Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need cute craft ideas for the holidays

need cute craft ideas for the holidays

Hi everyone,

I have been asked to possibly teach a demonstration or class to make some crafts for the holidays. I have been asked to keep it low cost, and I would like some ideas. I could do the 10 minute table runner, but I would also like some other ideas. If they can be free that would be great. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

hsquiltingmom

How about reusable sleeves for hot cups? I took a cardboard sleeve from Starbucks as a template, added a little "flange" to make it a full circle and used fabric and batting pieces out of my scrap bins for the whole project. Put it together inside out, flipped it out-side-out and topstitched around the edges a few times. It was a last second birthday gift for my husband (who does electronic music) so I found a decorative stitch that looked sort of like a sound wave and added that across the middle. Then sewed the flange down to the other side to make it a circle. Took me maybe an hour? And only used scraps, so it's environmentally friendly on two levels! He uses it almost every day. Hardest part was closing it up into a circle at the end (last step) - had to really squeeze it in there. But it worked out ok. Not bad for a seat-of-the-pants project!

I don't have a tutorial, but here's the finished product. I'm thinking this would go well with a Starbucks gift card to a couple people on my christmas list this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    how about using velcro on the tab, then its adjustable,
    someone w
    else on the3 board did these i9n bright cottons for a summer bash, it's a great idea to come up with

Join Pinterest. You'll see more cute Christmas crafts than you can do in a year!!

Mug rugs are fast too. Just a thought. You could do them in really fun fabrics. There is also luggage tags or those cute name tags that the girls are wearing on nice cords at the quilt shows (like a necklace).

A fabric or felted flower pin for your jacket would be pretty quick and easy to do. The hobby store sells the sew on pin backs in bulk.

Oh! pot holders would be a good one too. Or how about a pp ornament or gift box for the tree?
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 09-19-2012 at 07:58 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

coasters with snowmen, snowflake, stocking or Christmas tree applique would be fast and cute!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    I don't have a tutorial, but here's the finished product. I'm thinking this would go well with a Starbucks gift card to a couple people on my christmas list this year.
    this is a cute idea!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I love the Snappy bags, have made several as gifts. Takes about 30 minutes to do. Made with scraps or sometimes a theme fabric that fits the person.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    The purse size tissue holders seem popular as well, lots of members on the board do them, could probably find a tute on here from one of them if needed.
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

Love all your ideas. I have been looking for easy things to make for the TV Christmas program
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Christmas tree napkins folded like a Christmas tree to go along with the 10 minute table runner. Cut 2- 16 " diameter circles of contrasting material, cut in half. Sew the 2 - 1/2 circles together. Top stitch around edges. Fold like a Christmas tree. Easy, easy.

I had the ladies in my group make these at Christmas last year. They all enjoyed the results.monly need is a small amount of fabric and needle and thread.
    http://www.sewingandbeyond.com/userf...%20Folding.pdf
    The hexagons can be sewn together to make ornaments
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing
    ♥♥♥ Loving Mama ♥♥♥

If life gives you scraps, make an angel quilt out of it!

how about those quick pillowcases? They work up so quickly! So fun!
    http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millio.../freepatterns/

For bazaars in the past, my group made potato bags (for the microwave), napkins, placemats, pinch mitts (for the microwave, potholders, tea bag wallets, hot cup sleeves, earrings from buttons, gift bags (cut and fuse cute fabrics to plain gift bags), wine bags, purse organizers.....most of these things have tutorials on line.
    psumom

Blog Entries
    It's that time of year, isn't it? Looking froward to everyone's ideas.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pattypurple View Post
    I had the ladies in my group make these at Christmas last year. They all enjoyed the results.monly need is a small amount of fabric and needle and thread.
    http://www.sewingandbeyond.com/userf...%20Folding.pdf
    The hexagons can be sewn together to make ornaments
    Pat- thank you so much - I love them !!
    DottyD.

Here is the link to some of the projects I have done.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/washcloth-slippers-nursing-homes-t62303-2.html

These are very easy to do and quite comfortable.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-i-have-been-doing-lately-t72741.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/crochet-thread-christmas-angel-ornament-t67519.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/items-made-our-quilt-guild-t200588.html
    These pin cushions were made with every day knick knacks that you find around the house, at thrift stores and yard sales.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/2011-christmas-projects-i-completed-t174421.html

This one I wanted to show youthe pillow cases and the pot holders toward the bottom of the post. I have also made key chains and coasters I have made with the pot holder idea.

I have also made small aprons to go on dish detergent bottles. If you are interested in these, send me a PM and I will be glad to send you a picture of them. Good Luck
    Donna

The fabric key fobs seem to be a popular item to make. I have not made these yet, but want to make some before the holidays. http://www.theidearoom.net/2009/08/f...ey-chains.html

The only thing I can think of not already mentioned for people is a stocking and fill it with whatever goodies the recipient might enjoy. If they have pets, you can make dog collars or bandanas, dog and/or cat toys, placemats, quilts...I always make my mom's dogs a little something for Christmas.
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Its hard to see where youre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting. I got ideas from your posting!

Blog Entries
    If you go into "Craftsy.com" and type in, "Christmas Crafts" (hope that will get you where I want you to go) there is a class on felt things for Christmas and the felt squares at JoAnn's are very inexpensive. Don't know if this is will be helpful or not. Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    here is my tutee for super easy tissue holders. They are very easy, fast and really cute. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...r-t107636.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    How about reusable sleeves for hot cups? I took a cardboard sleeve from Starbucks as a template, added a little "flange" to make it a full circle and used fabric and batting pieces out of my scrap bins for the whole project. Put it together inside out, flipped it out-side-out and topstitched around the edges a few times. It was a last second birthday gift for my husband (who does electronic music) so I found a decorative stitch that looked sort of like a sound wave and added that across the middle. Then sewed the flange down to the other side to make it a circle. Took me maybe an hour? And only used scraps, so it's environmentally friendly on two levels! He uses it almost every day. Hardest part was closing it up into a circle at the end (last step) - had to really squeeze it in there. But it worked out ok. Not bad for a seat-of-the-pants project!

I don't buy coffee out very often but that would be a great idea for someone who does.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Projects I've gotten from the board. A couple years ago someone posted a really cute pattern for a Christmas stocking mug rug. It's quick-----and darling.

Also, a couple years ago, quilted stars made from squares folded into triangles. I made about 200 last year---------so I never want to make another, but they were easy and really cute.

I made a bunch of Christmas pillowcases, too. A Christmas flannel makes a VERY welcome warm pillow case.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast