Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: Need advice - I want to make a photo memory quilt wall hanging but no bigger than 36x36 - Any pattern ideas???

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,084
    Hi everyone, it has really been on my mind to make a wallhanging with some of my family pics from long ago. I have gotten the printable fabric figured out on what I want to use but I just don't know what pattern to make. I need advice on pattern, pics or link to help. It is a small space so it can't be any bigger than 36" x 36" finished. I am so hoping someone here knows of a great pattern. thanks :)

  2. #2
    Super Member maine ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,002
    I would wonder how many photos you plan to put in the quilt and what size each of them are. Are they all one size, or different sizes? Do you want an alternate block? Just a few questions that immediately came to me.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,084
    all 4" x 6" and 6"x 4". The number of photos is optional. Not fussy. Just thought it would look cute above the kids computer station. Perfer only photo blocks no alternate blocks. I hope this helps :(
    Quote Originally Posted by maine ladybug
    I would wonder how many photos you plan to put in the quilt and what size each of them are. Are they all one size, or different sizes? Do you want an alternate block? Just a few questions that immediately came to me.

  4. #4
    Super Member maine ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,002
    Quote Originally Posted by thequiltmama
    all 4" x 6" and 6"x 4". The number of photos is optional. Not fussy. Just thought it would look cute above the kids computer station. Perfer only photo blocks no alternate blocks. I hope this helps :(
    Quote Originally Posted by maine ladybug
    I would wonder how many photos you plan to put in the quilt and what size each of them are. Are they all one size, or different sizes? Do you want an alternate block? Just a few questions that immediately came to me.
    That being the case, I would start by making them all 6X6. I would just add to both of the shorter sides to make them that way. Then you can use sashing between the blocks to put them together and even add cornerstones if you want to. If you do cornerstones you could make stars out of them too. Sort of like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images



  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,084
    thanks that is a really good idea. I am googling shadow box photo quilts right now. :)

  6. #6
    Super Member maine ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,002
    Glad to help. Please let us see what you decide to make. And I'd love to see the finished product.
    Happy Sewing!

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,084
    have you seen any with the shadow box effect? if so do you know of any pics. I am a visual learner. Pics help me lots. :)

  8. #8
    Super Member maine ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,002
    Quote Originally Posted by thequiltmama
    have you seen any with the shadow box effect? if so do you know of any pics. I am a visual learner. Pics help me lots. :)
    Not sure. Do you mean like attic window?
    http://www.quilterscache.com/A/AtticWindowsBlock.html

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,084
    nope, I saw a tshirt quilt on here that someone had done...I am going to see if I can find it now. Be right back :)

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,084
    ugh, now I can't find it. They had made a dark (black looking) shadow kind of behind to make it look like a shadow. Does that make sense or am I confusing? :)

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    662

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,084
    But I scanned my rough sketch. I don't know if you can see it though. It is in pencil and very rough draft.
    Quote Originally Posted by thequiltmama
    nope, I saw a tshirt quilt on here that someone had done...I am going to see if I can find it now. Be right back :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,084
    YES YES YES... thanks. that is what I want to do with it I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    662
    I'm trying to formulate one of my own too, using different panels. I got some more ideas from a member who traded this pattern with me .

    http://www.ericas.com/quilting/patterns/52245b.jpg

    I'm still in the process though....like you

  15. #15
    Super Member maine ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,002
    That's a cool pattern. I hadn't seen it before. Good luck.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,084
    I really like that one with the double shadow. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
    I'm trying to formulate one of my own too, using different panels. I got some more ideas from a member who traded this pattern with me .

    http://www.ericas.com/quilting/patterns/52245b.jpg

    I'm still in the process though....like you

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by thequiltmama
    I really like that one with the double shadow. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
    I'm trying to formulate one of my own too, using different panels. I got some more ideas from a member who traded this pattern with me .

    http://www.ericas.com/quilting/patterns/52245b.jpg

    I'm still in the process though....like you
    There's a few more ideas here:
    http://mountainpeekcreations.com/patterns.aspx

    http://mountainpeekcreations.com/index.aspx

    The same gal who did the floating boxes.

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,576
    Looks like some good ideas.

  19. #19
    mKYwright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    13
    Here is one that I did that was about that size - only thing I would do different is I would not do the pictues in the star bocks I would do them in the blocks around the pictures. I have the block patterns if you'd like let me knwo and I'll send it to you.

    wall hanging memory quilt
    Name:  Attachment-175079.jpe
Views: 261
Size:  65.4 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,613
    Blog Entries
    163
    OOOHHHH, I really like those, I will have to buy the pattern. Thank You

  21. #21
    Super Member Arleners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stony Brook, NY
    Posts
    1,213
    I made a memory quilt for my sister's 50th birthday. what I did was match novelty fabric to the photo.
    for example - a picture of her and her son at the beach was bordered with a seaside pattern. A picture of us as children sitting on the front stoop in Brooklyn was bordered with trees (as in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn) I added a 3 inch border all around each picture - regardless of the orientation. Then I picked out a neutral background fabric and bordered the borders. I then cut the blocks to a size that accomodated the largest picture. (I believe I had 12 inch blocks) I sewed these together and then added a small border. I just stitched in the ditch around the pictures and borders and stippled the background. I don't have a picture handy, but it came out really nice.

  22. #22
    lbc
    lbc is offline
    Senior Member lbc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vallejo, California
    Posts
    974
    Why don't you let your pictures be your guide. Lay them out and then vary your sashings to fit and then a simple border.

  23. #23
    Super Member OmaForFour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,385
    Blog Entries
    4
    Where can I find the instructions on doing the photos themselves?

  24. #24
    lbc
    lbc is offline
    Senior Member lbc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vallejo, California
    Posts
    974
    Buy a pkg of Printed Treasures or a similar product (there are many brands to choose from) and the directions will be on the package.

  25. #25
    Super Member OmaForFour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,385
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thank you so much! I will do that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.