Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My son

My son

let me know over the weekend while sorting through thread that he would like to learn sewing. He not only wants to learn how to quilt, but he wants to also do clothing. I have NO problems in teaching him the quilting, but as for clothing, I haven't done anything like that since I took home economics back in high school, many many moons ago. As for quilting, I am self taught and online classes and you tube.

Any and all suggestions in helping him would be greatly appreciated. He is 16.

TIA
    http://www.OutlawTheWicks.com

Get him a sewing for dummies book. Very easy to understand and has simple projects to start. I think it is wonderful he wants to learn to sew. It is a life skill and not just a girly thing. I wish him the best!!!
    Sue

Power Poster
    Might start with shorts - or pajama bottoms. Very forgiving as to sizing!

Then pillow cases.

Blog Entries
    I think I would start out with some very basic sewing classes (web classes). There are some very easy and great patterns that would be ideal for a young man to start with (simple pajama pants and shorts). Also let him sew your 1/4 seams and get a feel for sewing straight lines.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Jo-Ann's usually offers sewing classes for teens as well as beginning sewing. My 19-year old daughter had a friend of mine teach her how to read and cut using a pattern last summer. My friend taught her all the basics and now my daughter is a sewing fiend

Just start! My 13 year old grandson started when he was 6 and now runs my mid-arm like a pro, better than I. He has entered a qult only once but got a first place and Best First quilter.
    My 8 year old granddaughter entered 2 quilts in the columbia county Fair last month and got a Best of Show.
    When they WANT to learn they will with a little guidance. Have FUN.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    I think that is awesome. My son got interested and made one quilt block, but quickly lost interest when the machine I gave him went south. I would surely encourage artistic expression, no matter the medium!
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I think it's great that he wants to learn! Just keep encouraging him, and let him know that it gets easier with practice.

Speaking of practice, he can learn to use the sewing machine by sewing on lined paper, with no thread in the machine at all. That will allow him to learn how to control where the stitching goes, without worrying about thread tangles etc.

My son (now 19) had made a pillow in life-skills class in 8th grade. Under my obsessive eye, he even did a fine job of the ruffled edge. I thought he'd forgotten how to sew entirely, until this summer when he took a fabric scrap and made a catnip-filled toy for our kitties to play with. Ok, so it was only a roughly sewn rectangle, but still, he thought of it himself and did remember how to use the machine!

I taught my son how to use a sewing machine and how to hand sew hem's, and make repairs to his cloths, when in High School he took a home Ec. class just for boys. He is a whizz at replacing zippers in jeans and coats. While in the Navy some of his ship mates found out he knew how to use a needle, he made extra $ doing small repairs, heming, and sewing on insignias. He is now retired from the Navy but still does some sewing for school plays, the kids costumes

Quote Originally Posted by SharonTX View Post
    let me know over the weekend while sorting through thread that he would like to learn sewing. He not only wants to learn how to quilt, but he wants to also do clothing. I have NO problems in teaching him the quilting, but as for clothing, I haven't done anything like that since I took home economics back in high school, many many moons ago. As for quilting, I am self taught and online classes and you tube.

Any and all suggestions in helping him would be greatly appreciated. He is 16.

TIA
    All he probably needs for sewing clothing is learning basic sewing--------which you do with quilting. Start him on a couple simple patterns, like uni-sex raglan hoodie and PJ bottom (long or short)
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by sewnutty2 View Post
    Get him a sewing for dummies book. Very easy to understand and has simple projects to start. I think it is wonderful he wants to learn to sew. It is a life skill and not just a girly thing. I wish him the best!!!
    Sue
    It actually floored me when he let me know of this. My mother in law thinks he would be great at it, as he loves to draw and has taken art since middle school. She thinks if he applies he art to sewing there would be NO limits for him. I just never in my wildest dreams would have thought of him wanting to do this. But I'm NOT complaining one bit, just don't want to disappoint him. Hope I can remember NOT to be the parent when teaching him and also to keep reminding him to have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyElisabeth View Post
    Just start! My 13 year old grandson started when he was 6 and now runs my mid-arm like a pro, better than I. He has entered a qult only once but got a first place and Best First quilter.
    My 8 year old granddaughter entered 2 quilts in the columbia county Fair last month and got a Best of Show.
    When they WANT to learn they will with a little guidance. Have FUN.
    That is fantastic. WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    All he probably needs for sewing clothing is learning basic sewing--------which you do with quilting. Start him on a couple simple patterns, like uni-sex raglan hoodie and PJ bottom (long or short)
    Excellent ideas. Go to the store and look for simple or easy to sew, or if they have a one hour pattern...something with a few seams and not a lot of fit. That will get him used to the idea of sewing right sides together, etc.

