Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help/advice please! >

Need help/advice please!

Need help/advice please!

Old 06-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Default Need help/advice please!

I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out -(Pictures below)

I have a panel that I want to quilt for my mom who loves sunflowers. I was going to just go around the edge then use my new stencil and pounce to do the rest. The problem is - since I had to square the fabric - I don't know how I'm going to stitch on the one side without getting into the sunflower.

Any ideas? Is there a better way to quilt this one? I thought about cutting the sunflowers out completely but I wasn't sure how that would look and I wasn't sure what to do with them if I did.

Thank you for your time and ideas!
Attached Thumbnails 2012-06-17_16-12-23_337.jpg   2012-06-17_16-11-59_74.jpg   2012-06-17_16-12-38_224.jpg  
Old 06-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

How about instead of quilting the flower ouline, you stitch the center and do a little thread painting around the middle and out into the petal a bit. It would enhance the flower look and hold the layers together nicely without quilting the outside.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:50 PM

I guess I can't figure out your question....maybe I'm just tired tonight.

Looking at your quilt --- I'd do SID for each block and then go around each building and the flowers. I'd even be tempted to put some extra batting behind the flowers (trapunto). If you follow the lines on the buildings, etc, really close it will make everything stand out really nice.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
I guess I can't figure out your question....maybe I'm just tired tonight.

Looking at your quilt --- I'd do SID for each block and then go around each building and the flowers. I'd even be tempted to put some extra batting behind the flowers (trapunto). If you follow the lines on the buildings, etc, really close it will make everything stand out really nice.
I'm sorry - that's my fault. I re-read what i originally posted - I guess I'm more tired than I thought! I'm amazed you made any sense out of what I posted at ALL - let me try again - in English this time LOL

My delimma is this - see the sunflower on the left side of the panel? There's not enough room (for me anyway) to sew on that side without going into the flower design. I'm still learning so I have to have things pretty simple. My original thought was that I could just take that panel and I could outline the whole thing and be done - easy! I should of known better huh?

I'm doing the same thing you said - it's just I don't know what to do on that one side where its a little short on material.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:02 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
How about instead of quilting the flower ouline, you stitch the center and do a little thread painting around the middle and out into the petal a bit. It would enhance the flower look and hold the layers together nicely without quilting the outside.
This is exactly what I would do. There are no quilt police to say you have to go around the outline. And it will give a contrast in style to the rest of the quilt. Put on your darning foot and try fmq. Small areas to work with (the petals) + nothing in nature is perfect, it's a win, win situation. Go google sunflower pictures for inspiration. Put on brown thread to match center of sunflower, do some small circles (random not in a line) around the edge. As you come to each petal make some lines into it; shorter at edges and longer in center. Stitch straight out into the petal then try to come back right on your same line of stitching. It doesn't 't have to be perfect. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Silver Needle; 06-17-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the idea!! It will be interesting as I quilt by hand - and I'm just learning - so it will be fun for all LOL
Old 06-17-2012, 08:18 PM

Nokie -- I agree with them....... Now I'm going to bed...
Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 AM

Don't know the answer to your question but wanted to say that I love the quilt/panel. I love sunflowers too.