Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My eyes were bigger than my quilting skills

Banned
    I saw a quilt with the pattern Spirit by Toni whitney created by another member here. It was a beautiful eagle on a patriotic background. I saw this and just knew I could do this also.. So I ordered the pattern, not the kit just the pattern knowing full well that with all of my stash I must have enough fabric! Then I recevied the kit. OMG I have really bitten off more than I can sew. I have never made an applique pattern before. But I have to do this I must do this. I must pay someone to make this for me so I can pass it off as my own... LOL. I will take a leap of faith this week and well buy the fusible stuff and then put it aside for a few weeks then pull it out again and think what was I thinking then put it away until my husband ask about it then just then will I make it!! Happy Quilting!!!

Blog Entries
    You're funny! Take small easy steps, you can do it!

Put it aside and come back to it once you've got a little more "hands on" with some other projects. I'm always starting something, putting it aside and going back to it. If I was 5 I'm be diagnose with ADHD, as it is, I'm just fickle :) :).
    You can do this!!!

If it is something that you MUST do, then you will do it. Take it slow, rework parts if you must, but keep at it until it's just the way you envision it.

And then post pictures so we can all see!

Take a deep breath, and then take it one small step at a time. You'll do fine.

Blog Entries
    :lol: You are very funny!

You will do it when you are ready to. Since it's applique, you can probably do a little of it at a time and before you know it, you'll have the whole thing done.

OK, the pressure is on, we want to see your first step! :lol:

Good luck - just go slow and you will succeed.

I am actually working on this pattern at the moment. The one wing has 49 pieces (feathers). It is a very well written pattern and everything is step by step. When she says trace the broken lines and not the inside solid ones, that's exactly what it means. (I couldn't stop myself from tracing them, and they're not used at all) I stressed about it too, I did buy some brown batiks but used other fabrics from my stash. I don't have quite the contrast in my colours as the pattern picture, but I'm pleased with it. I've only stitched a small amount on it, but will post a picture when it's finally finished.

Don't let applique scare ya! I didn't think I could do it, but now I'm hooked. Just take your time. After all isn't that how most of us learn? Just jump in with both feet and stay determined!

I agree....baby steps, one at a time. Read your instructions very thoroughly sev. times. Then gather your supplies. When you are bored, get it out and start. Baby steps. You CAN do this. You can. We all learn by doing something for the first time. I have faith in you.

You can do it!! :)

Blog Entries
    First, take a deep breath & read & re-read the instructions!! :D When you have it down pat, in your mind, then start with small steps. I just know you can do it!! Do keep us posted!!
    :D :D :D :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    I am actually working on this pattern at the moment. The one wing has 49 pieces (feathers). It is a very well written pattern and everything is step by step. When she says trace the broken lines and not the inside solid ones, that's exactly what it means. (I couldn't stop myself from tracing them, and they're not used at all) I stressed about it too, I did buy some brown batiks but used other fabrics from my stash. I don't have quite the contrast in my colours as the pattern picture, but I'm pleased with it. I've only stitched a small amount on it, but will post a picture when it's finally finished.
    Nikki, how fortunate for you that you have a mentor! Sometimes, it is the little things that matter the most. Those tips and tricks are a treasure!
    Baby steps. Savor the moment.
    Wishing you good luck and the best results possible.
    Maybe even a little fun along the way. :P

thimblebug-
    Are you fusing the pieces? Nikki, so glad you started this post. I have her moose pattern/kit and when it came I took a quick look and put it right in a drawer. I need some courage too!
    lots2do

I would put it asside until you have complete a couple small applique projects. You don't want to make learning curve errors on your kit. I have had Piece O'Cake's "A Walk in the Mountains" kit which I inherited from my sister in 2001 just waiting for me to make the committment to start & complete the project. I have done a number a applique quilts using Steam n' Seam, but this quilt just has so many tiny pieces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can do it!!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    You're so funny!! But I have the same problem haha :D

I have faith in you. Just take it one step at a time and you will do fine.

Banned
    Ok ladies let's get out those projects that we have put away and work on them together!!!! You have made me a believer that I can do this and now that I have the time (my sugery was rescheduled) I am going to take the first step and trace all my pieces. I now know I can do this and if I can bug you through PM's well guess what I will :) I will keep posting my baby steps are you with me????!!!!!

Great plan.... I used heat'n bond lite as my fusible but I know alot of people prefer other brands. The only pieces I actually trimmed the fusible out of the center on were the sky pieces, but you could trim on others if you wanted as well.
    Speaking of having the time....my DH has been away the last couple weeks so it's been my saving grace having something to focus on while he's away.

fun good luck

Quote Originally Posted by SharonC
    Put it aside and come back to it once you've got a little more "hands on" with some other projects. I'm always starting something, putting it aside and going back to it. If I was 5 I'm be diagnose with ADHD, as it is, I'm just fickle :) :).
    You can do this!!!
    love your answer, made me smile!

Once you have the fusing medium you'll see that applique is easier than you think. I've never done needle-turn applique. I usually do raw edge or blanket stitch. I'm guessing your eagle will be needle-turn. I try to avoid hand sewing as much as possible because my hands can't take it.

You can do this. Just take it one small step at a time. Just follow the directions one step at a time. You will do fine. AND please share a picture when you get it done.

Remember the old saying that you can do anythintg that you set your mind to? You have the kit and instructions, take it one step at a time and if you run into problems you can ask anyone here for help or read your quilting books for information. I know you can do it, take your time and have fun with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast