Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with a large art horse quilt >

Need help with a large art horse quilt

Need help with a large art horse quilt

Old 06-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Not a black and white horse, but a holstein cow, that I made from an actual photo. Perhaps some inspiration for you ....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]421909[/ATTACH]

More info is in this thread .......
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t114217.html
Attached Thumbnails quilted-cow-001.jpg  
Old 06-30-2013, 04:27 PM

i love the cow and fabrics. good job on it.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Have you ever done this type of work before? It sounds from the questions you are asking that this is something you really are not sure about "how to do". Like Jan I cannot really see just a horse's head on a queen size quilt plus shams with the same likeness! Maybe you should rethink doing this commissioned project
She wants the full horse on the quilt with no landscape in the background just solid background fabric, and the horse head on the shams. Working on commission is all about pleasing the customer. She loves her horse, she said she loves her girls eyes. If anything will give me a problem that might be it. Nope I've never tried to make a quilt in the likeness of a live subject. I don't believe in tossing in the towel before even trying. I have however made many appliqued quilts using various styles of applique. It's not on my list of must makes either, but its on her must have list. I quoted her a price and was sure she would say no thank you! but she said yes I'll pay more if needed! It'll be an adventure, who knows where the adventure may lead. All in all I just want to make her happy and make money in return.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:48 PM

QuiltE, Love your cow! I'm a sucker for cows, they are so cute. I know it sounds silly but we feed our neighbors cows, we've given them all names, when they here our 4 wheeler they come running, it just cracks me up! Most people don't think they have personalities but they do. So did you use a program to help you design the cow?
Old 06-30-2013, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

All I can say is Good Luck! I know someone member has the information to help you with this but that isn't me. beautiful horse!
Old 06-30-2013, 07:17 PM

I don't know if this will help at all but I watched quilt teacher Sue Rasmussen on The Quilt Show and she has a paper piecing method of constructing animals from photos that are beautiful and realistic. Here's her website http://www.suerasmussenquilts.com/ you might consider a one month subscription to The Quilt Show to watch the program she was on. Looking forward to pictures when you are done!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Sahm and LeatheFlea!

LeatheFlea ... Nope, no pattern, just went blindly into it!!! At the time I wasn't familiar with PPing at all, and now would probably go towards that. It definitely was a one-in-a-lifetime project, and probably of all the things I have done, it is the one of which I am the most proud. So many times, I came close to tossing it aside, but because the owner of the cow knew that I was working on it, I simply could not quit! If you check the link I provided, you can see the original picture that I started with ... both are hanging on my wall, side by side, and remind me to anything is possible. I think more so, if you go into it blindly!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Thanks Sahm and LeatheFlea!

LeatheFlea ... Nope, no pattern, just went blindly into it!!! At the time I wasn't familiar with PPing at all, and now would probably go towards that. It definitely was a one-in-a-lifetime project, and probably of all the things I have done, it is the one of which I am the most proud. So many times, I came close to tossing it aside, but because the owner of the cow knew that I was working on it, I simply could not quit! If you check the link I provided, you can see the original picture that I started with ... both are hanging on my wall, side by side, and remind me to anything is possible. I think more so, if you go into it blindly!
Forgive me, I should have read FULL post, I didn't see the link. I suppose I was too busy looking at the cow. Amazing how it looks so much like the photo! I would have never thought that it could be done like that. Pat yourself on the back for not throwing in the towel.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf View Post
This is the way we did this sort of thing in art school. First you need the size of the subject. Next, tape a piece of tracing paper the size of the image on the wall. take a good pic of the subject, animal or human, put the picture into a projector and project the image on the wall onto the paper. You can now trace all the important areas of the subject. Use that tracing to place your applique pieces.

After selecting your fabrics to match your subject, iron on pellon interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric, cut out your patterns from you pattern and fuse them to your background. The background should have a tracing of the subject for placement of the patches.
If I understand this method correctly its a raw edge applique? I do like the idea of the projector, rather than relying on my drawing skills.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:20 AM

What a project. good luck to you.