Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My husband actually asked me to make him a quilt!!! >

My husband actually asked me to make him a quilt!!!

My husband actually asked me to make him a quilt!!!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default My husband actually asked me to make him a quilt!!!

My husband actually asked me to make him a quilt using Desert Storm camo fabric. I am so excited!! I've made him many quilts, but he's never asked me to make him one. He's going elk hunting in the fall with a big party and I know the other guys will see this quilt, so I want it to be really nice. I want to impress him! So, I know I need to find an online quilt shop. I looked, but it seems like I found a lot of heavy denim or twill (I don't know what that is) or poly/cotton blend. Does anyone know of an online store that sells yards of Desert Storm camo fabric in cotton? And, anyone know of a good pattern to go with this camo? I'm stumped! He told me he wants a queen sized quilt for his camper and he wants the camo fabric and that's all he knows. Now, I have to figure out the rest. I know the Desert Storm fabric is a lighter camo, so I will need to have some bold fabric to make a punch and then some fabric that matches and some that contrasts. I'm feeling like a fish out of water right now. This type of fabric is something I would never use, so I need lots of help in deciding colors to go with it. So, any help on where I can buy the fabric online, a great pattern, and especially colors to go with it would really help me. Has anyone else made one of these? Any Ideas? Thanks, Jeanne
Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 PM

Does it have to be bought on line? Perhaps since it is so new to you, it might be better to actually put the fabrics next to each other as you make your choices...Unfortunately I have never used Desert Storm camo..I have used Real Tree, with a mix of moss green and hunter's orange..
Old 07-10-2012, 10:01 PM

I made a rag quilt out of my son-in-laws old uniforms - included pockets and other fun things - he loves it - it was a bit of a challenge working with the fabric so I did the rag quilt for ease - hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:26 PM

My DH just recently asked me to make him a quilt too, and I've been quilting for years. He asked me when he saw a bunch of halloween scraps a friend had given me. He loves Halloween!! I got so excited, I started cutting up that fabric the minute he asked me.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:31 PM

I found this:

http://www.lurasfabricshop.com/fabric-choices/camouflage/army-camo-fabric-in-desert-brown-camo419.html

When I checked Google, this was the pattern that came up; there appears to be a similar print but without the "chocolate chips".

http://www.lurasfabricshop.com/fabri...c-camo417.html
Old 07-11-2012, 06:01 AM

I don't know what the difference is between Desert Storm camo and other camo, so please forgive my ignorance. There's a nice camouflage fabric for Moda from Urban Chicks. Just avoid the pink variation.

Or here are a couple of camo variations from Fabric.com:
Camo Brown http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail....0-c2e7fbdffae5
Camo Green http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail....4-2b4a40991b31

They have others, but these seem most like what you might be looking for.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:06 AM

Have fun! If he wants it cameo maybe use solids in brown, sand and maybe find outdoor prints like trees or rocks to go with it all earth tones should work....
Old 07-11-2012, 06:06 AM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

What about a whole cloth quilt and quilted with the camo pattern?
Other thoughts...camo with red, white, and blue accents?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:21 AM

Desert Storm camo in pants, it is a very specific pattern. I'm thinking I saw it at JoAnn's but don't quote me. I am also guessing he was in Desert Storm. Now, is he going to use this quilt in the woods or desert? Is he interested in the camouflaging aspect or the memories aspect?? If memories try to get the correct camo but let him see what may or may not be available. Google is your friend! Desrt Storm camo fabric cotton should work
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348235[/ATTACH]Oh, oh, oh eBay!!!!! Really don't see 100% cotton but that may not be needed, just remember military style fabric is heavy. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=..._id=5890586988
Attached Thumbnails b-9-g-wk%7E%24-kgrhqr-hyev1-0ei-jbmnmkjtkkg%7E%7E_1.jpg  

Last edited by AZ Jane; 07-11-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Digitizingqueen View Post
Have fun! If he wants it cameo maybe use solids in brown, sand and maybe find outdoor prints like trees or rocks to go with it all earth tones should work....
That's what I was thinking... kind of earthy, outdoorsy cammo. Mucho macho!