Does he see himself designing? If he is good at art, then maybe that is in his future?

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.
    He and I will start this week, will be purchasing the "Sewing for Dummies" and who knows, I may learn a thing or two from it also. I will also let him do some 1/4 inch seams on some of the blocks I need piecing to help him with straight lines.

Blog Entries
    There are also a lot of youtube and blog tutorials for making clothes, inserting zippers, and making buttonholes. I got over my fear of zippers with a blog tutorial making wristlets. Have fun teaching your son to sew.

Blog Entries
    There is a site called Threadbanger that seems to be run by young people. It has lots of tutes and videos and just some cool stuff on it. http://www.youtube.com/user/ThreadBanger?feature=watch is their video site. I can't find their main website right now. Too early; not enough coffee....
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

Whatever you do - don't buy any of those Sewing for Dummies patterns! The book is fine, the patterns can be a nightmare. I admit I am not a garment sewer and failed miserably at it in HS, however I wanted to make a blanket coat for my Dachshund. I figured a Sewing for Dummies pattern was the perfect solution, that even I couldn't screw it up. I had so much trouble with it I had a friend who is an excellent seamstress look it over. It wasn't me. There was an error in the pattern. Come to find out there were others in the line with problems. Quality control might be better now, but it made me finally give up any notion of sewing for me or the dog!

My favorite way to get people of any age started in sewing is have them start with a jelly roll race quilt. It get's them comfortable with the sewing machine and making consistent seams, it gives them enough room to run out of bobbin thread and what to do when that happen's, running your hand down one side to make sure the fabric is not twisted, and they have a nice quilt to show for their first time at the machine. All of these thing's seem so simple for us but, for someone that does not have the experience it can be very intimidating.
    My son started sewing when he was in high school, he's not sewing now but he just finished teaching 3 stained glass classes and sold his first art print.
    Good Luck and happy sewing.
    Carol

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

Then pillow cases.
    These were my first thoughts, too.
    Cheryl, hiding away in my quilting studio

It is really great to hear our son ask to sew. But than there are a lot of men that quilt . An they sew garments also. I hope he gets into it good. Have you seen some of the quilts the men make ? Fantastic. joyce j

Blog Entries
    It seems, in my family, sewing skips a generation. My grandmother worked in a sewing factory and she did a lot of sewing at home. My mother never really learned how, because she always had someone to do any repairs, etc. It's always something I've been interested in. I'm not as good as I want to be (but who is?!) and I have one child, a 15-year old son. He hasn't shown any interest, but I've forced him to learn how to do the basics on a sewing machine. But the best part is that I've done a lot of alterations and repairs to his clothes. He bought some shorts that were too big, and I took up the waist so he could wear them. He had a pair of black jeans that he loved but ripped them from the crotch to the knee! So I made a very long patch out of plaid flannel and left the edges raw and sewed it up. Then I added another fake-patch to the other leg and one on the back. I let him use some safety pins and he had a broken bracelet that we pinned. He loved those jeans and when someone asked about it, he said he did it himself (I "helped", of course!). He has several pair of jeans that have ripped and I patch them up and they look just like Mall Jeans and he couldn't be any happier.
    I guess my point is, even though he doesn't have the interest, he knows the value of knowing how to do things like this. I don't know what I'd do with myself if he decided he wants to learn how to quilt or make clothes!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

I would suggest that he make something he would actually wear. A successful first project...and off he will be a running...at least for making clothes. There are many easy patterns, though they can be a bit expensive. Our Hancock's always has one of the pattern brands on sale for $2. or so. I'd get one of them. I have seen a pattern that makes a simple PJ bottom with drawstring and a v neck over the head top. That might be a good way to start.

As for quilting, it is a whole different mind set, but you already know all about that!

Tell him we are all on his side!

Dina

Here are some professional schools for art and clothing design. If he has a natural talent, perhaps this is his field of work? They always say do something you love and it will never feel like work.

http://www.ask.com/web?q=Clothing%20...l&geo=US&ver=6

Also the is a forum on line that has many wonderful classes and reviews of patterns.

It is at http://sewing.patternreview.com/

I am sure he could spend hours reading all of the wonderful information there.

If he is going to make clothing... buy him a dress form, pressing hams and some good long lasting tool and a great machine. Draping and using them for fit makes all of the difference in the world when it comes to a perfect fit and creative style.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 08-06-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Keep in mind there are many tutorials on the web for regular sewing as there is for quilting. Tell him, get online and find a project that has a tutorial and just show him how to use the machine. Good for him. Nice to have someone artistic...

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

Then pillow cases.
    My DS had to take Home Ec while he was in HS & they made pillowcases. I still have mine! I think it's wonderful that your DS wants to learn to sew!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast