Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need encouragement. Cal King on home sewing machine >

Need encouragement. Cal King on home sewing machine

Need encouragement. Cal King on home sewing machine

Old 01-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I did a king size quilt set on point and did it on a small dinky Brother - I started in the middle and worked out. It was just bulky but it worked fine. I did SITD.
It is so good to hear this. I definitely plan to only quilt the minimum. Thanks for sharing your succes. When I'll feel frustrated it is good to know some other people did it and it is possible.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shelbie
A king sized quilt will go through a Janome 6500. I have now done three King sized quilts on my Janome 6500.
Woohooo! Thank you for sharing your experiences and tips. All very encouraging and helpfull.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
If you were planning to machine quilt diagonally, then I think it would work fine on this type of quilt as long as you also cut the batting diagonally. The middle piece would go from one corner to the other corner.
Thanks for this tip. I think since I am basted already I will try and puddle and do sections but if worse comes to worse this would definitely be a good option to try and I will definitely keep it in mind for the next King quilt. Truely you think I might try this again? LOL
Old 01-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

You can do it!!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

I usually quilted larger quilts in sections, but my first diamond log cabin star (93x104, so not as large as your quilt) couldn't be divided up that way. I wound up basting the whole thing with water soluble thread on the John Flynn frame (first and last time I used that frame, but it did the job) and then I did FMQ on my Bernina. The water soluble thread held it together really well so that I didn't have the additional weight and bulk of pins while I was quilting, plus I didn't have to take them out as I went or risk running over them (or sticking myself with them). I have never used the basting spray and would worry about it holding up with a quilt that large.

Prism99's idea should work even if the quilt is set on point. Marti Michell explains how to do on-point quilts in her book - really a good resource if you're going to quilt large quilts on a DSM.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:22 PM

There is a lik some where that you cut the battting and quilt in sections...hang on...looking for it.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:25 PM

here it is...http://www.diynetwork.com/videos/sew...ions/3270.html
Old 01-27-2011, 03:25 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-64610-1.htm
I did a very large quilt and divided it into three large sections. It went together easily. Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Use the nest technique instead of rolling the quilt. It's always helped me overcome similar problems.

http://daystyledesigns.com/faq.htm#roll
That is the way that I fold my quilts, my other tip is to divide it into 4 sort of!

I quilt a line right down the centre of the quilt and then a line across the side/s which divides it into 4. I then quilt 1 quarter at a time, it doesn't overpower my mind that way.

One tip tho' use a FMQ design that is not directional, I normally stick to the good ole stipple design for most of my big quilts.

Do let us know how you get on, please.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:34 PM

I'd say start in the center and branch out, just because then you can tell yourself that the worse part is over and it can only get better. While you work you will promise yourself several times that you will never do this again, but I am sure you will. Make sure to take breaks and if by any chance you can not finish, give them a picture and an IOU card. Don't stress yourself out and make sure you check the back often to make sure is not bunching, because even if you use plenty of spray, it can bunch some. Also keep you eye out for the edges. You don't want the backing to fold back and quilted into the back of the quilt...Don't ask me how I know. Make sure you are listening to the machine. It may sound different when you add an extra layer to the quilting accidentally.

Good luck and show us pictures.