Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: need new sewing machine/what kind do you have??

I have a sears kenmore that is 40+ yrs old. was in a flood in 1983 and machine stayed under water for 3 days. cleaned mud off of it for a long time. still sewing on it and it sews beautifully, no fancy stitching or nothing but i love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainy Day
    I got a Janome DC2010, I am a basic sewer. It machines through layers, it is pretty quiet. I like it. I am a new quilter, so it does me fine!
    I also have 2 Janomes. One is a simple Sewist525S and the other is a bit more pricey the 6600P, it has a bigger throat space. I am buying a second hand Brother at Christmas time whch is an embroidery machine( for special gifts) What ever you decide, check out all of them, have a demonstration then if you like one but it.

For years I used a kenmore machine. A year and half ago, my husband bought me a Brother cs6000i.....I have had so much trouble with it....been in the shop twice and needs to go again. It wants to jump the timing....I got so disgusted with the machine and the Brother people....I bought a used Kenmore off E-Bay for $50 and love it!

Check out Brother machines - but go to a dealer - not WalMart - you'll get a better quality machine and and the support you need. I understand not wanting to get the top of the line, but don't get too little. When you get used to the machine and more quilting, those extra stitches are fun to have and use. Plus a variety of buttonholes, heirloom stitches and quilting stitches. You can really get a lot for very little in this computerized age!

Hi! I have two Pfaff's which I love! I had worked with Singer machines before that and just got fed up with the plastic parts breaking. My DH took me to the LA County Fair and made me try EVERY machine. The Pfaff 1471 had everything I thought I wanted. As the years went by, I just loved it more. This year, (after trying the Hobby Lock, Janome, and Brother) my DH bought me a Creative Vision, which I'm just beginning my "love affair" with. :-)
    So, I would suggest that you go someplace (like a county fair) and try all different kinds of machines to find a good fit for YOU. Or, if that's not an option for you, visit different dealers and take lots of "test drives". You'll find the perfect new machine JUST FOR YOU! Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by grammyv
    thanks to all for your wonderful advice.i will be checking out those machines! :)
    i have been quilting since 1972 with the old singer.my daughter will take it home with her to do mending on when i finally find the one i want.
    i usually have one quilt i am piecing and one on the frame at any given time.currently i am in chemo for return of breat cancer from 5 yrs ago.all will be well-but my summer and fall will be taken up by that/so,now i have two quilts in the making,two throws that are waiting to be made and my own quilt which needs to go on the frame.hope to do that this weekend.......marty
    Dear Marty,
    I have just added you to my prayer list for help and strength as you once again battle this terrible disease! All my best, Barbara

Whatever you decide to buy, get one with a few fancy stitches especially a blanket stitch for machine applique. You never know when you might want to "dress up" something with a fancy stitch and a nice varigated thread. My Kenmore which I love more that life does not have this so I use either my Janome 11000, or Brother 8500D or my new Bernina 440QE. My Kenmore is a little workhorse and I wouldn't part with it for anything.

Grammyv,
    Don't go for the really cheap new Singers, you won't be happy. They're not the quality of the older Singers.
    I like Janome and Viking. A nice mechanical machine is the Husqvarna Viking Emerald 116; its well made and sews great. Pfaffs are great machines too, especially the ones that have the IDT(full time walking foot).

I have 2 older Berninas, 930 and 1031, they are wonderful machines, never given me any problems. I bought the 930 second hand and the 1031 in 1992. They were the first good machines I ever bought myself.
    Sharon W.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandma sews
    I am new to the quilting board, but when I saw this question I just had to register so I could reply. I have had a Bernina 1230 since 1991 and I am SOOOO totally happy with it that I just had to tell you. It's one of Bernina's best. I have an older Bernina and a 1630, plus a Bernina serger and I wouldn't go with any other. That's my own opinion, of course. Every once in a while there's a 1230 on ebay, and they will still go for close to $1,000 - which is half the price of the new in 1991. Good luck to you.

I have a Pfaff 1222E w/IDT, wonderful machine; its about 35 yrs old and I'm #2 owner. Just wish it was lighter.
    I have more expensive machines in my collection, but its the one that gets used the most.
    Sharon W.

Quote Originally Posted by akrogirl
    I have several different brands in my little collection and, I have to say, it is the Pfaffs that have really won my heart. As mentioned by others, the IDT feature is wonderful and they just seem so much smoother than my other modern machines.

My first Pfaff purchase was a used 2054/56 and it is a great machine. I quilted my first cheater quilt using invisible thread both top and bottom, because I didn't know any better, lol, and this machine didn't blink once!

