Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice >

Need advice

Need advice

Old 09-03-2010, 06:48 AM

I don't like the bulk of batting in my placemats. I like to use a piece of flannel intead. It gives the placemat enough body without adding bulk. But that's just me......
Old 09-03-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by DeniseP
I don't like the bulk of batting in my placemats. I like to use a piece of flannel intead. It gives the placemat enough body without adding bulk. But that's just me......
No, it's not just you - I like using flannel, too!
Old 09-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
Do you wash the flannel first? I don't wash any of my fabric and have never had a problem.
This is how my mother viewed washing fabric before using it:
"Clothing manufacturers don't wash fabric before they make clothes, nobody would buy it." I'm down with that.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
Do you wash the flannel first? I don't wash any of my fabric and have never had a problem.
This is how my mother viewed washing fabric before using it:
"Clothing manufacturers don't wash fabric before they make clothes, nobody would buy it." I'm down with that.
This is a controversial subject, but I always, always prewash all fabrics (washable fabrics only, of course). I've found this to be especially true of 100% cotton fabrics. I have had too many problems with fabrics shrinking, fading, bleeding, etc, to say nothing of finding out after washing that the design on the fabric was not printed squarely. All of this would have absolutely ruined anything I made with it. Once burned, twice shy. Only last week I returned a panel print to Joann's after I washed and dried it because it turned out that the whole picture in the panel was crooked on the fabric; the the selvages matched up perfectly and the yardage was cut perfectly straight on the dotted cutting line. They gave me all my money back and marked the whole bolt as defective.

It's probably true that clothing manufacturers don't wash fabrics first. Have you ever washed a T-shirt that was all twisted and wonky after it was washed and dried? You can't fold it straight, it doesn't hang straight when it's worn, the neckline is out of kilter, etc.

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but I always prewash.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:24 AM

me, too, the flannel has to washed first for shrinkage, but it sure lies flat. It quilts up nicely, too, and it doesn't have to be very close.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:34 AM

Willow, here's something that happened to me. I made lovely placemats. When I washed them they puffed so nice (that kind of puffy would have been lovely for a whole quilt). However they became puffy in all the wrong places and a glass wouldn't stand level on them. Had to put glasses and coffee cups up above the placemat on a solid surface. Something old or tried and true in the batting part would have been better (as has been suggested).