Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help with how - or whether - to quilt this

Need help with how - or whether - to quilt this

I was given a piece of fabric that seems like the prefect colors for my son's dining room, and he said he would like a runner for his buffet. Okay so far. I was also given a lovely hank of cotton I could use for backing, and of course have lots of batting.

The issue is the top -- it is probably polyester, as I threw it in the washer and it came out okay. It is silky and embroidered (photo below), and will likely show holes, but I really do not know whether to try to run stitches close to the embroidery in some places, or just span the 20" width unencumbered. . .

To quilt or not to quilt? I do not see how I could tie it, what with the embroidery.

I am using Hobbs Heirloom Cotton batting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think I'd use a brown fine silk thread and do some machine stitching following some of the curves. Just enough to hold it together with the backing and batting.
    Lori

Doggramma has good idea.

I just know it needs some kind of quilting to hold the three layers together.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Power Poster
    Yes match the background thread colour and quilt beside the embroidery swirls. It’s going to be pretty!

Totally agree with posts above. I made window valences with similar fabric.

Sorry -- I didn't realize I'd left this out there without sharing the final resolution! First of all, I ruined the silk or poly fabric with the pin holes -- could not get them to close up once pins were removed (to envelope it instead). I did have enough fabric to make it again. Secondly, the idea from the quilt shop, which I followed, was to tack it with matching [blue] thread at the "intersections" in the embroidery. This was a gift, so I am not sure how well it's behaving in their house, but it was intended to cover a buffet and not get much actual usage. Can't seem to find a photo of it at the moment.

I wouldn’t quilt it at all I would get rid of the batting & use a light weight 2sidef fusible to fuse the top & backing.

Blog Entries
    The thing about Hobbs heirloom cotton is it needs to be quilted every 2-4” so I would use a thread that is going to blend in with the background and echo, following the designs. If you use a fine thread and small needle holes shouldn’t be an issue.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

IMO, not all tablerunners need to be quilted. I'd take out the batting and add binding. It could be sandwiched, but I'm not good at that.

I was thinking the same thing - echoing around the swirls; it's a beautiful piece of fabric.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd also ditch the bat and use a stabilizer and not quilt.

Blog Entries
    Your probably not still looking for answers but I used fusible batting on a runner attaching it first to the backing with small indiscreet loose stitches, then ironed it to the top. The stitches didn’t show and everything is attached.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone