Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help FMQing with Brother Nouvelle 1500s on a Little Gracie Frame >

Need help FMQing with Brother Nouvelle 1500s on a Little Gracie Frame

Need help FMQing with Brother Nouvelle 1500s on a Little Gracie Frame

Old 09-04-2013, 03:20 PM

Default Need help FMQing with Brother Nouvelle 1500s on a Little Gracie Frame

I have had the frame and machine for 3 years, and have had trouble with thread breaking. I have tried adjusting the rails to be even with machine, using Superior Thread cone and bobbin, using Organ needle Size 14.

The machine FMQ's beautifully off the machine. When I put it on the frame it will sew great for about 15 minutes, then the thread keeps breaking.

If anyone out there uses this combination of machine and frame, I would be eternally gratefully for any assistance you can give.

Blessings on all my fellow quilters,

Darloonie
Old 09-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

you said you are using Superior Thread- but not what kind or weight...if it is 40-60 wt cotton thread a size 14 needle is too small. which could be fraying the thread. often the labels on superior threads tell you what size needle to use- if the thread you are using does not have that information on it visit their website & look it up- they have charts showing what needles to use with each thread they carry. my 100wt thread says to use a size 14 needle & loosen the top tension a slight bit. we can maybe give more help/ideas if we know what thread you are using- cotton? poly? rayon? silk? blend? and what size/wt. and --- when was the last time you changed needles? if your needle is dull, bent, has a burr, threads will break too. my *fix suggestions* would be---- change to a larger needle, loosen the top tension just a little, slow down the machine speed and see if that helps-
Old 09-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

A few things to try. (I am assuming this is *not* a top-loading bobbin.)

#1) reset your tensions. This video by Jamie Wallen is for longarms, but his method works well for other machines as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM Just be careful with the bobbin case screw. I loosened mine so much it fell out! (It's a good idea to do this inside a plastic sandwich bag so you don't lose the screw.) I couldn't get my bobbin tension as loose as Jamie's, but I got it as loose as I could before adjusting the top tension.

#2) your needle may be too small. I use a size 16 needle for FMQing on the frame, and a lot of quilters use a size 18 needle. (The needle holes close up when you wash the quilt.) A too-small needle will cause the thread to shred and eventually break.

#3) observe the top thread path. The way the thread feeds off the cone can change as you quilt. I ended up velcroing my thread stand to the machine so it would stop gradually moving off-center as I worked.

#4) how tight is your sandwich? On a frame, you generally want the sandwich quite loose. The rule of thumb is that you should be able to grasp an index finger that is pushed up from below. You may be over-tightening when you roll.

#5) how close is the quilt to the bed of the machine? Another rule-of-thumb is to keep the takeup bar about 1/4" above the bed of the machine.

#6) change to a stronger thread. I have *NO* shredding or breakdage using Glide thread in top and bobbin. Here is where I purchase Glide: http://www.bobbincentral.com/glide.html

#7) try joining the homequiltingsystems group at http://www.groups.yahoo.com . There are probably several quilters there with this setup who may be able to give you tips.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:23 PM

Prism has given you very good tips. My suggestions echo hers - a size 16 or 18 needle, and if the Superior thread you're using is Rainbows, I've never had that thread not shred.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:04 AM

use a size 16 needle and superior thread 60 wt.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

Try a topstitch needle, the eye is bigger then regular needles. I use Organ titanium coated topstitch needles for all my machines and rarely have thread issues.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:04 AM

Default Thank you for your suggestions

Originally Posted by Darloonie View Post
I have had the frame and machine for 3 years, and have had trouble with thread breaking. I have tried adjusting the rails to be even with machine, using Superior Thread cone and bobbin, using Organ needle Size 14.

The machine FMQ's beautifully off the machine. When I put it on the frame it will sew great for about 15 minutes, then the thread keeps breaking.

If anyone out there uses this combination of machine and frame, I would be eternally gratefully for any assistance you can give.

Blessings on all my fellow quilters,

Darloonie
I am amazed at your willingness to help. I am using Superior Bottom Line 60 wt with a Organ HLx5 100/16 needle. I just bought some Schmetz Topstitch size 16, and am going to try those. I am going to loosen my sandwich as suggested by Prism and am going to raise the take up bar about 1/4 inch above the bed.

Thank you all for input. I was going to get rid of the frame and machine because I was so frutstrated, but I feel like I have a little hope now. I will will let you know how it works!

God bless,

darloonie.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:14 PM

Can anyone tell me what the value of this machine would be? I have the opportunity to purchase one for $200, however, I would need to purchase the foot pedal and a manual for it (at the very least, I am not sure if the knee lever is included or what accessories also come with it at this point). I am wondering if it is worth the $200?
Old 04-27-2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by sharkluver View Post
Can anyone tell me what the value of this machine would be? I have the opportunity to purchase one for $200, however, I would need to purchase the foot pedal and a manual for it (at the very least, I am not sure if the knee lever is included or what accessories also come with it at this point). I am wondering if it is worth the $200?
We ARE talking about a Brother PQ1500, right?

You can download a manual for free from the internet. I believe a new foot pedal runs about $40. Brand new, this machine goes for $900, so if you can verify that it is in working condition, it's a very good deal. If it were me, I'd jump on it.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:26 PM

I have not verified the model yet, I am going off a picture, it says Brother Nouevelle 1500s on the front of the machine. The information on the picture says that it was purchased for over $2000, when I do a search it comes up anywhere from $700 up....