The biggest recommendation I can make is be sure it has a walking foot, what ever type of machine. This probably is really obvious to most of us but I sewed on a machine without a walking foot for years. What a difference when you have one, expecially if you quilt as you go. I have a Janome, which I really enjoy, although some of the comments on this thread re the Juki have really caught my attention. I would really like a work horse type machine with a larger space under the arm.

Blog Entries
    Most machines don't have a built in walking foot but you can get a walking foot for just about any machine.

What you need if you only want one is a lightweight machine that you can CARRY to any workshops that you may want to go to. The little Jamone525S is fine for that and the walking foot was with it.(I think) but as others have said - go to a dealer so you can get all the help you need even when the guarantee runs out. the become your new friends.

Chemo is rough but you can handle it with the help of God, family and friends. I am almost five years out of chemo. I am truly blessed and very thankful to be here.

The Janome6600P does have a built-in walking foot. I use it all the time. My 525S has it's as an attachment.

The best machine is the one you love. Try out the machine before you buy it. I have 2 Singers, a brand-new one (last year) and an old feather weight that my DH found in a thrift store for $5.00. It pays to be married to a man who knows his antiques and does most of his shopping at thrift stores. I love my feather weight.

I know what you mean about getting a sewing machine for graduation...I got one for my high school graduation in 1967 and about wore it out. I was straight stitching but I could move the needle position from side to side which helped in putting in zippers. Fast forward to your question... I bought myself a Baby Lock Espire (floor model) as a retirement gift to myself two years ago. it is not real fancy and is not programable but it does have decorative stitches that I can just punch -- The only thing I don't like about it is that the needle position is programmed to be on the left. Wtih my quarter inch foot always on, if I don't change the needle position to the center and start to sew--BAM! the needle hits the foot and breaks it. Whcih I have done abut a million times. The shop where I bought this machine also gave me a one hours class, one on one, to learn to use all the feet that came with it, button holes, sewing on buttons, etc. So, you might just want to find a sewing machine shop and see if they will give you a good deal on a floor model when they update that particular model. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sbrown04
    The only thing I don't like about it is that the needle position is programmed to be on the left. Wtih my quarter inch foot always on, if I don't change the needle position to the center and start to sew--BAM! the needle hits the foot and breaks it. Whcih I have done abut a million times.
    sbrown04 - I have a little Brother CS4000 as a back up machine, and it has the same odd (to me anyway) needle orientation....boy do those needles go flying! :wink: but it is a nice little machine, and the decorative stitches can go up to 7mm width. It is surprising how much nicer they are at that width.

Blog Entries
    I have a Babylock Esante (sewing / embroidery) and absolutely love it. If I were buying a new machine without embroidery, I would definitely consider the new Babylock Symphony. It has a lot of stitches, some cool bells & whistles...price $1800. Good hunting.

thank you so much.i am doing very well and i think my oncologist will be happy with the results so far.i believe in 2 weeks i will be 1/2 way done with treatment.hope you and yours are well,marty on the machine front,i have looked at a viking last saturday that was nice.fairly quiet,learning curve not too bad.auto threader-that was nice.looked at a dc4030 janome today.still looking-but i do like that one!:)

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Grammyv,
    Don't go for the really cheap new Singers, you won't be happy. They're not the quality of the older Singers.
    I like Janome and Viking. A nice mechanical machine is the Husqvarna Viking Emerald 116; its well made and sews great. Pfaffs are great machines too, especially the ones that have the IDT(full time walking foot).
    yes, i did ask about the new singer-was surprised to see that they still make a stylist-but the saleslady said they are loud.so i didnt look at them.

Some of the newer Janomes have a button for scissors which when you are in the middle of your quilt, just push that button and it cuts the threads top and bottom so you don't have to fight the quilt to cut the bottom thread.

I have the Bernina 220 and just love it, it is a workhorse and can do quite a few 'fancy' stitches, dropping the feed dogs is a breeze and it does FMQ nicely as well as everything else. There are other pricey Bernina's and some specifically for quilters, it all depends on how much you want to spend. A quality machine will cost $$$. I recommend you go to a Bernina dealer and see and test the machines out for yourself.
    Kind Regards,
    MaryAnna

Quote Originally Posted by Annya
    Some of the newer Janomes have a button for scissors which when you are in the middle of your quilt, just push that button and it cuts the threads top and bottom so you don't have to fight the quilt to cut the bottom thread.
    Yes, the thread cutter that are like scissors are wonderful. Between that and the knee lifter I tend to choose my Janome 6500 to sew on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annya
    Yes, the thread cutter that are like scissors are wonderful. Between that and the knee lifter I tend to choose my Janome 6500 to sew on.
    Most of the Babylocks have these features too....you will get spoiled with the features very fast.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast