Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Need ideas!! How can I start quilting in this condition

Hope you heal quickly! I am sure DH will understand if it is not quite done.

Ouch, that sounds horrible. Let the poor finger rest and get better.

I'm so sorry that happened to you - but you still have ten toes to quilt with don't you? ha ha

Sweetie - I promise that If I was near Omaha, I would come help), unfortunately I'm just too far.

I feel so bad for you - but I'll bet you can get some help from that group and still make your deadline - we quilters jump in and do that. They know when you need to be finished right?

Blog Entries
    Sorry about your boo boo. Throw that can opener away! Tupperware has a very nice one, lifetime warranty as long as you do not put it in the dishwasher.It cuts the rim & has a little beak to take the lid off, it's R or L handed, very easy to use. Before I purchased this one , I was buying one every year sometimes more and had so many nicks and cuts. This one solved that issue.I have had this one 3 or 4 years. love it, comes in black or white i think. Just think positive thoughts and wishing you a speedy recovery. :-D

Sorry this happened to you . I know how you feel as I have had my finger sliced open from a razor blade a few years ago. after my stiches came out I got a sofe ball and exercised my finger. It was hard and hurt more than I could say. I did do a little hand quilting at that time but it was really hard. So good luck and keep on quilting don't let it get you down.

Oh gosh, what a bummer. Well, guess once you heal up, you will just have to get up or go to bed one hour either way to work on it. You will get better, there won't be nerve damage, you will get it done, just keep repeating to yourself.

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by Threadedneedle
    This is one of those things that proves Mom knew what she was talking about. And look into a Swing-a-Way can opener. Best at opening any type of can, IMHO. And green energy wise.
    Hey! I was gonna say that! And it's what the astronaughts used. At least that's what the packaging on the first Swing-A-Way I bought said. I got it in 1984 and it still opens cans like a dream. Never been sharpened and doesn't hurt your fingers!

Ouch! Hope you are soon on the mend. Have you ever tried quilting with your thumb? Once I learned, it became my preferred method.

Oh so sorry to see what happened to you. Thanks for warning us though, I will be much more careful when opening cans. Hope it heals up quickly.

My friend who is a candle carver did something similar right in the middle of a big order. Had to let somebody else finish it for her as it was her thumb. Has healed nicely and she's back at it again now...more carefully! So hang in there and let it rest. Thoughts and prayers your way!

Thank you all so much. I'm keeping the splint on and I'm trying not to hit it on anything. My index finger is fine so I may try quilting with that. I have seen others quilt with their thumbs....it's an idea I may try too.

It's only 10 days, not 10 weeks. I just keep trying to tell myself that.

starting quilting with another finger. Alex Anderson quilts with her thumb, I personally have not tried it yet, and I have heard that it is better on the hands. She maybe have a video out there somewhere. Just a thought. Sorry to hear about your can opener accident.

Quote Originally Posted by crafter005
    Oh how horrible. I feel your pain.

Bad, bad can opener! (Probably a very poor attempt at humor but I can't think of anything better at this point.) It better be in the trash at this point. Do not keep it. It might happen again. I am so glad to hear that the muscle was not involved. You are very lucky.

Several others have given good ideas about the can opener to buy. The idea of threading needles is a very good idea and something that you can do even if you need to do it very slowly with your non-dominant hand. At least you will still be working on the quilt.

I agree that you should try to enlist others you trust to help. I can't imagine someone not sympathic in your situation. Bribe if necessary (cookies, cakes, coffee...you get the idea). Just remember, someday others that help you may need your help as well.

Worst case scenario: DH will understand.

Best of luck and hoping for a quick recovery for you.
    Exactly my thoughts too!

What if you held the quilting needle between your thumb and first finger? With many an Aunt Becky or spoon underneath to help keep the stitches small? It would be slow but you wouldn't have to bend your quiltin' finger. I'm so sorry this happened to you!

So sorry, that is terrible!!!!

