Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Cleaning Advice for Vintage Quilt Blocks >

Need Cleaning Advice for Vintage Quilt Blocks

Need Cleaning Advice for Vintage Quilt Blocks

Old 12-13-2016, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Default Need Cleaning Advice for Vintage Quilt Blocks

I just scored some wonderful old dresdens and other quilt blocks that were hand pieced out of fabrics from the 20's and 30's... the old feedsacks. These blocks are very delicate but have some discoloration from age. What would be the best way to clean them and brighten them up? I'm sure this will involve soaking them for a while in something and then hand washing... but what? Is there a product for this that will work on delicate old fabric?

Also, the dresdens weren't made the right way. The points are raw, (cut pointed rather than straight and folded) . I guess I'll have to needleturn those... unless there is another way?

TIA for your help!
Old 12-13-2016, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

The dresdens:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]563692[/ATTACH]

?? Block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]563693[/ATTACH]

And check out this little beauty!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]563694[/ATTACH]

I'm finding most of the dresdens don't lay flat, so I'm thinking about opening them into quarter-dresdens and making "Grandmother's Fan" blocks out of them.
Attached Thumbnails dsc03287-small-.jpg   dsc03289-small-.jpg   dsc03288-small-.jpg  
Old 12-13-2016, 02:57 PM

I would hand wash them and lay them flat to dry. They will look much better then. I have washed old 30's prints and had good luck with it. I would not put them in a quilt if they don't survive the washing. Fabric has to be somewhat durable to be quilted.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:14 PM
KLO

Orvis is suppose to be very good and gentle for washing things like this, I believe. Those green centers in the first photo look like they are coming apart? They just look strange in the photo so I am not sure if that is what is happening. Anyway, if the blocks don't flatten out when you hand soak/wash them, your idea about "halving" or "quartering" them sounds like a good solution. You might just want to make a wall hanging or perhaps table top quilt where it won't get any traffic to harm them if they are too delicate. I hope others chime in with suggestions and ideas to save these old blocks. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2016, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
Orvis is suppose to be very good and gentle for washing things like this, I believe. Those green centers in the first photo look like they are coming apart? They just look strange in the photo so I am not sure if that is what is happening. Anyway, if the blocks don't flatten out when you hand soak/wash them, your idea about "halving" or "quartering" them sounds like a good solution. You might just want to make a wall hanging or perhaps table top quilt where it won't get any traffic to harm them if they are too delicate. I hope others chime in with suggestions and ideas to save these old blocks. Good luck!
Thanks KLO... those green "centers" are my cutting mat underneath. Most of the dresdens dont have centers yet, only the one with the orange center. LOL! Sorry for the confusing photo.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:59 PM

Use Restoration--it's a cleaner made just for this. You can use it either with hand wash/soak or in the machine. You will be AMAZED at what a difference it makes and I love your blocks!
Old 12-13-2016, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Use Restoration--it's a cleaner made just for this. You can use it either with hand wash/soak or in the machine. You will be AMAZED at what a difference it makes and I love your blocks!
Thanks... I knew there was something. Any suggestions where to buy it?
Old 12-14-2016, 05:09 PM
KLO

sewbizgirl,

Oh hahaha, I did not realize that those green areas were your cutting mat peeking through. That's so funny. It's a "duh" moment for me. hehehe I really thought the green centers were coming apart and fraying. Oops!
Old 12-14-2016, 06:54 PM
Kas

Borax. It's the cheapest option. The only thing is, when I soaked my vintage linens, I put them in the sun with the borax. I don't know if it works as well without the sunlight. Hmmm. Anyone know the answer to that? One of those soak products for vintage linens is nothing but borax, but I can't remember which one!
Old 12-14-2016, 09:29 PM

Orvis soap can be ordered thru JoAnn's website. Orvis soap is actually sold by the gallon for $26 to clean and make shine the horses at the fair.