Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My eyes were bigger than my quilting skills

I'm not exactly sure which pattern this is, I think I do, but I'm not telling my husband about it, he'd want it. So no one tell him....

my avatar is appliqued. When I order the pattern online, I had no idea that it was appliqued. I thought it was pieced and when it arrived I was so mad that I put it in a drawer for a couple years. Finally I decided that I would attempt it. A friend in our quilt guild offered to help me and that is all it took. I really like applique. was just afraid of it. Not any More!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I so envy ppl with the talent & nerve! to do applique. Love the look, but my fingers are soooo unhappy with needle work.Good for you...will be watching to see pics.Sorry I can't be any help.

I too have a project like this. I recently ordered a pattern called Earth Wind and Fire from the Bigfork Bay Cotton Company. It is a horse applique and I want to make it for may daughter. It looks way more complicated than anything I have ever done before but more than anything I want to make it for my daughter for Christmas as she was really there for me during a recent hospitalization and through my recuperation which all in all took 3 months. She loves horses and I want to show her how much I appreciated everything she did for me. I tried applique for the first time on a baby quilt (which is in with the rest of my UFO`s right now but I am hoping that by taking this one step at a time, I will be able to accomplish this pattern and I am sure that you will too. The one thing I know about applique is that patience is a virtue as eventually you will get the piece in the right spot. Good luck to you.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You can do it. Just do a little at a time. God bless.

Go for it lilpooh. You can do it. I did, and if I can applique, anybody can. You will enjoy it, and be so proud of yourself

I have the "Spring Storm" pattern from that company and am collecting fabrics to get started on it! It will be a challenge! I am going to use Heat N Bond Lite for my fusible

You are not alone in eyes bigger than skills disease. I think we all have to admit that at one time or another. But, we never grow in ability if we don't stretch to the limits. you had good advice about doing a simple applique or 2. That will give you confidence. Then just dig in. Hit a problem? That's what we're here for. Get tired or frustrated? Put it away for a day and do something else. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

I agree with granniebj - just work on the quilt. That's how I've learned most of my quilting skills - redo; rip out; redo. Words to live by! Good Luck and above all else ENJOY!

Well lady's I too am doing one of these, it is TONI WHITNEY ELUSIVE DEER/ELK PATTERN. Wish me luck as well, thank you!

You can do it. You may want to find a small project that uses the same applique technique for practice first. Maybe a wall hanging or a table runner. It is not all that bad especially if the pattern has good instructions.

I felt the same way about the Carpenters Square but after "thinking" about it for a few months I said "I can and will do this" So I started cutting my beautiful fabric and making the pretty little blocks and WOW! There it is on my design wall! I put it up last night. My very own Carpenter's wheel! I had the same feelings you did. You can do this!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm late in answering your thread, but thought I'd give my two cents anyway! So many quilters are scared of applique. It takes a little patience, but it really isn't difficult. You mentioned using fusibles. Have you ever done that? Have you tried machine applique? I've found doing hand applique with fusible web is very difficult. The edges are very hard to get a needle through and you have to use some kind of stitch to hold the applique edges down. And I've had trouble with fusible webbing fraying. I agree you should try some easy hand applique projects. One good thing to work on is a heart because it has both inside and outside curves. I can recommend an excellent book. Gives many different applique methods with good illustrations. And it is softback so not too expensive. It's THE EASY ART OF APPLIQUE by Mimi Dietrich and Roxi Eppler and published by That Patchwork Place publishers. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2