How are you feeling? I have been thinking about you ever since I saw your post! Did you get help with your quilt? I hope things are better for you now, Have a wonderful day! :lol: :lol: :thumbup: ;-)

Blog Entries
    This sent chills right through me! I feel so sorry this happened to you now when you need quilting time the most! I do hope your guild will be kind and do some of the quilting for you til you mend.
    Meanwhile, I have a suggestion, actually two:
    1. Throw the d----d can opener in the garbage.
    2. Buy a No-Hands One Touch Can Opener. They are little and go right in your kitchen drawer so they save you counter room too. You just set it on top of any size can, push the button and it goes by itself without you having your hands on it at all! It also produces a safe edge on the can so that you can't cut yourself there either. I have had mine for many years. Just have to replace the batteries once in a long while. They are not expensive. I think mine was around $17 at the time. I never use any other can opener.

Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200
    By now most everyone has seen my new big quilt. I make a bunch of small er projects throughout the year, and one big quilt. The big one this year is a surprise, and I've made it all right in front of him and he has no idea, for my DH to celebrate our tenth anniversary at the end of this year. I hand quilt and I knew I would need several months to finish it.

For anyone who hasn't read the story on it, you can find it here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36285-1.htm

So I got in a fight with my archaic can opener last night and lost. I have an archaic can opener that doesnt like to open fat cans. I opened a can of fruit most of the way last night. I am always careful when opening cans cause my mom told me when I was little that cans can cut your fingers off. I have this large plastic spoon and a large wooden spoon that I always finish opening the cans with so my hands are out of the way.

I still don't know what happened last night. The spoon slipped and the lid to the can went into my finger. I have stitches on the inside and outside of my finger. They said I was lucky because my muscles weren't touched, but they don't know the extent of the nerve damage yet because my whole hand is numb.

This is what my hand looks like now. I cant take the dressing off until tomorrow night.

[IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...1280075882.jpg[/IMG]

I have an appointment with my quilt club tomorrow night to baste my BIG surprise quilt and I cut my quilting finger!!! I have no idea what I'm going to do now. It will take 10 days before the stitches come out. Because I type for a living, they want the splint to stay on until the stitches come out.

Quilter's are wonders of inspiration and new ideas. Any suggestions out there?

Oh, so sorry! Not only for your injury, but for the slow down of your project and the stress it creates...maybe some kind of paper plan of your quilt to give him with a loving poem explaining the situation....he loves you for the effort !

your problem is an easy fix....call the friends in your quilt club tell them you are handicapped and need some help. I know they will respond..that's what quilters do. Even if the quilt is not quite finished at the right time, give dh the unfinished quilt with an IOU...DH will still be trilled

Blog Entries
    Alex Anderson suggested using your index finger to quilt. It will be awkward at first, but just take it slow and I bet in no time you will start to feel confortable with it. You never know, you may even like it better!

Ouchy....sorry that you cut your finger! I have cut my fingers on cans many times but the worst thing I did was slammed my middle finger in the dish washer door almost cut the tip of my finger off at the joint. The bone cracked and had stitches. That finger was in a cast for 6 weeks. What I did so I could do my sewing was I taped my last 3 fingers together then tucked them in the palm of my hand and used my thumb and index finger and was able to still sew.

Oh my gosh. So sorry about your finger. I like to cook and so I cook a lot. I also like sharp knives, and so I cut myself a lot. There is such an awful moment between the "slip" and when you realize that you've really cut yourself badly. It's hard to look.

Hopefully, it will heal without problems.

I think most quilters are compassionate, and would step in and do some for you. You can tell your DH when he receives it that it is a quilt of love, because so many people wanted him to have it.

Bless Your Heart! No ideas tho. Sorry. Wish I could help.

There is a thumb thimble out there, because I bought one years ago. I just don't know how to use it, but you might find some info on the internet. I know that Alex Anderson also had a non-traditional way of using her thumb to quilt away from her. Don't know if there is anything in print on that, but you might research it. Good luck!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast