Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first BQ2 quilt ... how to quilt >

My first BQ2 quilt ... how to quilt

My first BQ2 quilt ... how to quilt

Old 08-29-2014, 03:37 PM

Default My first BQ2 quilt ... how to quilt

Hi guys.... I am making a quilt to donate to my church's harvest dinner to be sold or put on silent auction whatever they want to do with it. I found some really cute "churchy" fabric... the little kid print is so cute and it has prayers on it. Thanks to Barbara Wade for the B2 pattern.

Now I am wondering how to quilt this. I was thinking stitch in the ditch, but I had to piece together my batting and I am afraid the batting will shift and ball up if I don't stitch close... but then I hate the thought of quilting over the cute little faces.... I know if I wouldn't have pieced my batting it would have been easier, but I have to use my scraps sometime and I thought using it for a donated quilt would be a good time. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails 100_1950.jpg  
Old 08-29-2014, 03:38 PM

How sweet this is just darling good job.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:54 PM

Lovely quilt...maybe for the blocks with the faces you could quilt around the shapes and then on the blocks with the words you could quilt a cross enclosing the words?
Old 08-29-2014, 05:51 PM

There is no way I would quilt over those faces either. In a perfect world where my skills were good enough, I would outline each square with a face in it and then micro stipple behind the faces to make them really pop out. Double outline the squares with prayers in them. The pink and blue areas could be done in a meander.

Whatever it is you do, please show us the finished quilt. It is going to be wonderful.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:31 AM

Thank you for your ideas. thimblebug6000 - I like the idea of a cross. I think I will play around with that idea. Lisa_wanna_b_quilter - I agree with your idea of the micro stipple around the faces, but I don't think I am good enough quilter to pull that off. I am going to do some type of meander in the pink and blue sections...I think I can pull that part off alright
Old 08-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

You did an excellent job with your first BQ2 quilt. I too would outline the faces and stitch in the ditch. Depending on your FMQ would depend what to stitch on the Hot Pink fabric. I actually followed the zig and zag echoing the lines of the sewn pieces with straight stitching and I think I was able to mark it using 1" between the stitching line. I was very happy with the final results.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:14 PM

I agree with the idea of a meander in the pink & white areas and SITD around the printed blocks and a straight line stitch tracing the printed border on the prayer blocks. I did a quilt recently that was a bit similar, but it had applique dresses as the featured item. The dressed had ruffles & rick-rack & iron-on buttons and all sorts of little details that precluded everything larger than about an 1/8" design (which I'm not skilled enough to do), so I just left those areas be. It has been washed at least a half dozen times already & I've yet to see any sign of a problem from the open areas.
It's a sweet little quilt and I agree that quilting over the little girls' faces -- even with mono thread -- would probably distort them. You could maybe quilt a large inner circle in those blocks just to add a bit of detail, but I wouldn't risk more than that.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

do some radiating straight lines in the girls picture. you will have to take small stitches when stopping near them to lock your stitches. I did that on a SunBonnet Sue one and it worked well. Good luck. (you can mark lines with a hera marker which makes indentations only, nothing to try to wash out).
Old 08-30-2014, 05:32 PM

What does BQ2 mean? I am not familiar with a lot of initials used on the board. I looked at the list and could not find this one. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by GrammieJan View Post
What does BQ2 mean? I am not familiar with a lot of initials used on the board. I looked at the list and could not find this one. Thanks.
I wondered the same thing???