others. I get an estimate on Friday. Before this happened, I had already thought about getting a lighter weight machine for "stow and go" quilting classes, retreats, etc. The end result was that I purchased the new Series 3 (380) Bernina that was much lighter for carrying. All the employees at ASC were helping me determine which machine was lighter and had the same great operating system. If the artista is fixable at a reasonable price, I will keep that for my sewing room and use the new machine for travel. I have been a customer for over 20 years and have always gotten good prices and lots of good service - the same owners are there. So, just wanted to share my story. Has anyone else had any kind of accident with their sewing machine?

No - Thank Heavens!! Congrats on your new lighter weight machine and I hope your Artista is fixable.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    No but I don't take my Bernina with me. It's so darn heavy.
    Your poor girl!!
    I love Bernina machines and service. Hope you enjoy your new one!

Blog Entries
    Oh my, that sounds terrible. Your poor machine. I hope they can fix it without it costing two much. Having two Berninas would be great.

Blog Entries
    Years ago, I took my machine on an airplane trip down to florida. I didn't have a cover or hard shell case for it. I used pillow case to cover it up. BIG mistake. It did fit nicely under the seat in front of me, though. Anywho, getting it out after the flight, I broke off the thread spindle. Poor baby. Never been the same since. Tried super glue many times but no such luck with that. Now I just use a coffee mug for a thread stand.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Be sure to check with your insurance about the damage and replacement costs. Even with your deductible it may help. Sometimes we forget that things like this are often covered.

Jan in VA

Oh I'd be just sick if I dropped one of my machines. I hope your baby isn't too expensive to fix!

Oh I feel your pain...Can't imagine if I lost my Bernina 1090...I have been looking at Bernina's lighter weight machines as my old girl is as heavy as my truck.....:)

The poor thing! My Bernina is a great, heavy old thing, but I like the weight. The metal parts will last and last and she'll probably still be sewing long after I'm dead and buried. If I need a machine for travel, I think I'll just get a little Janome mini. Luckily, I haven't had to take her anywhere, though. I hope your Bernina can be fixed!

So sorry about your Artista. Hope she gets better soon. I have a Bernina 380 and love it.

Oh no! Never had one damages but did have my Janome stolen. Our machines are such a part of us. Sorry this happened to you.

Blog Entries
    As Sandra-P said... our machines ARE a part of us!! so sorry this happened... hope it can be fixed... the thought of TWO Berninas is just dreamy! I still have my original 830 Record... college grad gift from parents and love it... despite the weight...

Would love to have a light-weight machine for on-the-go...

Thank you for your sympathy! I just had to tell this story! I also left my foot 37 I use for 1/4 inch seams,so I GOTTA have that. I hope to hear from them soon!!!!

I am glad to hear that someone else has a Bernina 380. I am planning on trying it out today!

I added the larger foot pedal that will raise the needle when you tap on the back of it. It works great on my 380 but was pricey as anything with Bernina on it is. I understand wanting your 1/4 inch foot. I got mine last year and don't know how I ever stitched without it.

I love my little Bernina. I hope you enjoy your new machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Collins
    Thank you for your sympathy! I just had to tell this story! I also left my foot 37 I use for 1/4 inch seams,so I GOTTA have that. I hope to hear from them soon!!!!

I am glad to hear that someone else has a Bernina 380. I am planning on trying it out today!

Hi Karen, First, my sister, Iris, lives in Dublin, (GA for those who don't know) say hello for me. (Everyone in Georgia, knows everyone)

OH my, chills ran up my spine as I read your story.

Sending prayers, she will be fixed, but if not she will be in Berninia Heaven helping others.

I have a new baby...a 440 with embroidery...oh what a girl. Just thinking of your girl, I ran to my studio and gave my baby hugs! :thumbup: :thumbup: :wink: :wink:

Bummer about your machine!!!!!

I have a 630 and it is getting too heavy for me to carry and lift onto a table. I'm thinking that I will have to sometime get a smaller lighter machine to take to classes and such.

Blog Entries
    :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I took me yeas to save up for an Bernina and if something like that happen I would :cry:
    ))))Hugs(((( hope she will be ok very soon.

Thank you all so much! I DO have the larger foot petal that I left with my machine and I WANT it back if my machine is too sick to fix. Also, since my sewing room is downstairs, I really wish I could move it on the main level. I have a "living room" on one side of the foyer and a dining room on the opposite side. I want so much to move my sewing room up here, but my living room (must be for show - the living room has never been used. We have a keeping room and that is where we hang out. We also have an office on the main floor that would work out better because it has beautiful built in shelving and possibly more space. (I will have to measure both). Right now I have a hodge podge of items in my sewing room, so I would need to kinda spruce it up - like I use two tables with bed risers to work with quilting. Have any of you found cutting tables and furniture that cost a fortune? Can't hurt to ask, can it!

Kola (sic) The very best I have ever seen. Truly Dreamland. Happy Hunting

Oops, just a note....my studio is downstairs, and I use a rolling case to deal with the up and downs.

Also, someone from my dealer always carries and lifts my machine for me for class.

Just ask.

Oh, heartbreak! Nice that you can get a new one, but still, that hurts.

Blog Entries
    I have 2 Berninas and love both of them! I have that big 830 and my repair guy tells me all the time how to transport it. I do have a tutu bag too. I have read on a few message boards that I need to get some padding for it so don't mess up the screen and nobs. I have not only take in the car only for service and some learner classes I will take my 200E for classes! I think Berninas are heavy too!

Sounds to me like a 2 edge sword. Congrats are in order of course, but I can not imagine loosing my Bernina I love so much!

I have an old Bernina which I am devoted to, and its set into a cupboard if you know what I mean. Although I can just lift it out I don't take it to classes or anywhere else because of the weight. So I have a small Janome that I can fit into my 'box on wheels' bought at Hampton Court Flower Show (UK). This will also accommodate my bag with material/thread/etc. It works for me!

Poor baby. I feel your pain.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast