Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help understanding why I don't like to do certain quilts or blocks? >

Need help understanding why I don't like to do certain quilts or blocks?

Need help understanding why I don't like to do certain quilts or blocks?

Old 09-03-2016, 11:32 AM

Do what you love ! I'm more into applique, but I have made table runners that had to be pieced. I like applique better so that's what do mostly.....I'll do a pieced quilt ONLY if I really LOVE the design.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
It's easy: You don't like it so don't do it. I don't like bargellos so I won't ever make one. With all the different patterns and fabrics out there, the options are huge. I wouldn't spend precious time on something that doesn't give me joy. Now that said, I have started projects and found out that I didn't like it much after I started. Sometimes I passed the project on to someone else and sometimes I decided to finish it, just to say I did. Generally though, I have a pretty good idea what works for me and what doesn't.

As for the fabrics and colors, have you considered taking a color class? It really opened my eyes to what actually goes together and what doesn't (and why).
I have considered taking a color class because I want to know what kind of colors blend together better.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:37 PM

For color knowledge, google "color wheel." Colors next to each other (called analogous) look good together. Colors across from each other (complementary) do as well. Warm colors (colors of fire--red, yellow, orange) don't usually blend with cool (blue, green, purple) except fall colors against a blue sky! There are no hard and fast rules, but you will find yourself drawn to certain colors and shades. I personally am like you in that I need some solids in all my quilts. I don't think some of the modern "collections" necessarily "go together", but apparently the market says differently. I find too many prints side by side are chaos and I just want to tame the beast! So I do. One thing I heard recently on Fons and Porter , when you're auditioning a bunch of fabrics and aren't sure about one, ask yourself, "do I like this stack better with this one gone?" You'll soon learn to trust your instincts. It's very personal. There are some things I will probably never do--a postage stamp quilt with 1.5 " squares, a bargello, a wedding ring. They simply don't "float my boat" enough to invest the time.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:13 PM

I am new enough to quilting to be only doing what I like and I am finding more and more I like; meanwhile, the scraps are piling up. Sometime, I will do a scrappy with sashing because I think hodgepodge scrappies are unsettling to my poor eyes. However, the common sashing colors give rest so I can do one like that.

I would NEVER do a wedding ring. But my niece wants one and I am a sucker for anything she wants/needs. So will be doing a wedding ring in the near future. Now, I am looking forward to the challenge.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:27 PM

A lot of days I don't feel so good. But if i sit at the sewing machine, with a bunch of scraps and just sew them together without thinking, without matching, without making a block, I find it restful and relaxing.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:49 AM

I'm with you Jane Quilter, piecing is really relaxing to me. Takes the stress out of my life. Just sitting at the machine, sewing pieces together, hearing it hum take a lot of stress out of me. Mindless sewing you can call it and I've turned out a couple of nice scrappy quilts this way.