Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My new projects (I have to tell or I'll burst!!!) >

My new projects (I have to tell or I'll burst!!!)

My new projects (I have to tell or I'll burst!!!)

Old 07-20-2007, 05:49 AM

Whoever invents an ironing board that all quilters love is going to make a fortune! I know I wish mine was rectangular instead of pointed. And I need a rack to set the iron in so it doesn't tip over. I think they sell those, but then the board will stick out too far, since the iron rack goes on the end.

I have a large cutting board made from a scrap of Corian (kitchen sink cutout) and I wrap it in leftover Warm and Natural batting. This way I have a firm surface to iron on, and I don't scorch the Corian.

Speaking of new project ideas, I had a crazy one yesterday. I LOVE Scrabble. I play the computer version at work when things are slow. I was looking at the board and thought, that is sort of a quilt layout! I bet I could make one out of different gray prints, with the blues, pinks and reds added in! And I could spell something out on it too.

I have about a dozen projects ahead of this one, so this is a someday idea, but I think it would be funny to have a giant Scrabble board on my bed.

:-D
Old 07-20-2007, 08:13 AM

My son made an ironing board for me in his shop class in high school. It was one of the best presents I ever got and I was definitely surprised. He painted the legs to match my living room and I made the top out of the same fabric I used for valances. I have a pieces of an old sheet that I use to cover the top when I use it so I don't scorch the pretty fabric. I never thought of using fabric with teflon, but I will be making a new top as soon as I find the fabric.
It sits along my stairs and seems to collect mail and the paper. My only complaint is that I have to clean it off every time I need to use it. That is my only complaint, it is too handy. :-)
Old 10-13-2008, 05:27 PM

i love your idea.i have been wanting to cut out one step from my quilting....the running to my ironing board!! i came up with the idea of cutting a piece of plywood to 18" square (fits my sewing table) and i am stapling that teflon stuff onto the board.
thanks for the push to do it!!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:15 AM

You'll have to post some pics when you are finished! I love that teflon material!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:36 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by chickenfoot
i love your idea.i have been wanting to cut out one step from my quilting....the running to my ironing board!! i came up with the idea of cutting a piece of plywood to 18" square (fits my sewing table) and i am stapling that teflon stuff onto the board.
thanks for the push to do it!!
I just about read thru the whole topic then realised this is an old topic brought back up. Interesting technique for log cabins posted by Patrice if you look!!

Heres a picture of how I avoid getting up and down while doing piecing, particularly foundation piecing etc., this is just a small wooden garden table with a sheet folded over several times and a tiny little 12" cutting board to the left, so I can trim, press and line up the next piece with a swivel of my chair :D I have neck problems and found that the lower height of this table was perfect for seeing straight down on top of your work and makes it easier to 'press' too :D I use a full size iron or sometimes my little Clover mini iron, but I find this a bit awkward to balance and have scorched the sheet several times with it :roll:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-40940.jpe  
Old 12-22-2008, 05:47 PM

For those who made their own ironing boards, what did you put between the wood and the cover? Does using steam warp the board? I'm not sure if I should ask my husband to put some kind of varnish on the surface of the wood. I also read somewhere to put aluminum foil on top of the wood before adding the cover. Does anyone recommend this?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:45 PM

Never heard of the aluminum thing...I don't recommend it though. I think varnish is a bad idea as you are going to be heating it up a great deal and it might give off chemical vapors...it'll hit your fabric before it hits your lungs.

As far as what to put between the cover and the wood, I used my hubby's industrial staple gun (all of once before I made him take over) and stapled on old bath towels...one to each side and then slid the cover on like a pillowcase and stapled that in place as well.

Good luck!

Melissa
Old 12-23-2008, 03:25 AM

Cool! show us pics please. :wink:
Old 12-23-2008, 04:43 AM

I used a fire proof ceiling tile as my base. Wrapped the top with 100% cotton batting gluing it to the back. I then wrapped it with 100% cotton ducking fabric and glued it to the back. It is the perfect size to take to classes or set beside your machine at home.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:21 AM

I made my own version of the Big Board (tm) by using the plywood with rounded corners.

First layer next to the wood: single layer felted wool blanket cut to exact shape of wooden surface - no overhang.

Second layer: is teflon coated material with overhang large enough to be folded over edge and brought underneath to be stapled. Cut strips of manilla file folder on top of the teflon material added stability to the area where staples were placed.

Third layer is removable duck cover. Wide bias tape used to make casing for nylon drape cord used as drawstring. Allow two opening areas, one on each side midway lengthwise. Cord cut in two pieces allows easy insertion and adjustment. Duck cover wears like iron -- excuse the pun :)

I use this on my adjustable height ironing board. Multiple uses include:
cutting surface with use of appropriate mats, place to layout blocks during assembly, surface to rest part of quilt when pinning or sewing.

Quiltingday suggested a firm base when I was in the brainstorming stage for the board. That's why I used only one layer of felted wool. I have never regreted that decision. Thanks, quiltingday :) This is definitely my favorite quilting tool.

Piecefully yours,
Kay Susan