Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Input, Please?

This is my first Dresden Plate quilt w/o my grandmother who passed in 2000 and it is so strange and sad w/o her to help. I can't decide which background to use or should I do something else entirely different?

I would really appreciate your input :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

My choice is the dark blue. I like how the plate stands out against it.

Blog Entries
    I like the 1st one better than the other 2, the green one next. The 2nd one looks kind of washed out, the first one pops!

Power Poster
    The different backgrounds sure give it a different look.

I like the green one the least.

I agree, the dark blue.

I like the first one. It is very pretty.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I like the first one. Whichever you choose your Gram would be proud :)

Thank you so much! I see what you're saying and agree that the 1st one is the best of the three. For some reason, it seemed "too busy" at first but now it seems to be just right. However, what about a white print similar or would it make the Plate disappear? (sorry, don't have any on hand) Or red?

They all look nice, but, I think #2 with white sashing would be really pretty. Any of them will make Grandma proud to have taught you the art of quilting. Thanks for sharing.

Dark blue is my favourite. All nice.

The first one totally rocks. It really shows off the fabric. I felt in the second one that the background was competing with the block and that the green was to heavy with the bright feel of the the block. Just me.

Do you have a preference?

What a nice job! I like the first too. It's really charming.

I like the third one best .
    shirleyt

I think the first works because you don't have a deep blue in the plate. The 2nd two kind of pull in the pieces that are similar colors and wash them out. I think you'd get the same thing with white or red since those are predominant in your plate. The background in the first is a bit busy, but the color is perfect. Perhaps you could find a more tone on tone deep blue?

Beautiful plate BTW!!

Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by HapaMom
    Thank you so much! I see what you're saying and agree that the 1st one is the best of the three. For some reason, it seemed "too busy" at first but now it seems to be just right. However, what about a white print similar or would it make the Plate disappear? (sorry, don't have any on hand) Or red?
    You were posting as I was still composing, hee hee.

I think white would wash it out and red would overpower it as you've used it in the plate already. I think that's why the dark blue seems to work so well. It's not a dominate color in the fabs you chose but it picks up from the fab you did use and incorporates just the right amount of red.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesewta
    They all look nice, but, I think #2 with white sashing would be really pretty. Any of them will make Grandma proud to have taught you the art of quilting. Thanks for sharing.
    Gosh, choked me up, thank you for that *HUGS*

Blog Entries
    The first one. Every thing pops in that one. Beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by athenagwis
    I think the first works because you don't have a deep blue in the plate. The 2nd two kind of pull in the pieces that are similar colors and wash them out. I think you'd get the same thing with white or red since those are predominant in your plate. The background in the first is a bit busy, but the color is perfect. Perhaps you could find a more tone on tone deep blue?

Beautiful plate BTW!!

Rachel
    Just got me laughing all over seeing what we posted and how close it was. :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by quiltluvr
    The first one totally rocks. It really shows off the fabric. I felt in the second one that the background was competing with the block and that the green was to heavy with the bright feel of the the block. Just me.

Do you have a preference?
    Like you I had the same feelings, the bright takes away from the Plate and makes the blue plates disappear and the green seems too dark I do prefer the dark blue but don't want to make a choice that ends up being in poor taste! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    What a nice job! I like the first too. It's really charming.
    Thank you SO much! When it comes to quilts, my preference is all about the charm, GOSH! I am SO addicted! :lol: I hope to one day be a "Master Quilter" like most of you, here. :)

Blog Entries
    I think the first one is perfect. Too dark a back ground makes it duller looking, too light washed it out and made the blues disappear into the block...

I am sure that grama is very proud of you :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by athenagwis

Beautiful plate BTW!!

Rachel
    Hey Rachel, thank you so much for your input. I am looking for a tone-on-tone deep or navy blue for that very reason, the "busy" aspect. Guess I'll need to head into town to the bigger stores w/a much larger selection. Darn, what a chore to have to go the the fabric store and search all day coz I get lost and forget what I went ther for in the first place! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by quiltluvr
    Quote Originally Posted by HapaMom
    You were posting as I was still composing, hee hee.

I think white would wash it out and red would overpower it as you've used it in the plate already. I think that's why the dark blue seems to work so well. It's not a dominate color in the fabs you chose but it picks up from the fab you did use and incorporates just the right amount of red.
    *snort* Okay ... can't thank you ladies enough. Seems I was on the right track for the right reasons *whew*

bj
    I think the dark blue background. The others are too close to the color of some of the plate slices and they don't pop as well. You are off to a good start, and what a wonderful tribute to your grandmother. She would be so proud that you are carrying on her tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt4u
    The first one. Every thing pops in that one. Beautiful.
    Thank you! :-)

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast