Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on Flannel Rag quilt options >

Need advice on Flannel Rag quilt options

Need advice on Flannel Rag quilt options

Old 02-23-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by jazs2
I have made about 15 rag quilts and I use batting in between flannel. I know you can also use homespun with batting also. Haven't tried it yet that is on my list of want to do.
I think it gives it more body.
jazs2
Homespun fabric rags or frays the best because it is a woven fabric, meaning both sides are the same. No wrong side, good two sides. Brushed homespun has one softer side like flannel and a regular side. They are usually plaid patterns or checks. Flannel is the second best for fraying, then denim, then cottons. Batiks are made on a tightly woven cotton so probably not a good choice.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:58 AM

Does everyone wash their flannel first? I have had people tell me "yes" and some say "no" but I trust all the advice I get here on the board so that is why I am asking. I will appreciate all responses.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:14 PM

Not for the raggy quilts, you want them to fray as much as possible.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

On the raggy quitls you DO NOT was first :wink:
Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nursie76
I understand how to make the neat rag quilts, but I am undecided whether to make with 3 layers of flannel, or 2 layers of flannel with a square of batting in between. Any advice or input would be appreciated. I think it would be easier to cut all the flannel squares the same size than trying to cut the batting smaller so it would fit within the side stitching area. Maybe I am just being lazy. :roll:
I used batting between 2 layers of flannel on this top quilt and it was washed once to start the ragging. It turned out really nice and WARM! Which is what was needed for these cold midwestern winters!

The second photo I used 3 layers of flannel, which is still very warm, but not as 'heavy' for a toddler to sleep under. The 3 layers of flannel ragged a little nicer, but I don't think the one with batting was too bad.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-113247.jpe   attachment-113248.jpe  
Old 09-07-2010, 11:58 AM

I have made rag quilts both ways. My favorite way is to use flannel as the batting. I made raq quilts from cotton and used flannel for batting and it turned out very nicely. Gave the fringe a fluffier look than only cotton would have.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:17 PM

Still haven't gotten around to making one of these yet, but I would really like to put one together for my eldest DD for Christmas. She has dropped a hint or two that makes me think she wants one. Thanks for all the advice. I just need to finish a few things first and then I do think I will start one.

Have a great day!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:25 PM

Lady T - I really like the edges of your second rag quilt - I've never seen that done before. Love the pinks & greens together too.

I'm curious if anyone else does not sew the X - would sure save time. And if no X what size block?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by annmarie
Lady T - I really like the edges of your second rag quilt - I've never seen that done before. Love the pinks & greens together too.

I'm curious if anyone else does not sew the X - would sure save time. And if no X what size block?
If you use a piece of flannel for the batting and it's the same size as your outside squares, you may not need to sew the X but it does help to hold the 3 layers together when you go to sew the rows together. If you use cotton batting for the center,( which is cut one inch smaller than the outer squares when you use a 1/2 inch seam allowance), you must sew an X otherwise the batting will bunch up into a ball if it isn't secured.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 PM

I made one with two layers of flannel with one layer of batting and it was too heavy. Since then I've made quite a few with just the two layers of flannel.

Most I sewed with an "X" but one one I played with and did different designs in each block. I made houses, flowers, names, trees, and all kinds of fun stuff.