Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with colors >

Need help with colors

Need help with colors

Old 04-16-2010, 07:56 AM

I am still such a newbie and leave a lot to be desired when it comes to color matching. Here's the problem, I want to make a quilt using shades of purple/lavender. Don't want to make the quilt the same color so I need help with choosing main fabric colors and accent colors. ANY help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:13 AM

It's probably easiest if you pick a focus fabric first that has the colors you want - for instance a busy print with lots of color. Then you can pick fabrics in some of the other colors in the focus fabric. Each fabric doesn't have to match each other or have all the same colors, but it looks good if they kind of blend together as a whole.

For example, if you found a busy floral with purple/lavender, pink, yellow, green, you could then look for other prints that have some of the colors in them. Like maybe a print with yellow and pink, or green and purple. Vary the size of the prints, larger flowers, smaller flowers, leaves, scrolls, etc. You can get ideas by looking at the collections by some of the manufacturers. You can mix and match. I hardly ever make anything exclusively using one collection.

Hope this helps! :)
Old 04-16-2010, 08:16 AM

Sure does help. Thank you. I am very dull when it comes to colors and patterns. Quilting is really getting me out of my shell.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 AM

You're welcome! Here's an example of what I was trying to describe. You will notice many different size prints/colors, some only a couple of the colors, yet they work well together.

http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/...=&Search_Text=
Old 04-16-2010, 08:36 AM

Oh happy day! If I can't put something together with this site, I am in trouble. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:45 AM

Hi!

Sometimes I use "school" colors as a guide. I know there are several schools with "purple & yellow" a local school is "purple & black" and one of my old schools was "purple & teal"

Somebody somewhere did the research and decided those colors looked good together - and usually, most school color combinations do look good.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Pam

Blue and goldm my school colors, scarlett and gold, USMC! Right you are!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:44 AM

Here's a fun little color wheel with lots of options to help you visualize some combinations. It's fun just to play with too.

http://colorschemedesigner.com/
Old 04-16-2010, 09:48 AM

Wow! That is awesome. Thank you.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

You could also add some fabric that has green in it and some toward pink to broaden the range. There are "value finder" tools that help you read the value of a fabric.

One way is to lay the fabrics on a copy machine and make a black and white photocopy. You can see at a glance if your selection has a nice range of value (light, medium, dark) or if they all blend. Looking at it in black and white takes the "oh but isn't this color beautiful?" trick of the eye out of the equation.