Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Need CHAIR for sewing table ... what do YOU use???

I have used both and I like swivel, because they are more adjustable. I use a cheap office chair paid 47 bucks for and love it
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

Blog Entries
    I use a swivel chair also, and the height is adjustable as well to accommodate whatever table height I might be working at. It also has rollers on the bottom so I can glide a few feet to grab something without having to get up. Mine has a cloth covering which is nice because I think vinyl or leather might become too hot to sit on after a while. It has fixed arms and they have never caused me any problems from an ergonomic point of view. I've had it for some time, but I believe I purchased it at an office store.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

I love my very inexpensive swivel chair from IKEA! It also is on rollers so I can roll from table to counter with no problem. I don't have arms on mine and don't miss them one bit.....in fact, I think they would get in the way. Hope you find exactly what you need!
    Leslie

Blog Entries
    Swivel, rollers and adjustable height is a must for my body!!
    Gigi07

Learn from Yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow.

I have always used a comfortable office chair which is adjustable. I have always been able to find them at bargain prices at second hard stores or used office furniture place. If you spend several hours at the machine besides having your body at the right height be sure to get up and move around a couple of times and hour.

I've been thinking about getting that Bungee chair from the Container Store. Glad to hear someone likes it.
    Pat

I use a desk chair that swivels and adjusts for height.....I love it!....it's also on wheels, which works out very well on my hardwood floors....just remember not to lean over forwards too far to pick up those pins or your butt will end up on the floor with the pins (go ahead, ask me how I know...LOL)

A sewing room chair needs swivel wheels because we are always getting up to cut, press fabric and back to the sewing machine. Also no arms on the chair, I think they would get in the way and bump into your sewing cabinet.

I also use an office chair without arms. I like the cloth upholstery.Once I got used to the swivel and the wheels I was sold. When I move to the dining table for working on larger quilts, I roll my chair along. Pushing a dining chair back and forth is hard on the back and legs.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I use an office swivel chair. I've been using one for years and have been through several styles. The one I use now has arm rests and so far, I like this one the best. It takes up a bit more room but is way more comfy!
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I bought an office chair that swivels years ago and its still sturdy as ever .. I wouldn't trade any other chair for it. I can also change the height on it which makes it nice.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I use an office type swivel chair. No arms though.
    Amythyst

would love to see your new room when done.

I use a swivel rolling office chair. I have my sewing room set up in an unused bedroom, I have an L shaped area, on the right is my sewing table, i swivel to my left and there is my ironing table. So much better on my knees than having to get up.
    Since the bedroom is carpeted I had one of those plastic office mats on the carpet so I could roll the chair. Well after years it wore out. One day we were at a barn sale and I saw an open box of those wood laminate floors (pergo type) that go togeter like a key in a lock. Well for 10.00 we bought it and DH put it together, my chair glides betten than when it was on the plastic thing..btw...it was over 40.00 to buy the plastic thing. So I saved money, it looks nice too.

I use a swivel chair. It is so easy to get in and out of your sewing space to get to the cutting area or ironing board.

I use 2 cheap Ikea chairs. Just thinking about it....maybe that's why I don't sit and peice very long. I think I will look at chairs..............

Hi Jody.......In answer to your question, I use a swivel office chair which of course has wheels. It is so helpful in my set up. As I sit facing my machine, all I have to do is make a 1/4 turn to my ironing set up, and make another 1/4 turn and I'm facing my cutting table..I can do all my steps for quilting without ever leaving my chair! Which is good for me as I am somewhat handicapped. I know others wouldn't like it that way... one lady has her ironing board across the room so that she has to get up and walk and stand in order to iron her pieces. That's the way she likes it and so is perfect for her! The office chairs are very sturdy and are very comfortable. You'll be surprised!

Just something else to think about.... I have a swivel, wheeled chair also, with a vinyl seat and back. Unfortunately our summers are hot and humid here. Sewing in shorts in a room with just a fan and no A/C = me, stuck to the chair! So I had to recover my vinyl back and seat with fabric, or else every time I get up to iron, it's a negative experience (LOL).

If the 400.00 dollar table is from sew perfect you will love it. I have 2 tables from them and love them both. I have one with an extension to hold the large quilts when I sew. Luann in CT
    Live Love and Laugh Enough!

I have a rolling swivel chair and wouldn't use anything else. I actually wore one out and so my DH gave me a Bernina sewing chair for Christmas two years ago. I love it!!
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

I got my daughter a the chair (or stool) the dential assitant uses.She loves it as it is adjustable up and down and has a back, and a swing arm.I think we got it on E-Bay.It was a little spendy but she only has one back.
    My words of wisdom start early and enjoy longer.

I love my little swivel desk chair for sewing. Ajustable height.

I use a drafting chair that I ordered from WalMart. It swivels and has a foot rest. It can be raised or lowered to different heights and cost $89. Works really well and easy to put together.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

Vat
    I just bought a new chair and it rolls with 5 legs, the back is mesh (which makes it cooler), arms that roll back our of the way (one or both at the same time), adjustable up and down. Not it is not heavy, I love it! ! ! Got it at Walmart. Think it was 59 or 69 dollars, and it is comfortable.

Definitely swivel. I work in my basement, which has a cement floor. It's a large area, and I love being able to roll around all over the place

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast